Patty Jenkins' 'Rogue Squadron' coming December 2023

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I guess I don't get the defense of everything then. We all know that there are people who enjoyed the movies. Heck, I like transformers but I know, quality cinema they are not. If Disney had doubled down on the sequels, I could see the argument. But it seems they've abandoned ship. You don't drop an entire cinematic plan because of some fans not agreeing with what you've done. Especially Kennedy and Lucasfilm. The people who have gone out of their way to troll the fans and make it clear that we are not the priority. So if they don't care about us, and they've come full stop on their original sequel plans, it would seem even they know they made a wrong turn in Albuquerque.
I think Their “analysts” picked a path that they thought would yield the most longterm…as business people tend to do…

But they saw what happened, and backed away/put it on ice immediately.

Now they’ll watch.

See the reason this is an “argument” is 109% manufactured by the dissenting very small group of voices.

It isn’t an opinion survey. Facts are determined by decisions, results and responses.

Elementary, Dear Watson

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There’s no “gotcha”

It’s a straight, simple question. Direct.

Were they good movies? Total effort.
If they really were straight simple direct questions then you wouldn't try to twist words around to "win" with a "gotcha". Sorry not going to do it.

Also I've already answered these questions, multiple times, from you over the years, the answers don't change. So if you want the answers go back to any of the hundreds of times we've had this discussion previously.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I guess I don't get the defense of everything then. We all know that there are people who enjoyed the movies. Heck, I like transformers but I know, quality cinema they are not.
Ah maybe this is the problem, the expectation for the ST was maybe too high. Instead of expecting just popcorn films, which is what I've always seen them as, a large portion of fans were expecting "quality cinema" as you put it. To me Star Wars has ALWAYS been flawed, they've ALWAYS been popcorn films that were like the old Saturday afternoon serials that George was paying homage to like Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon. And so I've always liked them for what they were, not holding them up on some pedestal as the pinnacle of cinema.

If Disney had doubled down on the sequels, I could see the argument. But it seems they've abandoned ship. You don't drop an entire cinematic plan because of some fans not agreeing with what you've done. Especially Kennedy and Lucasfilm. The people who have gone out of their way to troll the fans and make it clear that we are not the priority. So if they don't care about us, and they've come full stop on their original sequel plans, it would seem even they know they made a wrong turn in Albuquerque.
If I'm being honest if I was in Disney's position I would have probably done the same thing. I would have been like, ok fine then I'll take my toys and go home and just wait until you've had a chance to calm down. And then after a number of years I would have put out a new set of movies that have nothing to do with anything Skywalker related and watch the money roll in. Which appears to be exactly what Disney is doing. Just waiting, putting out some D+ series to tide fans over until the overall mood improves and then release some new movies later.

erasure fan1

a large portion of fans were expecting "quality cinema" as you put it. To me Star Wars has ALWAYS been flawed, they've ALWAYS been popcorn films that were like the old Saturday afternoon serials that George was paying homage to like Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon.
It's never been an issue that the sequels weren't the Shawshank redemption. It was more about, at least for me, how they treated the legacy. You only need to watch something like cobra kai to see how legacy characters should be treated. The other complaint was they had zero narrative direction.
If I'm being honest if I was in Disney's position I would have probably done the same thing. I would have been like, ok fine then I'll take my toys and go home and just wait until you've had a chance to calm down.
Kennedy said that this star wars wasn't for us, the old fan. That's why they went the direction they did so they could move on from the OT. Something had to change though. Was it we are more important than they thought because the fans they were courting didn't care as much as they thought? The argument has been the sequels were fine and Disney was happy with them as they were profitable. But the reality of it is they dropped it. So they can't think as highly of it as I'm told.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

I don't understand why Jon Favreau isn't running it all. Everything under Kathleen Kennedy has been horrible. She wanted to kill off Luke and Han and of course keep Leia alive. Even though she had a good reason to kill off the latter one. Because Carrie Fisher is actually fricking dead in real life.

Now she is moving onto killing off Ford's other character (Indiana Jones), in some stupid timetraveling bit. That's such a bad idea it makes the horrible fourth one's storyline of Aliens sound more plausible.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's never been an issue that the sequels weren't the Shawshank redemption. It was more about, at least for me, how they treated the legacy.
Personally, while a great film, I never thought Shawshank was the pinnacle of cinema either. But to me that is what is great about Hollywood, they put out all sorts of content for all sort of audiences. There isn't a single type of film or a single type of story being told. There is literally something for everyone.

As for treating the "legacy", that means many things to many people. And that is sort of the problem in general about the fandom, there is no one single opinion or answer on what that means. Its all personal to every single fan. What matters to one is not necessarily what matters to another. And so its hard for any creator to live up to the expectation of "legacy".

Even if they would have just went to a different time period you'd have a section of the fandom yelling "why didn't they just continue with the Skywalkers". You can never please everyone.

Kennedy said that this star wars wasn't for us, the old fan. That's why they went the direction they did so they could move on from the OT. Something had to change though.
Well I probably wouldn't have put it that way, but I agree with her sentiment. I would have said something like we're trying to move Star Wars in general forward to bring it to the next generation of fans. The OT and PT will always be there, and so we're trying to use the ST to bridge the OT and PT to the future as we want to move beyond the Skywalker family and tell new stories in this universe.

erasure fan1

As for treating the "legacy", that means many things to many people. And that is sort of the problem in general about the fandom, there is no one single opinion or answer on what that means. Its all personal to every single fan. What matters to one is not necessarily what matters to another.
All most of the OT fans wanted, was one last adventure with their heros.
Well I probably wouldn't have put it that way, but I agree with her sentiment. I would have said something like we're trying to move Star Wars in general forward to bring it to the next generation of fans. The OT and PT will always be there, and so we're trying to use the ST to bridge the OT and PT to the future as we want to move beyond the Skywalker family and tell new stories in this universe.
It was the constant antagonizing of the fans that caused a lot of backlash. I think most fans wanted to move on. Like I said above, we just wanted our heros to have that last adventure. Instead hey were used to prop up the new crew. Personally I think we all want the same thing in the end. New star wars, with new adventures, that embody the spirit of the franchise. Where we disagree I think, is the capability of Disney and Lucasfilm to accomplish it. I just don't think Kennedy is capable of getting it done.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
All most of the OT fans wanted, was one last adventure with their heros.
Personally I always thought it was 30 years too late for that. That is the story George should have told instead of doing the PT. And at least 1/3 of the actors playing those heros wanted no part of that story anyways, not really Disney's fault on that one. For that character we're lucky we got what we got.

It was the constant antagonizing of the fans that caused a lot of backlash. I think most fans wanted to move on.
Part of that I blame the messaging, the other part of that I blame the internet as "constant" is a bit overblown here. If it had been prior to the internet it would have been a comment or two to some no name industry reporter that wouldn't have been retweeted a gazillion times to make it seem like its "constant".

Personally I think we all want the same thing in the end. New star wars, with new adventures, that embody the spirit of the franchise. Where we disagree I think, is the capability of Disney and Lucasfilm to accomplish it. I just don't think Kennedy is capable of getting it done.
I think Disney/LFL is plenty capable of it, Kennedy aside. The real question is their desire to do it. Right now I don't think there is any desire until there is some distance. We're still only a little less than 3 years removed from RoS, I know it seems like longer but its really only been 3 years.

Wendy Pleakley

Ah maybe this is the problem, the expectation for the ST was maybe too high. Instead of expecting just popcorn films, which is what I've always seen them as, a large portion of fans were expecting "quality cinema" as you put it. To me Star Wars has ALWAYS been flawed, they've ALWAYS been popcorn films that were like the old Saturday afternoon serials that George was paying homage to like Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon. And so I've always liked them for what they were, not holding them up on some pedestal as the pinnacle of cinema.

If I'm being honest if I was in Disney's position I would have probably done the same thing. I would have been like, ok fine then I'll take my toys and go home and just wait until you've had a chance to calm down. And then after a number of years I would have put out a new set of movies that have nothing to do with anything Skywalker related and watch the money roll in. Which appears to be exactly what Disney is doing. Just waiting, putting out some D+ series to tide fans over until the overall mood improves and then release some new movies later.

If we look at the quality and reaction to Star Wars as a whole, one can argue the last truly excellent Star Wars movie was released in 1980.

I've enjoyed all of the films to varying degrees but I totally agree that maybe, just maybe, people expect too much from the franchise.

GimpYancIent

There is plenty of room for further Star Wars movies if series such as the Mandalorian, The book of Bubba Fett and now Andor are any indicators. The battle between the Rebellion and the Empire spans an entire galaxy which means there are many stories that can be told, not just specifically the Skywalkers. Rogue Squadron is such an opportunity, too bad there are many corporate issues and factors that affect the generation of any productions.

Screamface

If as many people were happy with how Disney handled star wars as I'm told they are. Why aren't we seeing he next instalment like we should be?

Disney now has the great tool in Disney+ to see what people are watching and rewatching. If there was a lot of people watching the sequels, there'd be a Disney+ series announced related to them.

erasure fan1

Disney now has the great tool in Disney+ to see what people are watching and rewatching. If there was a lot of people watching the sequels, there'd be a Disney+ series announced related to them.
I agree. If the steaming numbers for the sequels were good, I'm sure we would see the story continuing. Not only on D+ but in the theaters. The question that gets pushed to the side is why, if they were so successful, has Disney abandoned them? We're told that the general public and fan enjoyed the sequels, and the people complaining are the vast minority. If that were true, we would not have seen a full stop in my opinion.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Patty Jenkins comments on the status of Rogue Squadron -

"Patty Jenkins is clearing up what happened with Wonder Woman 3 and her return to Rogue Squadron.

“Sigh… I’m not one to talk about private career matters, but I will not allow inaccuracies to continue,” Jenkins shared in a statement on Twitter."

“Here are the facts: I originally left Rogue Squadron after a long and productive development process when it became clear it couldn’t happen soon enough and I did not want to delay WW3 any further. When I did, Lucasfilm asked me to consider coming back to RS after WW3, which I was honored to do, so I agreed. They made a new deal with me. In fact, I am still on it and that project has been in active development ever since. I don’t know if it will happen or not. We never do until the development process is complete, but I look forward to its potential ahead.”

Full article below.

jeangreyforever

I don't understand why Jon Favreau isn't running it all. Everything under Kathleen Kennedy has been horrible. She wanted to kill off Luke and Han and of course keep Leia alive. Even though she had a good reason to kill off the latter one. Because Carrie Fisher is actually fricking dead in real life.

Now she is moving onto killing off Ford's other character (Indiana Jones), in a some stupid timetraveling bit. That's such a bad idea it makes the horrible fourth one's storyline of Aliens sound more plausible.
This is an older post but I feel the need to comment. Harrison Ford wanted Han Solo to die since way back in ROTJ. He agreed to come back for TFA provided his character would be killed off once and for all since he felt there was nothing left for Han's character. If we wanted to see Harrison again as Han, he was going to have to die. Personally, I'm glad he was willing to come back for a cameo in TROS as well, probably since Carrie wasn't around so they needed him.

The character of Luke was probably always going to die considering every other Jedi mentor died and became a force ghost. What's more proof is that Mark himself stated in George's concept for the ST, Luke would have died albeit in the final movie of the trilogy. I suppose you can argue that Luke should have been killed off in TROS instead of TLJ but every movie in the ST was meant to be a showcase for one of the original trio. Han with TFA, Luke with TLJ, and Leia with TROS. It was unfortunate that Carrie passed away before her movie. You could also argue that this plan was flawed and the series should have always ended with Luke's movie rather than Leia's. However, even that component came from George's ST concept. George wanted to reveal that Leia was the real Chosen One (not Anakin or even Luke) and she would have gotten an increased focus. Pablo Hidalgo and even Dave Filoni mentioned that for the ST we got, the plan was similarly to showcase Leia as the savior of the galaxy although I don't think they were going to go as far as making her the Chosen One as George did. They felt since the saga started with a mother (Shmi), it should end with a mother's love for her son. TROS had hundreds of flaws, but I do think that a root issue for many of them was the fact that you couldn't really end the trilogy convincingly without Carrie.

That being said, I really hope the rumors for Indiana Jones are completely false and Indy isn't killed off. John Williams just said that the ending is being reshot, so if it was true, hopefully they've seen the fan reaction and are changing it.

GimpYancIent

Patty Jenkins comments on the status of Rogue Squadron -

"Patty Jenkins is clearing up what happened with Wonder Woman 3 and her return to Rogue Squadron.

“Sigh… I’m not one to talk about private career matters, but I will not allow inaccuracies to continue,” Jenkins shared in a statement on Twitter."

“Here are the facts: I originally left Rogue Squadron after a long and productive development process when it became clear it couldn’t happen soon enough and I did not want to delay WW3 any further. When I did, Lucasfilm asked me to consider coming back to RS after WW3, which I was honored to do, so I agreed. They made a new deal with me. In fact, I am still on it and that project has been in active development ever since. I don’t know if it will happen or not. We never do until the development process is complete, but I look forward to its potential ahead.”

Full article below.

I hope that if Rogue Squadron does come into being that it is the Top Gun of Star Wars movies.

MickeyMouse10

This is an older post but I feel the need to comment. Harrison Ford wanted Han Solo to die since way back in ROTJ. He agreed to come back for TFA provided his character would be killed off once and for all since he felt there was nothing left for Han's character. If we wanted to see Harrison again as Han, he was going to have to die. Personally, I'm glad he was willing to come back for a cameo in TROS as well, probably since Carrie wasn't around so they needed him.

The character of Luke was probably always going to die considering every other Jedi mentor died and became a force ghost. What's more proof is that Mark himself stated in George's concept for the ST, Luke would have died albeit in the final movie of the trilogy. I suppose you can argue that Luke should have been killed off in TROS instead of TLJ but every movie in the ST was meant to be a showcase for one of the original trio. Han with TFA, Luke with TLJ, and Leia with TROS. It was unfortunate that Carrie passed away before her movie. You could also argue that this plan was flawed and the series should have always ended with Luke's movie rather than Leia's. However, even that component came from George's ST concept. George wanted to reveal that Leia was the real Chosen One (not Anakin or even Luke) and she would have gotten an increased focus. Pablo Hidalgo and even Dave Filoni mentioned that for the ST we got, the plan was similarly to showcase Leia as the savior of the galaxy although I don't think they were going to go as far as making her the Chosen One as George did. They felt since the saga started with a mother (Shmi), it should end with a mother's love for her son. TROS had hundreds of flaws, but I do think that a root issue for many of them was the fact that you couldn't really end the trilogy convincingly without Carrie.

That being said, I really hope the rumors for Indiana Jones are completely false and Indy isn't killed off. John Williams just said that the ending is being reshot, so if it was true, hopefully they've seen the fan reaction and are changing it.

It is important to pay respect to the past and give legacy characters happy endings. They don't have to all die. I honestly wouldn't have brought Harrison Ford back. If that was a tacked on stipulation for his appearance. Most fans don't want to see a legend die (whose been around since 1977) so brutally.

It's different from Obi-Wan and Yoda (in the OT) because they died in their first movie. We didn't get to know them and form an attachment.

jeangreyforever

It is important to pay respect to the past and give legacy characters happy endings. They don't have to all die. I honestly wouldn't have brought Harrison Ford back. If that was a tacked on stipulation for his appearance. Most fans don't want to see a legend die (whose been around since 1977) so brutally.

It's different from Obi-Wan and Yoda (in the OT) because they died in their first movie. We didn't get to know them and form an attachment.
I can understand that but I also think it's unrealistic for every legacy character to get a happy ending, especially considering how most Star Wars characters end up. Out of the main trio, Han always seemed the most expendable especially considering that his cliffhanger ending in TESB was deliberately because George wasn't sure Harrison would return for ROTJ. I don't think it would have been feasible to not bring back Han in the ST. If Disney didn't do it, fans would complain endlessly (the same way they complained that Luke and Han never reunited onscreen in what we did get). The other issue was that out of the three, Han was always the most popular character to the general public and Harrison Ford the biggest star, hence why he gets top billing in TFA. Harrison had a lot of influence over the movie, for example most people assume Ben Solo was named after Ben Kenobi but that was more of a coincidence than anything. It was Harrison who requested his onscreen son be named Ben because one of his own sons is named Ben.

That being said, your idea could maybe have been possible since when George was planning his ST, the three actors he reached out to were Mark, Carrie, and Ian McDiarmid. He said he wouldn't have bothered with a ST if those three actors wouldn't return, which tells me that since Harrison wasn't one of the actors he specifically reached out to, Han would have been incidental in his trilogy. I don't remember anything in his plans for Han either. The only issue with writing out Han is that he and Leia are supposed to be a couple so how can you have one without bringing the other back? Separating them would take away their happy ending as you said and so would having him already dead when the new trilogy starts. In that sense, there's really no way to have a happy ending for Han's character (and by extension Leia) whether he's included or not.

Han's death doesn't bother me that much because every trilogy starts off with the mentor figure being killed, whether it was Obi-Wan in the OT or Qui-Gon in the PT. In that sense, it was necessary and although TFA isn't a huge favorite movie of mine, I do think one of its biggest strengths is in giving us one last adventure with Han and that includes his heartfelt demise.

erasure fan1

Han's death doesn't bother me that much because every trilogy starts off with the mentor figure being killed, whether it was Obi-Wan in the OT or Qui-Gon in the PT.
I think the issue comes down to the planning of the trilogy. If the force awakens started with a focus on luke, han and leia together. Then if han bites it at the end, I really don't see people all that upset about it. But because of how poorly the sequel trilogy was planned out, hans death ticked off so many people in my opinion. Personally I think if they weren't going to give the fans, or really the world, what they expected. Which was the gang together one last time. Then just go so far out you don't need to worry about legacy characters.

GimpYancIent

Wedge Antilles appears in several Star Wars episodes, so he is not some new character. The evolution of Rogue Squadron will definitely need to have him in a prominent roll.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom