Peephole in Epcot bathroom?

lazyboy97o

A picture obscuring the hole doesn't mean the picture was the cause of the hole.

Something secured doesn't mean it stays secured.

A toilet here today doesn't mean it was always that toilet there.

A tiled wall seen today doesn't mean it never has been rebuilt.

An installation done right the first time doesn't mean it was done right in subsequent times.

That installation is complete garbage. I highly doubt it was the original install. And if it is, and was acceptable... then you should really be ignoring any of the conventional standards of acceptable if they let that through.
I’m not even talking about standards. I’m talking about the very basics of installation. Moving the toilet means moving the carrier which is behind the wall. For that not to cause a bunch of other damage that we would see would require incredible skill. The tile is not installed around the toilet, it is behind the toilet, so new tile would cover leftover holes from prior installations.

Chip Chipperson

You’ve never seen someone hang a picture over a hole in the wall?

Nor seen crews just ignore wall issues behind cabinets?

Neither of those were caused by what you covered it with… but that doesn’t mean it’s not done.

“Out of sight, out of mind”. People try to cover half-a— stuff all the time.

Yep. Bought my house from a flipper. The amount of things the inspector missed that were done half-a$$ed and/or not up to code is mind-boggling all these years later (dryer venting into attic, outdoor electrical outlet not grounded, light fixtures in the ceiling without boxes for the wires, etc.). Moral of the story: There's no shortage of people willing to take shortcuts when it comes to repairs/renovations. Moral of the story, part 2: don't use the inspector your real estate agent recommends.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’m not even talking about standards. I’m talking about the very basics of installation. Moving the toilet means moving the carrier which is behind the wall. For that not to cause a bunch of other damage that we would see would require incredible skill. The tile is not installed around the toilet, it is behind the toilet, so new tile would cover leftover holes from prior installations.

New tile can also be installed over compromised substrate leading to people cutting corners like.. not putting in a tile where it should be... or simply doing a job without a replacement title when they needed one, cut corners and skip it.. because it will be assumed covered by the toilet fixture and isn't supporting the fixture. HENCE THE WHOLE PICTURE ANALOGY.

Bozos break stuff and cut corners all the time when doing replacements because they aren't setup necessarily to build the thing from scratch. You keep referring to how it would have been installed new - and won't recognize the wild west of "I'm here to fix the toilet.. I'll do whatever I need to make it look complete" or what conditions may have been created after the fact by damage.

I'm talking about standards because it's clear from that video that that fixture is full of substandard work. Grout is falling out of the joints. The caulk job is trying to cover too large of width. The caulk is trying to cover gaps. The caulk job is sloppy all over the fixture. The caulk job is separating from the fixture. This was a poor job. We don't know if it was a poor job after the fact or when built. But its clearly a crap job someone left as 'good enough'. With that level of acceptable standard of work, there is no telling what other skeletons they left behind the finish work.

Let's also remember what is the primary cause of Grout failure? MOVEMENT. What causes movement? substandard SUBSTRATE!

LittleBuford

You even went so far as to suggest the hole should extend to the floor, that the toilets are somehow suspended above a void.
This is twisting what I said. I have acknowledged at every step of the way that I was making assumptions based on what I was seeing in the video, adding that I may well be wrong. It’s simply untrue to claim that I said there “should” be any sort of hole there.

Casper Gutman

The person created the video reported it, CM's came out and saw it, but 6 days later is was still not repaired.
Is this based entirely on the claims of one individual? Given the current environment, I'd really like confirmation.

As someone else noted above, it's also worth noting that whoever filmed this almost certainly broke the law by filming in the bathroom. So if anyone does investigate - don't film it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is this based entirely on the claims of one individual? Given the current environment, I'd really like confirmation.

As someone else noted above, it's also worth noting that whoever filmed this almost certainly broke the law by filming in the bathroom. So if anyone does investigate - don't film it.

The only thing that could be independently confirmed is that the hole is still there. Not really any way to prove that it was reported.

JoeCamel

True, although one could get a better idea of the area behind the hole, access to that area, and the construction of the toilet in general. We need a toilet-centric Poirot. Or Miss Marple, actually.
Get this guy on it

Perry_the_Platypus.png

Goofyernmost

OK, I just went back and looked at it frame by frame practically. This is the conclusion I came too.

1. The hole looks to be smaller then a quarter, so the wall is in no danger of falling down. No wall studs of any kind appear to be compromised. Even if one was the wall still wouldn't fall down.

2. No picture or cabinets are in the area so the picture covering a hole is mostly greatly exaggerated.

3. The more I looked at the alleged peephole the more that it looked like the hole wasn't even in the wall but in the grout after a slightly different toilet was installed and probably the worst grouting job ever was done.

4. What seems to be light coming through after looking at it for awhile seemed to be more likely the light from the camera or some other source reflecting back to the camera.

5. This would be a good time to flush this entire topic down the crapper along with all the massive paranoia and misinformation that has accompanied it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom