Peephole in Epcot bathroom?

ImperfectPixie

OK, so let's accept that the perp had the correct drill bit for drilling a hole through the tile that wouldn't cause any damage. The hole still appears to point up rather than over, so a camera would need to poke out or else it would be pointing at the ceiling. And if the person just has a bathroom ceiling fetish, they don't need to go through all that trouble. And none of that explains why the caulk is so think across the entire fixture. You have stated that the toilet isn't attached to the wall itself, so isn't it possible that the toilet was a replacement for an older toilet and a new pipe was used that was just a little too long, thus causing a gap between the wall and the toilet that was then lazily filled with caulk rather than going through the trouble of correcting the length of the pipe?

Also, it is disingenuous to say that anyone here thinks a hole is "expected" there. Anyone who has suggested that it isn't a peephole has been saying that it's the result of shoddy work, which would be the exact opposite of saying that it is "expected." There's no need to misrepresent what others are saying.
Using caulk to fill a gap between the toilet and wall doesn't explain the missing tile and wallboard.

Also, the hole appears to be at an upwards angle because that's the way it was shot in the video - she couldn't get more angles of it without putting her phone on/in the toilet itself (not something I'd do). If we were to go into that area behind the wall, I'd bet money that the hole in the wallboard is larger than the hole in the caulk.

If you look at the caulk along the bump-up in the top of the toilet, you can see that it's much cleaner and more professional looking than where the hole is.

flynnibus

Premium Member
CAULK DOES NOT BECOME BRITTLE. It doesn't stay super soft, but even when it's 20 years old, it's not brittle - it doesn't snap like a piece of grout snaps. It tears. It doesn't have much elasticity at 20 years old, but there is still some, which is why it will still bend at that age.
So how are you suggesting this hole IN THE CAULK was made?

I'm not thinking only about initial build or full refurb. You'd have a better chance of winning the lottery than encountering the set of circumstances you're describing that could possibly create a hole at that exact spot that goes not just through the tile, but all the way through the wallboard, to the point that you can see the area behind it.
You've never damage to a wall when someone rips a fixture off the wall?
You've never seen someone damage wallboard when removing tile?
You've never seen someone try to modify a finished wall when dealing with refits?

All I'm saying is, just because you SHOULD have a full finished tile wall there and complete backerboard doesn't mean you DO - because people do stupid things when they are tasked to 'just make it work'. Maybe they had had to replace the unit, and had to modify the finished wall and simply SCREWED IT UP when they did it, and covered it up.

You keep making it sound like repairs not going smoothly is winning the lottery - yet have no story for why the spot is so screwed up irregardless of the hole.

MOVEMENT would create problems AT THE CORNERS of the fixture. Not in the middle of the top of the fixture (and in a corner sheltered by a bump-up, no less).
I was talking about the grout failing in the vertical grouth lines between the wall tile that is visible above the fixture.

Movement I was referring to was movement in the substrate (the wallboard). Movement that shouldn't happen, if everything was installed as it should be. But obviously it has - suggesting there is more screwed up here than a 1" hole.

Disstevefan1

Welllll it seems the only remaining solution is to put up construction walls around the bathrooms (that will blend them in with their surroundings while the hole issue is addressed) demolish them and build new ones! (that will probably open to the public some time in 2024).
Just what EPCOT needs, more construction walls. Since this involves plumbing, the completion of Moana will be delayed 😉

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you look at the caulk along the bump-up in the top of the toilet, you can see that it's much cleaner and more professional looking than where the hole is.
NO ITS NOT - you can see the finger smeared caulk all over the fixture itself.

Inconsistent bead
Too wide - spread all over wall and fixture
Finger smeared but not cleaned up
Thin smear all over the fixture
Bead goes from excess and smeared everywhere on left side to basically being dry and incomplete on right side

The bead should cover the transition between the two pieces and extend no more than about 1/8" onto each surface for a total bead around 1/4" when cleaned up. This is a total #%#$ show of a caulk job. Which is why it appears to be really poorly installed or repaired. And it's not new.. you can see the caulk separating on both the left and right side of the toilet fixture.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 12.18.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 12.18.07 PM.png
    311.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 12.18.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 12.18.22 PM.png
    409.4 KB · Views: 68

lazyboy97o

OK, so let's accept that the perp had the correct drill bit for drilling a hole through the tile that wouldn't cause any damage. The hole still appears to point up rather than over, so a camera would need to poke out or else it would be pointing at the ceiling. And if the person just has a bathroom ceiling fetish, they don't need to go through all that trouble. And none of that explains why the caulk is so think across the entire fixture. You have stated that the toilet isn't attached to the wall itself, so isn't it possible that the toilet was a replacement for an older toilet and a new pipe was used that was just a little too long, thus causing a gap between the wall and the toilet that was then lazily filled with caulk rather than going through the trouble of correcting the length of the pipe?

Also, it is disingenuous to say that anyone here thinks a hole is "expected" there. Anyone who has suggested that it isn't a peephole has been saying that it's the result of shoddy work, which would be the exact opposite of saying that it is "expected." There's no need to misrepresent what others are saying.
Having the right drill bit isn’t some huge assumption for someone who would also have access to the chase. Even if one wasn’t available, a small set of bits can be purchased for $20 at Home Depot so this isn’t some exotic tool.

The camera is looking down. We don’t see a deep tunnel, we see a rather open looking space which is why I assumed this was a stud wall. If it is a stud wall then the hole itself should not be more than 1 ½”, which is shallow enough to not really be pointing in a specific direction. A block wall would be thicker but then the openness seen raises a bunch of other questions. Lens can also change what a camera sees.

Have you looked at the carrier installation instructions I posted? Replacing the fixture without touching the wall would mean using one that fits how the carrier as it is set, so the pipe and bolts would all have to align. Replacing the coupling (your new pipe) without touching the wall would be impressive. But again, why did the old toilet have this opening up at the top?

Plenty of people have thought there should not be tile there or a wall there for the toilet. Thinking it’s a gap that should be covered with chaulk assumes the hole in the wall should exist. Even thinking shoddy work is an expectation because it assumes that such holes would normally occur in poor work and that seeing one is not cause for concern.

ImperfectPixie

Yes. If the hole is the result of some sort of damage it occurred incredibly precisely. Whatever caused the tile to break only broke that one corner. It didn’t damage any of the adjacent tiles. Any cracking caused by the break also didn’t extend beyond the toilet. The damage is very localized.
And in a protected corner. You might expect to see damage on outer corners where there may be pressure applied, but not in that kind of corner.

ImperfectPixie

So how are you suggesting this hole IN THE CAULK was made?
It looks to me like someone used a sharp tool...where caulk isn't rigid, cutting through it in such a manner would create the edges you see.
You've never damage to a wall when someone rips a fixture off the wall?
You've never seen someone damage wallboard when removing tile?
You've never seen someone try to modify a finished wall when dealing with refits?

All I'm saying is, just because you SHOULD have a full finished tile wall there and complete backerboard doesn't mean you DO - because people do stupid things when they are tasked to 'just make it work'. Maybe they had had to replace the unit, and had to modify the finished wall and simply SCREWED IT UP when they did it, and covered it up.

You keep making it sound like repairs not going smoothly is winning the lottery - yet have no story for why the spot is so screwed up irregardless of the hole.
When was the last time you personally renovated a bathroom?

My most recent was a few years ago - my entire bathroom. After removing the wall tiles (which only damaged the paper surface of the wallboard - and this is in a bathroom that's 47 years old and had never been remodeled), literally yanking the ceramic toilet paper holder, soap dish, and toothbrush holder from the walls only slightly enlarged the holes that were drilled for installation (because unlike for the toilet under discussion, I don't have space behind the wallboard to access the bolts). That being said - one does not "yank" a wall toilet out - because you can't. You strip out the caulk, disconnect the pipes, then the toilet is unbolted from the carrier and removed.

I was talking about the grout failing in the vertical grouth lines between the wall tile that is visible above the fixture.

Movement I was referring to was movement in the substrate (the wallboard). Movement that shouldn't happen, if everything was installed as it should be. But obviously it has - suggesting there is more screwed up here than a 1" hole.
To me that doesn't look like the wallboard was moving...it looks like a crappy and uneven tile-installation (because the glue beneath them was spread unevenly - which happens all the time) with stained grout due to shoddy cleaning.

ImperfectPixie

NO ITS NOT - you can see the finger smeared caulk all over the fixture itself.

Inconsistent bead
Too wide - spread all over wall and fixture
Finger smeared but not cleaned up
Thin smear all over the fixture
Bead goes from excess and smeared everywhere on left side to basically being dry and incomplete on right side

The bead should cover the transition between the two pieces and extend no more than about 1/8" onto each surface for a total bead around 1/4" when cleaned up. This is a total #%#$ show of a caulk job. Which is why it appears to be really poorly installed or repaired. And it's not new.. you can see the caulk separating on both the left and right side of the toilet fixture.
Compare it to the area where the hole is. It's neater and cleaner.

I shouldn't have said "professional" because neither are up to par, but one section is obviously much sloppier than the other.

Chip Chipperson

Having the right drill bit isn’t some huge assumption for someone who would also have access to the chase. Even if one wasn’t available, a small set of bits can be purchased for $20 at Home Depot so this isn’t some exotic tool.

The camera is looking down. We don’t see a deep tunnel, we see a rather open looking space which is why I assumed this was a stud wall. If it is a stud wall then the hole itself should not be more than 1 ½”, which is shallow enough to not really be pointing in a specific direction. A block wall would be thicker but then the openness seen raises a bunch of other questions. Lens can also change what a camera sees.

Have you looked at the carrier installation instructions I posted? Replacing the fixture without touching the wall would mean using one that fits how the carrier as it is set, so the pipe and bolts would all have to align. Replacing the coupling (your new pipe) without touching the wall would be impressive. But again, why did the old toilet have this opening up at the top?

Plenty of people have thought there should not be tile there or a wall there for the toilet. Thinking it’s a gap that should be covered with chaulk assumes the hole in the wall should exist. Even thinking shoddy work is an expectation because it assumes that such holes would normally occur in poor work and that seeing one is not cause for concern.

Question: Do you think there is a hole in the toilet as well or just the wall/tile? Because if it's just the tile/wall, then why is the toilet installed with that much of a gap between it and the wall? If the toilet was closer to the wall, there wouldn't be the possibility for such a large hole. It just seems to me that if someone has the knowledge/ability and equipment needed to install a camera then it makes more sense to do so in a less conspicuous location in order to avoid detection. If someone were to be noticed, then it becomes a race between the perv and the victim to see who can get to the exit of their respective rooms faster - and still makes it very easy for security and the OC Sheriff to determine who did it since they would be able to check surveillance cameras to see who exited the area adjacent to the bathroom. It's not impossible because criminals are often dumb, but it's also possible that maintenance staff was just being lazy and/or bad at their jobs. "Oh, the person before me did a crappy job with their part? Reporting it to get it re-done correctly seems like more of a hassle than just trying to cover the gap with extra caulk. Plus, I'm not a snitch."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom