Peephole in Epcot bathroom?

ImperfectPixie

Question: Do you think there is a hole in the toilet as well or just the wall/tile? Because if it's just the tile/wall, then why is the toilet installed with that much of a gap between it and the wall? If the toilet was closer to the wall, there wouldn't be the possibility for such a large hole. It just seems to me that if someone has the knowledge/ability and equipment needed to install a camera then it makes more sense to do so in a less conspicuous location in order to avoid detection. If someone were to be noticed, then it becomes a race between the perv and the victim to see who can get to the exit of their respective rooms faster - and still makes it very easy for security and the OC Sheriff to determine who did it since they would be able to check surveillance cameras to see who exited the area adjacent to the bathroom. It's not impossible because criminals are often dumb, but it's also possible that maintenance staff was just being lazy and/or bad at their jobs. "Oh, the person before me did a crappy job with their part? Reporting it to get it re-done correctly seems like more of a hassle than just trying to cover the gap with extra caulk. Plus, I'm not a snitch."
I know you weren't addressing me, but here's my thoughts anyway.

I don't think there's a hole in the toilet. I think there's a huge caulk-line just because of laziness (and possibly covering old/stained caulk). I also think they've tried to take the easy way out with covering this hole with caulk already...because of the difference in the neatness of the caulk on the left side of the toilet where the hole is, compared to the neatness of the caulk on the bump-up.

lazyboy97o

Question: Do you think there is a hole in the toilet as well or just the wall/tile? Because if it's just the tile/wall, then why is the toilet installed with that much of a gap between it and the wall? If the toilet was closer to the wall, there wouldn't be the possibility for such a large hole. It just seems to me that if someone has the knowledge/ability and equipment needed to install a camera then it makes more sense to do so in a less conspicuous location in order to avoid detection. If someone were to be noticed, then it becomes a race between the perv and the victim to see who can get to the exit of their respective rooms faster - and still makes it very easy for security and the OC Sheriff to determine who did it since they would be able to check surveillance cameras to see who exited the area adjacent to the bathroom. It's not impossible because criminals are often dumb, but it's also possible that maintenance staff was just being lazy and/or bad at their jobs. "Oh, the person before me did a crappy job with their part? Reporting it to get it re-done correctly seems like more of a hassle than just trying to cover the gap with extra caulk. Plus, I'm not a snitch."
There is no hole in the fixture, you can see it. The fixture should not be touching the wall, there is supposed to be a small gap because a toilet tightened to the wall would crack the tiles. I see nothing that indicates a huge gap, the bottom of the hole is not visible, being blocked by the sealant.

This location is not conspicuous. When people assume it’s just poor work or disrepair then it is clearly not standing out as a peep hole.

You keep trying to present making the hole as requiring specialized knowledge and that isn’t the case. Anyone charged with doing actual maintenance on buildings would know how to drill a hole in a tile wall. There are plenty of people working at a theme park with the knowledge of how to get this done quickly with access to the tools. A drill, some sealant and even something like a borescope aren’t going to raise suspicions.

The issue of being caught applies to any peep hole or surveillance device installed in a bathroom.

Lazy maintenance is part of what makes it a good spot. You just smear a bunch of sealant and it looks like an expected failure at such a big gap. Others can come in and “fix” it by placing another glob.

ImperfectPixie

There is no hole in the fixture, you can see it. The fixture should not be touching the wall, there is supposed to be a small gap because a toilet tightened to the wall would crack the tiles. I see nothing that indicates a huge gap, the bottom of the hole is not visible, being blocked by the sealant.

This location is not conspicuous. When people assume it’s just poor work or disrepair then it is clearly not standing out as a peep hole.

You keep trying to present making the hole as requiring specialized knowledge and that isn’t the case. Anyone charged with doing actual maintenance on buildings would know how to drill a hole in a tile wall. There are plenty of people working at a theme park with the knowledge of how to get this done quickly with access to the tools. A drill, some sealant and even something like a borescope aren’t going to raise suspicions.

The issue of being caught applies to any peep hole or surveillance device installed in a bathroom.

Lazy maintenance is part of what makes it a good spot. You just smear a bunch of sealant and it looks like an expected failure at such a big gap. Others can come in and “fix” it by placing another glob.
There's no need to leave a camera in place, either. Peeper takes it with them, and someone just gobs some caulk over the hole and thinks nothing of it, but the peeper knows the structural hole is still there and can just open the hole in the caulk again.

Goofyernmost

You're misunderstanding how a wall-mounted toilet is installed. The tile continues behind the fixture. The only holes are for the supply and drain pipes and two much smaller holes are drilled for bolts. They don't leave a large area of wall untiled just because a fixture is going to cover it.
They do if it is a replacement and some tiles were damaged while removing the old one. The width of the grout line alone should tell everyone that it was a different style bowl perhaps some of the tile had to be removed just to get the commode that close to the wall. and no one caring what it looked like after it was installed but one large butt on that toilet could cause enough movement for that to happen because nothing was supporting the gap that was that wide. I'm talking about the grout gap. Bad show, for sure, but nothing worth this many pages.

Goofyernmost

How much plumbing have you done in your life, not had done, but what you have physically done plumbing wise. Double BS on the peep hole idea. We are seeing the item in two dimension. It is impossible to really tell what direction it points in, I say straight down through the gap between the toilet and the wall. Should it be there, no, but it is and it is nothing more then the wrong part and shoddy workmanship.

Chip Chipperson

I'm not saying the fixture should be touching through wall. I'm saying it shouldn't be THAT FAR from the wall because the width of the caulk is beyond what anyone with the ability to read the directions on a tube of caulk would ever do unless they were being lazy/didn't care about making the corrections needed to make sure the job got done properly. If you had someone install a new sink in your bathroom and they left a gap between the sink and the wall large enough to require that much caulk, you'd make them do it over. Clearly, nobody ever made sure that this toilet fixture was close enough to the wall. If they had, then a hole that size wouldn't even be possible.

MickeyMouse10

tumblr_pdbiie6e1k1wnlveio1_400.gifv

lazyboy97o

I'm not saying the fixture should be touching through wall. I'm saying it shouldn't be THAT FAR from the wall because the width of the caulk is beyond what anyone with the ability to read the directions on a tube of caulk would ever do unless they were being lazy/didn't care about making the corrections needed to make sure the job got done properly. If you had someone install a new sink in your bathroom and they left a gap between the sink and the wall large enough to require that much caulk, you'd make them do it over. Clearly, nobody ever made sure that this toilet fixture was close enough to the wall. If they had, then a hole that size wouldn't even be possible.
I see no evidence of a gap, just too much sealant. A significant gap would result in sagging. Even if there was significant gap it would have absolutely nothing to do with the hole that is above the fixture.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It’s the precision of the damage that is exceptional.

Why do you assume the end state and start state are the same? Stop thinking so binary. We're talking about people doing sloppy work, they operate in the middle. Good work can be compromised by later sloppy work, which can then lead to even more problems when later work is done on top of that sloppy work.

It looks to me like someone used a sharp tool...where caulk isn't rigid, cutting through it in such a manner would create the edges you see.

And then did what to make the hole in the tile and wall that is at least or not bigger than the hole in the caulk because you don't see the edges. You think they surgically removed the wall and tile from behind and then punched through with a chissel from the front? And intentionally did all this to obscure the hole to look organic?

That being said - one does not "yank" a wall toilet out - because you can't. You strip out the caulk, disconnect the pipes, then the toilet is unbolted from the carrier and removed.
You're talking about someone doing it as work.. and not the situations like a restroom being damaged or vandalized.. or someone trying to do work over top of already compromised work. There is so much that could have happend here that you can't just dismiss it as "well this is how it SHOULD be done". You're right, but we don't know if that's was WAS done.

To me that doesn't look like the wallboard was moving...it looks like a crappy and uneven tile-installation (because the glue beneath them was spread unevenly - which happens all the time) with stained grout due to shoddy cleaning.

Uneven wall tile is still static and doesn't cause the grout to crack and fall out - it just looks bad and is more at risk of breaking due if not supported. And besides, you can see in the video the tile is not excessively uneven vs the tiles on the other two sides.

I'm done with this... I'm happy that in your world things are only built and done as they should be... there is no apathy in jobs done and no one ever faces dealing with crap work done before you or out of sight. It sounds like a happy place.

Goofyernmost

What gap shown in the hole? There is sealant obscuring any view of the distance between the tile and fixture.
Your eyesight must be better than mine. What sealant are you talking about? The gap is the distance from the front of the hole to the back and it completely corresponds with the line up of the rest of the grout. You are still assuming that the hole is in the wall and I am saying that it is in the grouting only because the toilet was either designed in such a way that it didn't fit properly or was installed incorrectly. Not a good thing but hardly a high priority thing. It comes under the heading of "When you are up to you butt in Alligators, it is tough to remember that your original intention was to drain the swamp".

Still without a 3D image it is unlikely that we will ever know so for your and my benefit, I am leaving this thread and the rest of you can occupy your time with potty conversation.

lazyboy97o

Why do you assume the end state and start state are the same? Stop thinking so binary. We're talking about people doing sloppy work, they operate in the middle. Good work can be compromised by later sloppy work, which can then lead to even more problems when later work is done on top of that sloppy work.

And then did what to make the hole in the tile and wall that is at least or not bigger than the hole in the caulk because you don't see the edges. You think they surgically removed the wall and tile from behind and then punched through with a chissel from the front? And intentionally did all this to obscure the hole to look organic?

You're talking about someone doing it as work.. and not the situations like a restroom being damaged or vandalized.. or someone trying to do work over top of already compromised work. There is so much that could have happend here that you can't just dismiss it as "well this is how it SHOULD be done". You're right, but we don't know if that's was WAS done.

Uneven wall tile is still static and doesn't cause the grout to crack and fall out - it just looks bad and is more at risk of breaking due if not supported. And besides, you can see in the video the tile is not excessively uneven vs the tiles on the other two sides.

I'm done with this... I'm happy that in your world things are only built and done as they should be... there is no apathy in jobs done and no one ever faces dealing with crap work done before you or out of sight. It sounds like a happy place.
What you keep ignoring is that there are patterns to how materials and assemblies fail. Failure is a process. Be it sloppy work or intentional damage. There are patterns and those patterns inform determining and correcting the problem.

lazyboy97o

Your eyesight must be better than mine. What sealant are you talking about? The gap is the distance from the front of the hole to the back and it completely corresponds with the line up of the rest of the grout. You are still assuming that the hole is in the wall and I am saying that it is in the grouting only because the toilet was either designed in such a way that it didn't fit properly or was installed incorrectly. Not a good thing but hardly a high priority thing. It comes under the heading of "When you are up to you butt in Alligators, it is tough to remember that your original intention was to drain the swamp".

Still without a 3D image it is unlikely that we will ever know so for your and my benefit, I am leaving this thread and the rest of you can occupy your time with potty conversation.
The hole is clearly in the wall as is very clearly illustrated when the poster wads toilet paper into the hole in the second video. A minimum ¾” gap between the wall and fixture would be incredibly obvious, would still require a coincidental hole in the wall to see beyond, and would likely not have a properly sealed coupling resulting in used toilet water leaking onto the floor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom