Peephole in Epcot bathroom?

flynnibus

Premium Member
We’re not talking about small tiles. We’re talking about a single massive tile that just so happened to break so that it aligns with an existing hole and was placed so late that it couldn’t but cut for use somewhere else like a corner, all with the hope that a likely unknown toilet.

No, I'm not saying these are isolated events that magically happen in the same spot - We know that issues with tile can involve issues with the substrate or vise versa. And not some random spot.. but a spot related to a fixture installation.

The parts for new construction are the same for renovation. I am plenty familiar with commercial renovations and the chaos of unknown existing conditions. That is exactly part of why I find the idea of everything aligning so perfectly to be suspicious. It’s layer and layers of poor work all at one point at level that is not repeated elsewhere. It’s meh work but most of these hypotheticals require simultaneous extremely poor work and extremely skilled work across different people.
As much as you like to keep talking about improbabilities... you keep avoiding the elephant in the room.. the obvious shoddy work everyone sees that is clearly there, and not something some pervert did.

When you look at one fixture and see 3 things wrong... it's a high probability there is alot more wrong you can't see. We're not questioning some pure setup.. it's clearly crap.

Matthew

I saw this thread and at the end of last week and didn't think it would make it to 15 pages 😂😂 I honestly don't think that's a peep hole... shoddy maintenance is a thousand times more likely.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

The toilet has to be anchored to the floor. A plumber has to be able to fix the flush valve. It isn’t over a utilidor.
Part of my point exactly. You have to be pretty desperate to lie on the floor only to look at ones right butt cheek. I've been around long enough to know simple shoddy workmanship when I see it. It's all the automatic statements of Peeping that is BS. There could be a thousand ways to explain what we are seeing and none of the them mean someone is sneaking a peek. what that indicates is people that watched Porky's a lot more then once are knee jerk reacting to it with the worst case scenario. I still maintain that the opening is in front of the wall not through it.

And it would take a whole lot more then that tiny hole, even if it was through the wall to weaken it at all. It really is a baseless concern. If it turns out that we see a news report that a wall collapsed in a WDW restroom due to a quarter sized hole. I will apologize.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

EatingPopcorn.gif

Goofyernmost

To summarize the last 15 pages:

- it's probably not an intentional peephole
- the woman's concern is still valid
- the fact that the stall wasn't closed off as soon as she reported it is bad
- the fact that it was still there a week later is worse
Why the hell can't someone just stuff a wad of TP in the hole and let life go on. If people are not part of the solution they must be part of the problem. Is it the ideal solution, of course not, but it will temporarily fix what I feel is a minor problem. Good grief!

ImperfectPixie

Why the hell can't someone just stuff a wad of TP in the hole and let life go on. If people are not part of the solution they must be part of the problem. Is it the ideal solution, of course not, but it will temporarily fix what I feel is a minor problem. Good grief!
The girl who made the two videos did exactly that...she showed it in the second one.

celluloid

I was a tad tongue in cheek there, Skip…

But I do believe this is a ridiculous thing to debate in circles ultimately.

They’ve had hostage situations in their hotels that have gotten less play. So did the PI “bombing”

Or the Murder attempt, hostage situation in the nearby Imagination restroom at the same park.

Granted. It is terrible that this has been said to have been reported and nothing done at all. The company could easily spackle it in a sense in the meantime the same way people say guests should stuff toilet paper in it.

lazyboy97o

No, I'm not saying these are isolated events that magically happen in the same spot - We know that issues with tile can involve issues with the substrate or vise versa. And not some random spot.. but a spot related to a fixture installation.

As much as you like to keep talking about improbabilities... you keep avoiding the elephant in the room.. the obvious shoddy work everyone sees that is clearly there, and not something some pervert did.

When you look at one fixture and see 3 things wrong... it's a high probability there is alot more wrong you can't see. We're not questioning some pure setup.. it's clearly crap.
I deal with shoddy work all of the time. Bathrooms are ripe with shoddy work but you still don’t just see holes right through walls. It’s not how the materials tend to fail.

You were previously dismissive of the idea that the wall is dangerous and compromised, but that is now very much what you are postulating. The substrate is the wall. If there is movement so extreme as to cause a hole it isn’t going to cause a single small hole. These aren’t mosaic tiles that can shift in the mortar bed, they’re large tiles that would have wide cracks. Water damage would extend far if it is extensive enough to cause a hole in a vertical surface. That’s really bad and potentially quite dangerous if it’s happening in a stud wall, even more so if it is a block wall. Yes, the hole in the wall could have been pre-existing from something else like the prior fixture, but then we’re still heading back to the magic spot that whatever happened (wall movement, impact, whatever) just happened to that one tile that was aligned just right with the existing hole.

lazyboy97o

No, people absolutely should not just be shoving their fingers and objects into holes in walls. There is clearly metal lathe visible in the video that could ensnare a finger and the broken edges of tile can also be incredibly sharp.

Chip Chipperson

I deal with shoddy work all of the time. Bathrooms are ripe with shoddy work but you still don’t just see holes right through walls. It’s not how the materials tend to fail.

You were previously dismissive of the idea that the wall is dangerous and compromised, but that is now very much what you are postulating. The substrate is the wall. If there is movement so extreme as to cause a hole it isn’t going to cause a single small hole. These aren’t mosaic tiles that can shift in the mortar bed, they’re large tiles that would have wide cracks. Water damage would extend far if it is extensive enough to cause a hole in a vertical surface. That’s really bad and potentially quite dangerous if it’s happening in a stud wall, even more so if it is a block wall. Yes, the hole in the wall could have been pre-existing from something else like the prior fixture, but then we’re still heading back to the magic spot that whatever happened (wall movement, impact, whatever) just happened to that one tile that was aligned just right with the existing hole.

I think it's clear from the width of the sloppy caulk job that the visible hole isn't the only spot where there's a gap behind the toilet. The hole is just where the caulk failed and someone appears to have pulled at it to expose it.

flynnibus

Premium Member

You were previously dismissive of the idea that the wall is dangerous and compromised, but that is now very much what you are postulating.

It absolutely is not. You have things backwards. I never suggested movement caused a hole - i said movement is a common cause of grout failure. You have the sequence backwards. I said the hole in the substrate could have been part of sloppy work or part of prior damage.

lazyboy97o

I think it's clear from the width of the sloppy caulk job that the visible hole isn't the only spot where there's a gap behind the toilet. The hole is just where the caulk failed and someone appears to have pulled at it to expose it.
Again, why are there these extra holes in the tile around the perimeter of the fixture? Why does this just happen to line up with a hole in the wall that also really shouldn’t be there?

It absolutely is not. You have things backwards. I never suggested movement caused a hole - i said movement is a common cause of grout failure. You have the sequence backwards. I said the hole in the substrate could have been part of sloppy work or part of prior damage.
I addressed that, a hole in the substrate doesn’t cause a hole in the tile. Yes corners are weak but this is a tile that has other holes cut in it as well, so it’s a very neat break at the right spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBuford

Again, why are there these extra holes in the tile around the perimeter of the fixture? Why does this just happen to line up with a hole in the wall that also really shouldn’t be there?
I don’t think anyone is suggesting that there is a small hole in the tile that just happens to align with a small hole in the wall, but rather that there is a larger gap behind the toilet (the result of bad measuring or left over from an earlier installation) that the caulk is attempting to cover up.

lazyboy97o

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that there is a small hole in the tile that just happens to align with a small hole in the wall, but rather that there is a larger gap behind the toilet (the result of bad measuring or left over from an earlier installation) that the caulk is attempting to cover up.
Why would there be a larger gap? The carrier is installed before the tile, so measuring and cutting isn’t a guess, it’s based on what is right there and this is way off. Being from a prior fixture means it’s one that required an opening there, which would be atypical, and that the current fixture just happened to fit perfectly onto the existing carrier, aligning the bolts, pipes and even the top of the toilet seat so that it is within the 2” area required by state and federal law. Strange things happen in old buildings but it’s a lot of things to line up just right to just assume and wave off.

DznyRktekt

Astonishing how direct knowledge of commercial plumbing installation practices has been communicated repeatedly, with Zurn carrier diagrams furnished as visual confirmation, and this continues to be dismissed and debated again and again. What more do you want? Wall hung fixture carriers are installed before the porcelain throne is installed. So is the wall substrate and wall finish. To replace the wall finish, the porcelain fixture is unbolted, removed and the tile is changed out and the fixture reinstalled. These are common construction practices used in virtually every commercial toilet room across the country. Sheesh.

LittleBuford

Why would there be a larger gap? The carrier is installed before the tile, so measuring and cutting isn’t a guess, it’s based on what is right there and this is way off.
Based on the grout lines in the picture below, the hole appears to be directly under a complete tile in a spot where (if I understand correctly) one wouldn’t expect to find more tilework anyway. Am I misinterpreting the image?

DE2D14AE-7A1D-4223-A192-A22AFD9C9E24.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom