News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

Capsin4

My 5 year old son and 7 year old daughter told me this evening that they had more fun at universal this summer than Disney last trip. Surprising but we did get annual passes for the same as a 5 day pass so we’ll be skipping Disney again next year.

Disstevefan1

if you eait an hour because the place is packed or an hour because they cut staffing your vacation was the same technically. i don't agree with it but who am i.

The bigger question is, why does Disney allow 180 minute wait times even when attendance is down thereby making it the "new normal"? They could fully staff and open all the theaters in, for example, FOP but they choose not to, claiming they must reduce costs. I will answer my own question, BECAUSE THEY CAN! Folks will still come, still wait in 180 minute standby lines.

I just checked FOP, Wednesday at 2:26 , its a 50 minute wait... Well that's better than 180, still a long wait...

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

Just saw on another site that Disney is offering several discounts on resort/park deals. I think one was stay, play, and dine. There were at least 2 more listed. Sorry I don't remember all the details, but I'm sure you will see them soon!

ABQ

Minnesota disney fan

Oops, guess it was here, LOL! That's what I get for trying to do 10 things at once.
There does seem to be a lot of "new" discounts coming out though. Wonder why????(that's sarcasm, In case you didn't know:)

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
They’re concerned.... if the problems and solutions remain beyond Q2 (the current metric) they’ll be super concerned.

wonder what their course of action would be then?

spend more to build more/expand and gain more visitors or just keep cutting and then raising prices to things (answer is obvious based on trends but at some point they have to keep those repeat guests from not questioning whether to go back as often)

MaryJaneP

Gonna hafta be an increase in prices. If guest x price = income, and fewer guests, they gonna hafta raise prices to keep same income.

UpAllNight

This is likely a Star Wars lul in my opinion. Of the people I know who don’t go every year, visitors in 2016, 2017 and 2018 have stated they’re not going to return until 2020 for Star Wars, or 2021/2022 for the 50th. It’s be a little stupid not to delay if you’re not a yearly visitor. Part of the appeal is the new experiences, andI certainly want/need them to justify the cost.

Disney is going to be crazy busy in 2020.

Maybe Universals new strategy of not announcing project details makes better business sense after all.

MAGICFLOP

My 5 year old son and 7 year old daughter told me this evening that they had more fun at universal this summer than Disney last trip. Surprising but we did get annual passes for the same as a 5 day pass so we’ll be skipping Disney again next year.
I had a AP for universal and dumped it around 2007 (give or take) but it was only $99 renewal + taxes. At the time I think Disney was just over $200, if memory serves.

clarabellej

Have gone about ten years in a row, and probably not going next year.

It has taken me this long to realize that Disney doesn’t care and I am just a $$ number.

Always kind of bugged me that my repeat visits never seemed to matter to Disney.

I know that is silly, but you’d think I would have earned a badge or ribbon of some kind.

Even Talking Mickey didn’t care.

Tony the Tigger

It has taken me this long to realize that Disney doesn’t care and I am just a $$ number.

Always kind of bugged me that my repeat visits never seemed to matter to Disney.

I know that is silly, but you’d think I would have earned a badge or ribbon of some kind.

I have read this several times and can’t tell whether or not it is serious.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

If Disney were to give you a badge or ribbon highlighting your 10 years of visits, would your resume you business with them?

Bocabear

If Disney were to give you a badge or ribbon highlighting your 10 years of visits, would your resume you business with them?
That is an interesting question...I tyhink little things like that matter and make you feel more like a guest than a customer. ...A subtle difference. There are tons of things they could do for APers to keep them year to year... Also the same with DVC and they could do things for repeat customers...a little acknowledgement goes a long way...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The bigger question is, why does Disney allow 180 minute wait times even when attendance is down thereby making it the "new normal"? They could fully staff and open all the theaters in, for example, FOP but they choose not to, claiming they must reduce costs. I will answer my own question, BECAUSE THEY CAN! Folks will still come, still wait in 180 minute standby lines.

I just checked FOP, Wednesday at 2:26 , its a 50 minute wait... Well that's better than 180, still a long wait...
This ride is definitely worth a 50 minute wait.

At 5 pm it was 55 minutes stand by and 55 minutes single rider. Maybe the "crowd" was "down" because of the heat, but the walkways were crowded like the Spring Break pictures we see on here every year. We also saw lots of people just sitting around sucking down ice cold beverages of all shapes and sizes yesterday afternoon.

MickeyMinnieMom

That is an interesting question...I tyhink little things like that matter and make you feel more like a guest than a customer. ...A subtle difference. There are tons of things they could do for APers to keep them year to year... Also the same with DVC and they could do things for repeat customers...a little acknowledgement goes a long way...
Like my little “member since 1999” on the front of my Amex card? I do kinda’ like seeing that... :)

I think that DVC has done a decent job — they’ve sent little things over the years as “gifts”. Both DVC and AP have perks they change up over the years. Nothing I can recall that talks about how many years, though.

I have liked little things like the last few times we’ve been to Tiffins, there was a little card with our names on it thanking us for being repeat diners there. That can’t be expensive, but does make the customer feel good — nice little touch.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

DCL at least recognizes repeat passengers with escalating perks based on the number of cruises you've been on... none of them have any monetary value, but are considered valuable enough to make people want to come back... it doesn't have to be expensive to reinforce repeat visitor brand loyalty...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom