Patty Jenkins' 'Rogue Squadron' coming December 2023

jeangreyforever

I think the issue comes down to the planning of the trilogy. If the force awakens started with a focus on luke, han and leia together. Then if han bites it at the end, I really don't see people all that upset about it. But because of how poorly the sequel trilogy was planned out, hans death ticked off so many people in my opinion. Personally I think if they weren't going to give the fans, or really the world, what they expected. Which was the gang together one last time. Then just go so far out you don't need to worry about legacy characters.
The idea of having Luke in exile came from George Lucas' ST plans. Rey (known as Kira in his version) would go and find him. The original plan for TFA was to bring in Luke as well, and not save him for the next movie, but the issue was that the second Luke came in, the movie became all about him and no one was interested in the new characters anymore. They felt it was better to save Luke for later so you could get invested in the new characters. That meant that all the Rey/Luke stuff on Ahch-To ended up being shunted off for TLJ instead of TFA.

Apparently there were also scenes in TFA shooting script of a young Luke, Leia, and Han together. I'm assuming they would have used CGI to de-age the trio but I've never heard if these scenes were ever filmed or not. Leia and Han would be dropping off a young Ben to Luke for training and I think there was an additional flashback of Luke training with Ben. I was hoping that they would use some of this footage for TROS since JJ Abrams promised he would use the deleted footage of Carrie but since it didn't show up, my guess is that it was never filmed.

erasure fan1

but the issue was that the second Luke came in, the movie became all about him and no one was interested in the new characters anymore. They felt it was better to save Luke for later so you could get invested in the new characters.
I believe it was Michael Arndt who said that in an interview. But from the things I've read, it wasn't the writers who had the problem with that. It was Kennedy/Disney. It was a very flawed way of looking at things. Of course the original 3, especially Luke, would overshadow the new characters. But that's a good thing. Especially when you are trying to pass the torch to a new generation. Otherwise I just don't see the point of bringing any of them back. 7, 8 and 9 should have been about the legacy characters or not at all. All they accomplished this way was a bunch of what ifs in my opinion.

Phroobar

I believe it was Michael Arndt who said that in an interview. But from the things I've read, it wasn't the writers who had the problem with that. It was Kennedy/Disney. It was a very flawed way of looking at things. Of course the original 3, especially Luke, would overshadow the new characters. But that's a good thing. Especially when you are trying to pass the torch to a new generation. Otherwise I just don't see the point of bringing any of them back. 7, 8 and 9 should have been about the legacy characters or not at all. All they accomplished this way was a bunch of what ifs in my opinion.
Then they had wasted the new characters they brought in. Finn did pretty much nothing the entire trilogy except scream "Rey!" over and over. Poe would have been a lot more interesting to see him do the things he talked about in ROSW. That sounded better than the movie I was watching. Captain Phasma ended up just being a mid level boss fight. Even General Weasley was just an angry guy that was never a threat and did absolutely nothing.

erasure fan1

Then they had wasted the new characters they brought in. Finn did pretty much nothing the entire trilogy except scream "Rey!" over and over. Poe would have been a lot more interesting to see him do the things he talked about in ROSW. That sounded better than the movie I was watching. Captain Phasma ended up just being a mid level boss fight. Even General Weasley was just an angry guy that was never a threat and did absolutely nothing.
I don't think they would have wasted the new characters. If done properly, we would most likely be seeing a trilogy with the new characters. They needed people to go on one last adventure and basically say goodbye to the characters they have loved all these years. And over the course of the sequels you develop the new group to takeover by the end of the trilogy.

BubbaisSleep

I remember that scene where the trio hugged like they haven’t seen each other forever and I was like “didn’t two of you just meet at the end of the second movie.” I can’t believe the writers allowed them to be apart for so long.

Phroobar

I don't think they would have wasted the new characters. If done properly, we would most likely be seeing a trilogy with the new characters. They needed people to go on one last adventure and basically say goodbye to the characters they have loved all these years. And over the course of the sequels you develop the new group to takeover by the end of the trilogy.
Unfortunately, they didn't do it properly. The trio should have been having the adventures together. In the first one we barely saw Poe. The second everyone was on their own pointless missions. At least they brought them together for the third. No one grew as characters except maybe Rey a little.

Screamface

The idea of having Luke in exile came from George Lucas' ST plans. Rey (known as Kira in his version) would go and find him. The original plan for TFA was to bring in Luke as well, and not save him for the next movie, but the issue was that the second Luke came in, the movie became all about him and no one was interested in the new characters anymore. They felt it was better to save Luke for later so you could get invested in the new characters. That meant that all the Rey/Luke stuff on Ahch-To ended up being shunted off for TLJ instead of TFA.
Worth noting, that Luke in exile, or what exactly he was doing was not turning his way on the force and the Jedi. In the concept art Luke would meditate in a temple, lifting a giant dome of rock above his head.

itsy bitsy spider

Patty Jenkins sucks, Wonder Woman 84 was all her. That is what she does all on her own.

Zack Snyder held her hand for the first Wonder Woman. And she's lived off the glory of it ever since. Of course Kathleen Kennedy was all over her right away too. They are both sexists.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Patty Jenkins sucks, Wonder Woman 84 was all her. That is what she does all on her own.

Zack Snyder held her hand for the first Wonder Woman. And she's lived off the glory of it ever since. Of course Kathleen Kennedy was all over her right away too. They are both sexists.
Kathleen Kennedy derangement syndrome strikes again!

Screamface

I know what you mean, Jurassic Park, Poltergeist, E.T. , Gremlins, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Who framed Roger Rabbit and many others where terrible movies.

This is all just semantics. We know she's a great producer, but that is supporting the talent. That is getting out of their way to facilitate them in making the movie they want. When the talent ain't up to the task, the final results won't be. If anything from what I can observe is that part of the problem with her leadership is that Lucasfilm needed someone running it that was more than just producing film makers visions. It needed a strong creative lead.

Phroobar

This is all just semantics. We know she's a great producer, but that is supporting the talent. That is getting out of their way to facilitate them in making the movie they want. When the talent ain't up to the task, the final results won't be. If anything from what I can observe is that part of the problem with her leadership is that Lucasfilm needed someone running it that was more than just producing film makers visions. It needed a strong creative lead.
You can say the thing about Disney. Lucasfilm had a strong creative lead. Look what the "fan base" did to him. We can't have it both ways.

Last edited:

doctornick

I have no opinion on Jenkins, but the idea that Snyder had anything to do with the first Wonder Woman being a success is utterly laughable. You couldn't make a film less in Snyder's style if you tried.

erasure fan1

This is all just semantics. We know she's a great producer, but that is supporting the talent.
Exactly. She's going to go down as one of the best producers ever. Even the detractors like myself say it. Was she a good fit for lucasfilm and star wars? Absolutely not in my opinion. I don't blame her for all the problems with star wars as Igers hands aren't clean either.
If anything from what I can observe is that part of the problem with her leadership is that Lucasfilm needed someone running it that was more than just producing film makers visions. It needed a strong creative lead.
Yup, and Kennedy isn't that person. Just look at all the movies she's been a part of. I can't think of any where she needed to be the creative lead. She does great in a logistics role but not so much in a creative roll.

Phroobar

Exactly. She's going to go down as one of the best producers ever. Even the detractors like myself say it. Was she a good fit for lucasfilm and star wars? Absolutely not in my opinion. I don't blame her for all the problems with star wars as Igers hands aren't clean either.

Yup, and Kennedy isn't that person. Just look at all the movies she's been a part of. I can't think of any where she needed to be the creative lead. She does great in a logistics role but not so much in a creative roll.
The problem is the "fan base" pretty much fired the creative guy at Lucasfillm. Kennedy started out as a production assistant and has worked on that side ever since. She isn't the idea person. She is the manager similar to Chapeak and Iger. She is going to do what her staff says and what is financially prudent.

erasure fan1

The problem is the "fan base" pretty much fired the creative guy at Lucasfillm. Kennedy started out as a production assistant and has worked on that side ever since. She isn't the idea person. She is the manager similar to Chapeak and Iger. She is going to do what her staff says and what is financially prudent.
I agree with all of that. But it still falls square in her lap. She could have hired a creative head for star wars and then done what she does best. But she decided what the creative direction would be. So it falls on her.

Phroobar

I agree with all of that. But it still falls square in her lap. She could have hired a creative head for star wars and then done what she does best. But she decided what the creative direction would be. So it falls on her.
That is true. She could just make Dave Filoni creative head. She needs her "Spielberg".

DCBaker

Premium Member
Patty Jenkins claims she is back working on Rogue Squadron.

"In a stunning turn of events, Patty Jenkins has claimed that she has signed a new deal with Lucasfilm and Disney to return to work as the writer and director of a Rogue Squadron movie, which was agreed just prior to this summer's strikes. Jenkins, who left the role in order to make Wonder Woman 3, told host Ben Mankiewicz on the TCM/Max podcast, Talking Pictures, that she had signed an agreement to return to a galaxy far, far away. For their part, Disney has provided no further updates on the project since it was pulled from the calendar back in 2022."

"So, when I left Star Wars to do Wonder Woman 3 , I thought maybe I'll come back to Star Wars after Wonder Woman 3 . So we did a deal for that to happen, started a deal, but I thought I was doing Wonder Woman. When that went away, Lucasfilm and I were like, oh, we gotta finish this deal. We finished the deal right as the strike was happening. So I now owe a draft of Star Wars and so we will see what happens there. You know, like, who knows?

And so we will see what happens there. You know, like, who knows? It's hard, they have a hard job in front of them of what's the first movie they're gonna do. They have other directors who have been working, but I am now, you know, I'm back on doing Rogue Squadron and we'll see what happens. We need to develop, you know, get it to where we're both super happy with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom