News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sooo... pulling these two posts together... IF this is a net price increase kicking in 10/16/18 (as I’d assume it is), I have doubts that the top brass is SUPER concerned about their soft Fall projections...

... serious doubts if the increase is significant.
They’re concerned.... if the problems and solutions remain beyond Q2 (the current metric) they’ll be super concerned.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why? It was a hurricane last year. Which is rain. (and wind etc) but my point is, why do people let last years forecast and events, effect this year travels. There is no reason to believe in any real way that this year will see a hurricane. In fact, the odds of you traveling to Disney and getting your vacation ruined by a tropical storm or worse are very, very, very small.

Now if people don't want to go during the summer because it's hot, or the afternoon storms, then sure... that makes sense because it is always hot and afternoon storms during certain times of the year... but hurricanes are a rarity, even in Florida.

While I fully agree...

A busy hurricane season always scares people off the next year. Every single time.

Even last year...where Florida is largely unscathed. This year’s Carolina cane is gonna affect bookings in Orlando next year...rest assured.

Humans are irrational animals.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Just out of curiosity, other than the first MNSSHP, have there been any other sellouts yet this year? In recent years 2015 looks like it had the most sellout dates, and that number has dropped precipitously since then. I usually like to think of these parties as a barometer of demand for the parks.

Tony the Tigger

Why? It was a hurricane last year. Which is rain. (and wind etc) but my point is, why do people let last years forecast and events, effect this year travels. There is no reason to believe in any real way that this year will see a hurricane. In fact, the odds of you traveling to Disney and getting your vacation ruined by a tropical storm or worse are very, very, very small.

Now if people don't want to go during the summer because it's hot, or the afternoon storms, then sure... that makes sense because it is always hot and afternoon storms during certain times of the year... but hurricanes are a rarity, even in Florida.

Why is it a messed up comment? Because you are minimizing a serious hurricane where people died and suffered other losses as “rain.“ I assure you, we here in Florida are quite used to “rain“ and this is not that.

My point was not whether it was correct or not, the fact is: after a busy hurricane season, people are more cautious the next year. After a slow hurricane season or two, people are less cautious. Rational or not, that is the way it is.

peter11435

Just out of curiosity, other than the first MNSSHP, have there been any other sellouts yet this year? In recent years 2015 looks like it had the most sellout dates, and that number has dropped precipitously since then. I usually like to think of these parties as a barometer of demand for the parks.
There have been a couple other sell outs.

Also the cap on tickets has increased since 2015.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
[QUOTE="boufa, post: 8392559, member:

Now if people don't want to go during the summer because it's hot, or the afternoon storms, then sure... that makes sense because it is always hot and afternoon storms during certain times of the year... but hurricanes are a rarity, even in Florida.[/QUOTE]

Have you seen today's GOES map ? Hurricanes are a given

MickeyMinnieMom

They’re concerned.... if the problems and solutions remain beyond Q2 (the current metric) they’ll be super concerned.
Why the price increase now? Left hand not knowing what the right is doing? Or do they not think an increase could adversely affect attendance? Or they just think that profit equation will allow them to improve net even with lower attendance... lower than this Fall’s?

Last edited:

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

The problem, as I see it....

MK - no change.
What WAS HS - not worth it 'till about 2020.
EPCOT - not exactly worth it...

So the natural side effect: EVERYONE who goes, will go to the best park... the MK. Why not? Same price :(.
I believe the MK is about to get FAR more crowded, until 2020 :(. This is not helping :(.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

jrhwdw

How far are they willing to cut?
I'd like to know too. And are they going to do anything the when Public hears these cuts and get raised prices in a couple weeks???

TDO will have to pull an HEA miracle if ROE's Replacement and/or SW:GE flops.

And where is all this money going?? Is it just bonuses?? To another part of the company? Maybe a TV Network?

Last edited:
I'd like to know too. And are they going to do anything the when Public hears these cuts and get raised prices in a couple weeks???

And where is all this money going?? Is it just bonuses?? To another part of the company? Maybe a TV Network?

Well, there's quite a few announcements of casting for shows being produced for the new streaming service...

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

SWGE will not flop. It will be the most successful area redevelopment Disney has ever done. Waits will be on the order of Pandora if not greater.

The problem is that just like Pandora there was little to no carryover into the other parks, meaning it was not a significant draw of new guests. Yes more people came to DAK but they didn’t visit the MK or DHS. Pandora wasn’t a rising tide lifts all boats situation.

Also keep in mind DAK was better able to handle the additional crush of people because of its size. DHS won’t Be able to and the incremental increase in guests will be smaller.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom