News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

MickeyMinnieMom

A little. Plus this is a large development that’s been in the pipeline for a long time. Pesky things like attendance figures can’t get in the way of the latest and greatest scheme that’s been scheduled to happen now for a year or more.
I can see some of that mentality in a giant company. Takes a while to turn a tanker around, so let’s stay the course. Not great, to be sure.

While some cannot fathom this, I have confidence in Disney’s mid- and long-term prospects and decision-making — in their ability and track record of righting the ship when they steer it wrong (which happens in every company).

But short-term, they certainly make missteps like any other firm. Will be interesting to see how the ‘now-SWGE gap’ is handled, then how ‘SWGE-other major offerings’ goes — particularly after this ticketing change & increase.

show me the money

I fear the deal is more concern over the numbers for the next quarter than the quality and long term health of the parks. We get it, it's a business. But once upon a time, this business was able to offer quality and still make money.
just like many companies, Disney now has too many middle mangers that suck off profit but will not get off the apple cart and help push

jrhwdw

SWGE will not flop. It will be the most successful area redevelopment Disney has ever done. Waits will be on the order of Pandora if not greater.

The problem is that just like Pandora there was little to no carryover into the other parks, meaning it was not a significant draw of new guests. Yes more people came to DAK but they didn’t visit the MK or DHS. Pandora wasn’t a rising tide lifts all boats situation.

Also keep in mind DAK was better able to handle the additional crush of people because of its size. DHS won’t Be able to and the incremental increase in guests will be smaller.
That's good to know about SW:GE, I'm still a little concerned about ROE since were now under a year from closing(I'm guessing Labor Day 2019) we know something is planned right away, but we don't how big, Longer than ROE? more Pyro? any Epcot music in this show?

WDWDad2907

They’re concerned.... if the problems and solutions remain beyond Q2 (the current metric) they’ll be super concerned.

Disney confuses me. The price increases/changes to pricing structure seem to target repeat/loyal customers (i.e. those that very likely won't pass on future Disney vacation despite price hikes and increased necessity for well-in-advance planning), but all of the changes to the parks (including the ongoing cuts to cast member usage in/on attractions) seem very much targeted at casual/one-time customers. How do they reconcile these two things? I realize there has to be a balance, but these strategies seem to be headed in the exact opposite direction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Disney confuses me. The price increases/changes to pricing structure seem to target repeat/loyal customers (i.e. those that very likely won't pass on future Disney vacation despite price hikes and increased necessity for well-in-advance planning), but all of the changes to the parks (including the ongoing cuts to cast member usage in/on attractions) seem very much targeted at casual/one-time customers. How do they reconcile these two things? I realize there has to be a balance, but these strategies seem to be headed in the exact opposite direction.
They do indeed.

Lensman

I think the changes "benefit", or at least "don't target" visitors like me who can plan ahead and go off-peak. Now in addition to room stays being a bit cheaper, park prices will be as well. And with the cheaper prices will come some additional visitors, which makes it more likely that there will be a little longer hours and more shows/parades in the off-peak season.

I think the price changes target peak visitors, particularly those staying offsite since peak visitors staying onsite already pay the price via higher room rates. And hopefully the leveling of guests will reduce overtime for CMs and increase the number of full-time positions off-peak, but I'm not holding my breath.

geekza

And hopefully the leveling of guests will reduce overtime for CMs and increase the number of full-time positions off-peak, but I'm not holding my breath.
I don't know about that. Typically, when the number of staff is reduced, it isn't because the work has decreased. It just means that those who are left have to take on the work responsibilities of those who were let go. For example, one of the performers at the Laugh Floor recently left. Rather than replacing him, they just fill in his slots with the remaining performers.

UpAllNight

Posted in a Universal thread but I checked out pricing for next year coming from the UK and I’ve never seen it so cheap. In May, for 17 nights including flights we could stay on I drive for less than $1000 a person (2 people). Disney and Universal hotels much cheaper too than usual....makes me want to sack off the weeks trip to Greece that cost the same price! No wonder Disneyland Paris struggles...not much more expensive going to a Florida for 3 times the length of time

asianway

I don't know about that. Typically, when the number of staff is reduced, it isn't because the work has decreased. It just means that those who are left have to take on the work responsibilities of those who were let go. For example, one of the performers at the Laugh Floor recently left. Rather than replacing him, they just fill in his slots with the remaining performers.
Do you mean now a performer does more work during a shift, or are they just covering more shifts? thanks

geekza

Do you mean now a performer does more work during a shift, or are they just covering more shifts? thanks
I don't know details. Just what I was told by a friend in the show. He just told me that one of the performers left and that they weren't refilling the contract with another actor. They haven't decreased the number of shows in a day, so someone has to end up working more.

AndyS2992

Posted in a Universal thread but I checked out pricing for next year coming from the UK and I’ve never seen it so cheap. In May, for 17 nights including flights we could stay on I drive for less than $1000 a person (2 people). Disney and Universal hotels much cheaper too than usual....makes me want to sack off the weeks trip to Greece that cost the same price! No wonder Disneyland Paris struggles...not much more expensive going to a Florida for 3 times the length of time
What sites you looking at? The ones I’m looking at show the prices are now higher than ever :confused:

matt9112

Agreed. Thanks. I realize now that is the reason why the standby times remain high. They operate with less theaters to cut down on payroll costs. Good for the bottom line, bad for the guest experience.

if you eait an hour because the place is packed or an hour because they cut staffing your vacation was the same technically. i don't agree with it but who am i.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom