Park Closed Early due to crowds

haveyoumetmark

We were planning to hit MK the Sunday after Thanksgiving, but it looks as if everyone here is confirming there will be like Supercrowds, so we may just go in the beginning of December... first week or so.

Spyne

We arrived a few days before Thanksgiving in 2000 and MK was terrible, it closed at 9:30 am Thanksgiving Day at capacity. I don't know about the other 2 days because we gave up and left at about 10-10:30 The wait on Buzz Lightyear was over 90 minutes and you could not move for the people.
There is no way I would ever ever do it again. We spent our whole trip at MGM & DAK.

Hah, I was there Thanksgiving 2000, but not in MK. But...I really don't remember where we were. I was only 12 at the time so my memory's fuzzy. I didn't know MK was at full capacity during Thanksgiving though. We were in the MK area though. We went to the Fort Wilderness/River Country area to attend Mickey's Backyard Barbecue that night for Thanksgiving dinner. Good food? You bet. :slurp:

But, it is surprising how what was considered less busy times are now becoming more and more busy each year. Hmm. I think WDW's getting popular. :lol:

lentesta

Premium Member
Call me skeptical. If there was a closure at 10 am, the people I had in the MK today didn't mention anything about unusual crowds or high wait times. In fact, those people are still in the park as I type this at 9:20 pm.

Also I believe that all value resorts had rooms available last night, as I booked one at 4 pm Monday from my choice of any of them (I chose Pop). So I'm not sure where those crowds would be coming from.

Len

DisneyGigi

Hah, I was there Thanksgiving 2000, but not in MK. But...I really don't remember where we were. I was only 12 at the time so my memory's fuzzy. I didn't know MK was at full capacity during Thanksgiving though. We were in the MK area though. We went to the Fort Wilderness/River Country area to attend Mickey's Backyard Barbecue that night for Thanksgiving dinner. Good food? You bet. :slurp:

But, it is surprising how what was considered less busy times are now becoming more and more busy each year. Hmm. I think WDW's getting popular. :lol:
Not to sound dreary but ... we got there 2 days before Thanksgiving and
MK was bad that year, I had a 5 year old and a 2 1/2 year old in a stroller trying to navigate the crowds. The only ride we did was Buzz and we waited over 1 and 1/2 hours. The worst was Thanksgiving day when it closed. MGM & AK were okay. (we didn't do EPCOT that year because the kids were younger) After that Sunday it died down and was good for the next few days we were there.
And again,There is no way I would ever do it again, we take the kids out of school and go in February- Early March & September instead.

betharina

We were planning to hit MK the Sunday after Thanksgiving, but it looks as if everyone here is confirming there will be like Supercrowds, so we may just go in the beginning of December... first week or so.

where is there confirmation that there will be supercrowds? i am just curious since i am going next week!

Gorjus

and we just received a call from them saying they closed MK at 10am due to the overcrowding as it was a fire hazard......

Horse Hockey! There are no alerts on the hub indicating that any park has closed due to capacity.

Thanksgiving and Black Friday are expected to be VERY busy...so busy that 2 "Dream Come True" parades are scheduled for each day, one at 12:30 and one at 3:30. However, today, only one parade at 3. All week will be 2 night time parades.

Perhaps your relatives misunderstood and didn't realize that they meant that Thanksgiving and the day after MIGHT have phased closings.

strmchsr

where is there confirmation that there will be supercrowds? i am just curious since i am going next week!

I wouldn't talk about supercrowds for next week, but the week after thanksgiving has definitely gotten a good bit more crowded, largely due to everyone talking about how "uncrowded" it is (especially the guidebooks). So, while not expecting it to be packed to the gills, you should still expect lines and the need for fastpass next week.

dvitali

How much of a drop off in attendance and wait times is there from tommorrow (thankgiving day) and next week when they beginning to start filming the Christmas Day parade? I would think that most of the people will be starting to arrive sunday and stay the full week to be able to watch the taping show. Then it will be another drop in attendance and wait time after the taping and show is finish until christmas day.

Gorjus

Is that you, Colonel Potter? :lookaroun

Has anyone seen my horse Sophie?:wave:

As for the crowds, this is what I remember from last year while working at the Studios: Starting at 11 AM it simply became wall to wall people on Hollywood Blvd. and Sunset Blvd. It was absurdly crowded. This was the weekend after Thanksgiving. A good rule of thumb is: if it is a national holiday and people will be out of school/work, the parks will be quite crowded.

NCWDWFAN

I just got back last night from being at the WORLD for the last week and I can report that starting on Sunday, the crowds in all the parks increased greatly. But I went to the Magic Kingdom at different times on Monday and Tuesday and MK was open both days.

PintoColvig

I'm kind of new..never posted before, but i thought it was necessary to give some news...

We're meeting relatives in Disney tomorrow, and we just received a call from them saying they closed MK at 10am due to the overcrowding as it was a fire hazard...

this might put a damper on our plans as well as some of yours...

Call me skeptical. If there was a closure at 10 am, the people I had in the MK today didn't mention anything about unusual crowds or high wait times. In fact, those people are still in the park as I type this at 9:20 pm.

Also I believe that all value resorts had rooms available last night, as I booked one at 4 pm Monday from my choice of any of them (I chose Pop). So I'm not sure where those crowds would be coming from.

Len

Hmmmm, who do we believe? The kinfolk or the "unofficial guide" guy with a team of researchers on the ground? :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom