Peephole in Epcot bathroom?

ImperfectPixie

Based on the grout lines in the picture below, the hole appears to be directly under a complete tile in a spot where (if I understand correctly) one wouldn’t expect to find more tilework anyway. Am I misinterpreting the image?

View attachment 632739
You're misunderstanding how a wall-mounted toilet is installed. The tile continues behind the fixture. The only holes are for the supply and drain pipes and two much smaller holes are drilled for bolts. They don't leave a large area of wall untiled just because a fixture is going to cover it.

Chip Chipperson

Again, why are there these extra holes in the tile around the perimeter of the fixture? Why does this just happen to line up with a hole in the wall that also really shouldn’t be there?

I addressed that, a hole in the substrate doesn’t cause a hole in the tile. Yes corners are weak but this is a tile that has other holes cut in it as well, so it’s a very neat break at the right spot.

It looks to me like the hole lines up perfectly with the bottom of the tile, which suggests that the hole in the wall is really a gap that runs the entire length of the toilet fixture - and that's why the caulk is so wide and sloppy along the entire seam. The exposed hole is just where the caulk failed and someone appears to have pulled at it to make the hole bigger.

lazyboy97o

Based on the grout lines in the picture below, the hole appears to be directly under a complete tile in a spot where (if I understand correctly) one wouldn’t expect to find more tilework anyway. Am I misinterpreting the image?

View attachment 632739
One would expect to find tile there. Go look at the carrier installation instructions. The finish wall continues behind the toilet.

It looks to me like the hole lines up perfectly with the bottom of the tile, which suggests that the hole in the wall is really a gap that runs the entire length of the toilet fixture - and that's why the caulk is so wide and sloppy along the entire seam. The exposed hole is just where the caulk failed and someone appears to have pulled at it to make the hole bigger.
There is no reason for there to be a gap in the tile along the top of the fixture. That would be very fine tile cutting work which is why I have said a lot of these hypotheticals require both very sloppy work and very skilled work.

DisneyCane

You're misunderstanding how a wall-mounted toilet is installed. The tile continues behind the fixture. The only holes are for the supply and drain pipes and two much smaller holes are drilled for bolts. They don't leave a large area of wall untiled just because a fixture is going to cover it.
My guess would be that somebody hit the area with a tool while installing the toilet which broke through. Then they covered it with caulk which later peeled away from being rubbed during cleaning without any support where the hole is.

Chip Chipperson

One would expect to find tile there. Go look at the carrier installation instructions. The finish wall continues behind the toilet.

There is no reason for there to be a gap in the tile along the top of the fixture. That would be very fine tile cutting work which is why I have said a lot of these hypotheticals require both very sloppy work and very skilled work.

Wouldn't the alternative be that someone drilled through the tile without otherwise damaging the tile? There should be noticeable cracks in the tiles at the very least if a hole was drilled. If someone was going to go through the trouble of drilling a peephole and using a telescopic camera to peep (which is really the only way to see anything given the direction and placement of the hole), wouldn't it be much easier to go through the ceiling and put a small camera where it is less likely to be noticed? I would hope that the average guest would see a camera poking out of a hole in the toilet and not shrug it off. In this case, there would be 3 possible scenarios:

1. A camera was used, but not a single guest ever noticed it.
2. A camera was used and at least 1 guest noticed but chose not to report it to the police.
3. A camera was used, a guest noticed it and reported it to the police, and nobody in the media ever picked up on the story.

To me, none of those scenarios seem more likely than the hole being the result of lazy work and not being a peephole.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I addressed that, a hole in the substrate doesn’t cause a hole in the tile. Yes corners are weak but this is a tile that has other holes cut in it as well, so it’s a very neat break at the right spot.
Dude, normally you are pretty sharp.. but I have no idea why you are having such a hard time following this one.

Broken tile or hole in wall are both possible from simply sloppy work or corner cutting during prior rework/repair. You keep going on about these cascading sequences that do not mean anything when we're simply talking about STUPID HUMAN CHOICES. There are plenty of signs of stupid human choices in that stall.

You keep going on about how it SHOULD be done... while dismissing other possibilities as some impossible sequence of events.. and now trying to make them into some autonomous sequence no one is suggesting. Instead of facing what people have said which is simply stupid human choices during work. Choices that are not improbable because such corner cutting is done all the time. There are plenty of possibilities of why the wall and title might have been disturbed.

There is no reason to have a 1.5" wide caulk line unless someone cheated the work behind the caulk line in the first place. Unless you are suggesting the pervert went in and made this hole, then created this caulk line, waited for it to dry enough that it could be brittle, THEN went back and broke it out? Talk about improbable...

ImperfectPixie

Dude, normally you are pretty sharp.. but I have no idea why you are having such a hard time following this one.

Broken tile or hole in wall are both possible from simply sloppy work or corner cutting during prior rework/repair. You keep going on about these cascading sequences that do not mean anything when we're simply talking about STUPID HUMAN CHOICES. There are plenty of signs of stupid human choices in that stall.

You keep going on about how it SHOULD be done... while dismissing other possibilities as some impossible sequence of events.. and now trying to make them into some autonomous sequence no one is suggesting. Instead of facing what people have said which is simply stupid human choices during work. Choices that are not improbable because such corner cutting is done all the time. There are plenty of possibilities of why the wall and title might have been disturbed.

There is no reason to have a 1.5" wide caulk line unless someone cheated the work behind the caulk line in the first place. Unless you are suggesting the pervert went in and made this hole, then created this caulk line, waited for it to dry enough that it could be brittle, THEN went back and broke it out? Talk about improbable...
1) That caulk line isn't 1.5" even where it's sloppy.
2) Caulk doesn't become brittle.
3) Leaving the wall behind the toilet untiled during installation would be MORE EXPENSIVE (both short and long-term) than just tiling the whole wall and drilling the necessary holes.

ETA: No tile guy is going to carefully cut tiles to go around something unless they absolutely have to. It's tricky work.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Wouldn't the alternative be that someone drilled through the tile without otherwise damaging the tile? There should be noticeable cracks in the tiles at the very least if a hole was drilled. If someone was going to go through the trouble of drilling a peephole and using a telescopic camera to peep (which is really the only way to see anything given the direction and placement of the hole), wouldn't it be much easier to go through the ceiling and put a small camera where it is less likely to be noticed? I would hope that the average guest would see a camera poking out of a hole in the toilet and not shrug it off. In this case, there would be 3 possible scenarios:

1. A camera was used, but not a single guest ever noticed it.
2. A camera was used and at least 1 guest noticed but chose not to report it to the police.
3. A camera was used, a guest noticed it and reported it to the police, and nobody in the media ever picked up on the story.

To me, none of those scenarios seem more likely than the hole being the result of lazy work and not being a peephole.
No, a drill would not damage the other tiles if the right bit was used. We don’t see cracks around the grab bars which involves drilling through the tile. You don’t see racks at things like surface mounted soap and paper toilet dispensers.

A camera would not need to poke out of the hole, it could easily sit within. Given that most people seem to think that a hole there is expected, it seems doubtful that many people would even notice or consider the hole to be an issue.

flynnibus

Premium Member
1) That caulk line isn't 1.5" even where it's sloppy.
2) Caulk doesn't become brittle.
3) Leaving the wall untiled during installation would be MORE EXPENSIVE (both short and long-term) than just tiling the whole wall and drilling the necessary holes.
1 - it's something of that magnitude.. it's overlapping the fixture like 3/4" alone in places. That's why it stands out as such crap and why there is such a large hole possible without it being a hole in the porcelain fixture itself.
2 - Yes it does, when it ages... which is why I make the point. Have you ever tried to get sharp lines in soft caulk after it's been applied? Look at the photo, it's got edges like breaks/sharp lines.. It's not drilled, it's not cut... it looks like something that broke. How do you get soft caulk to break? (Hint: you don't)
3) Again, stop thinking purely about initial build or a full refurb. Think of the situation of repair/replace. Wall/tile gets damaged by the public or while doing work. Plumber is there to fix... plumber isn't there to retile the wall.. he's there to fix the fixture. They decide to cut corners and decide the damage is superficial and can be covered up... they remount the fixture and leave the damaged or incomplete tile behind it. The grout in the tile is failing too... which suggests there is other substandard work there with the stability of the tile in that area. That's either bad mix, or movement.

lazyboy97o

How things should be inform how sloppy work is done. There are patterns to how the corners cut and how materials fail. Even stupid choices don’t just cause small holes in walls like this. I’m not just drawing on pure constructs, but my experience fixing shoddy work where bathrooms are king.

ImperfectPixie

1 - it's something of that magnitude.. it's overlapping the fixture like 3/4" alone in places. That's why it stands out as such crap and why there is such a large hole possible without it being a hole in the porcelain fixture itself.
2 - Yes it does, when it ages... which is why I make the point. Have you ever tried to get sharp lines in soft caulk after it's been applied? Look at the photo, it's got edges like breaks/sharp lines.. It's not drilled, it's not cut... it looks like something that broke. How do you get soft caulk to break? (Hint: you don't)
3) Again, stop thinking purely about initial build or a full refurb. Think of the situation of repair/replace. Wall/tile gets damaged by the public or while doing work. Plumber is there to fix... plumber isn't there to retile the wall.. he's there to fix the fixture. They decide to cut corners and decide the damage is superficial and can be covered up... they remount the fixture and leave the damaged or incomplete tile behind it. The grout in the tile is failing too... which suggests there is other substandard work there with the stability of the tile in that area. That's either bad mix, or movement.
CAULK DOES NOT BECOME BRITTLE. It doesn't stay super soft, but even when it's 20 years old, it's not brittle - it doesn't snap like a piece of grout snaps. It tears. It doesn't have much elasticity at 20 years old, but there is still some, which is why it will still bend at that age.

I'm not thinking only about initial build or full refurb. You'd have a better chance of winning the lottery than encountering the set of circumstances you're describing that could possibly create a hole at that exact spot that goes not just through the tile, but all the way through the wallboard, to the point that you can see the area behind it.

MOVEMENT would create problems AT THE CORNERS of the fixture. Not in the middle of the top of the fixture (and in a corner sheltered by a bump-up, no less).

lazyboy97o

Damage that is somehow strong enough to break the tile but not damage any of the adjacent tiles. Plumbing work that isn’t being done in the chase where the major components are located. Even if just the fixture is being replaced, something hitting that corner just right so that it doesn’t extend further down or across is quite the coincidence.

Chip Chipperson

No, a drill would not damage the other tiles if the right bit was used. We don’t see cracks around the grab bars which involves drilling through the tile. You don’t see racks at things like surface mounted soap and paper toilet dispensers.

A camera would not need to poke out of the hole, it could easily sit within. Given that most people seem to think that a hole there is expected, it seems doubtful that many people would even notice or consider the hole to be an issue.

OK, so let's accept that the perp had the correct drill bit for drilling a hole through the tile that wouldn't cause any damage. The hole still appears to point up rather than over, so a camera would need to poke out or else it would be pointing at the ceiling. And if the person just has a bathroom ceiling fetish, they don't need to go through all that trouble. And none of that explains why the caulk is so think across the entire fixture. You have stated that the toilet isn't attached to the wall itself, so isn't it possible that the toilet was a replacement for an older toilet and a new pipe was used that was just a little too long, thus causing a gap between the wall and the toilet that was then lazily filled with caulk rather than going through the trouble of correcting the length of the pipe?

Also, it is disingenuous to say that anyone here thinks a hole is "expected" there. Anyone who has suggested that it isn't a peephole has been saying that it's the result of shoddy work, which would be the exact opposite of saying that it is "expected." There's no need to misrepresent what others are saying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom