Peephole in Epcot bathroom?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's certainly crappy maintenance (pun very much intended), but I don't know anyone with a telescopic eyeball that would be able to see anything through that gap. Unless there has been a surge in call-outs in Epcot due to pink eye, I think we can chalk this up to poor workmanship and neglected maintenance.
Boroscope with digital camera…home depot isle six

Beacon Joe

Oh well. Looks like a temporary closure and another refurb is in order.

At the next D23, CEO Bob Chapek will excitedly announce, "We know that privacy is a chief concern for our park guests, so I am happy to announce the Doody+ system. For a reasonable usage-variable fee, guests can book time in a certified Pervert-Free bathroom stall. And because our guests love options, for an additional fee per paper square, guests can also purchase toilet paper that is more luxurious than the standard 0.1 micron sheets available in park toilet stalls. We at Disney are truly proud of this innovation and dedication to guest experience!"

Lilofan

At the next D23, CEO Bob Chapek will excitedly announce, "We know that privacy is a chief concern for our park guests, so I am happy to announce the Doody+ system. For a reasonable usage-variable fee, guests can book time in a certified Pervert-Free bathroom stall. And because our guests love options, for an additional fee per paper square, guests can also purchase toilet paper that is more luxurious than the standard 0.1 micron sheets available in park toilet stalls. We at Disney are truly proud of this innovation and dedication to guest experience!"
There are pay to use toilets still in use in public areas in Europe. Never say never pay to use toilets coming across the pond.

Beacon Joe

There are pay to use toilets still in use in public areas in Europe. Never say never pay to use toilets coming across the pond.

Ha. I've used quite a few of those, but didn't even think of that angle. I suppose Chapek could also excitedly announce "improving the immersion of European pavilions in EPCOT by instituting distinctively continental pay toilets, complete with the old towel lady you also tip when you leave."

ETA: It's one reason I love visiting South of the Border's bathrooms next to their gas station. I feel like I'm back in Europe when the towel dude is in there asking for a tip.

lazyboy97o

View attachment 631652

Look at the grout lines from the adjacent tiles. One of two things happened. Either there's supposed to be a thin strip of tile in between the top of the toilet and the grout line where the next tile begins and this bit of partial tile crumbled away, or (more likely IMO) the toilet was supposed to be mounted higher up, adjacent to the tile above it. It looks to me like the whole toilet has sunken lower than where it was originally installed.

The hole isn't cut/drilled through the wall, it's a gap in between the tile above and the toilet below.

Yeah I do. If you peeled all of that grout away I think the gap would go the width of the toilet.
The toilet fixture does not go into the wall. The tile is not installed around the toilet. The installation process is carrier, wall including and then the toilet fixture. The tile should be near continuous except for holes at the pipe(s) and bolts. Part of that wall-carrier assembly should include flanges to protect these openings. The guy doing the tile likely doesn’t know what toilet is being installed, so even if he was being sloppy and just leaving a very big hole at the carrier, he wouldn’t know the exact contour to try and follow.

Improper placement of the wheelchair toilet is all too common, but fixing that horizontally means moving the carrier which would not be easily done with a wall already in place.

Disstevefan1

PleaseFixRestrooms.jpg

JoeCamel

Ha. I've used quite a few of those, but didn't even think of that angle. I suppose Chapek could also excitedly announce "improving the immersion of European pavilions in EPCOT by instituting distinctively continental pay toilets, complete with the old towel lady you also tip when you leave."

ETA: It's one reason I love visiting South of the Border's bathrooms next to their gas station. I feel like I'm back in Europe when the towel dude is in there asking for a tip.
Wait until you see the setup Chappie is installing in France......

Chip Chipperson

Another pie e of evidence against the "employee peephole" theory: there appears to be pieces of crumbled grout around the hole, which would indicate that someone inside the stall pulled the hole open (or at least made it bigger).

LittleBuford

So are people suggesting that a peephole was actually created at the point of installation? That would mean that the person responsible for installing the toilet (who can't have been a CM) colluded with, or took orders from, a CM who was already planning to spy on guests through such a hole. This seems highly improbable to me, and it also leaves us with the issue I pointed to earlier: the hole looks up, not across at the person using the toilet. The most one could see from it is the ceiling and perhaps the metal bar behind the toilet.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
So are people suggesting that a peephole was actually created at the point of installation? That would mean that the person responsible for installing the toilet (who can't have been a CM) colluded with, or took orders from, a CM who was already planning to spy on people through such a hole even as the work was being carried out. This seems highly improbable to me, and it also leaves us with the issue I pointed to earlier: the hole looks up, not across at the person using the toilet. The most one could see from it is the ceiling and perhaps the metal bar behind the toilet.
They also would have had to know the dimensions and exact placement of the tile being installed, marked those measurements on the backstage side of the wall, and cut out the substrate material exactly where it lined up with the seam of the grout, caulk, and porcelain.

Chip Chipperson

The grout has to be on top of something.

Perhaps the wood behind the caulk was rotting from a leak or they got lazy and tried to spread the caulk over some sort of tape. It's not like the rest of the caulking has a professional look to it. It's just some silicone (or siliconized latex) caulk trying to patch an overall embarrassingly bad installation/repair.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom