News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

eddie104

You bypassed the crux of his point...

That studios only has so much physical space...and that limits “growth”
Nothing they are building now will ease that.

People tend to have no concept of how much smaller mgm is as compared to the other 3...

A lot of the distortion is that you have walk around some of the attractions and service buildings...where as the others are set up outside in...for the most part.

You can’t invent time and space.

I think Star Wars will be a bigger success in Anaheim just based on logistics...which is opposite my first impression.
It will probably be more successful in Anaheim for the simple fact that land will bring 2 new E tickets that the park hasn’t seen in like 20 years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It will probably be more successful in Anaheim for the simple fact that land will bring 2 new E tickets that the park hasn’t seen in like 20 years.

Yes...

And that Disneyland has far more other “good things” to deflect crowds and frustration when the Star Wars area fills to capacity.

Based on what I recently saw during the “dead” crowds at toy story land...Florida is screwed.

Stripes

You misunderstand I think. SWL will be immensely popular. Too much so. The park will frequently reach capacity and all those wanting to come and spend money won’t physically get in.
The good news to this comment is that Disney isn't about to leave free money on the table for very long. Hopefully this indicates further expansion of the park in the very near future.

And my condolences Martin, you and your family will be in my prayers tonight.

eddie104

Yes...

And that Disneyland has far more other “good things” to deflect crowds and frustration when the Star Wars area fills to capacity.

Based on what I recently saw during the “dead” crowds at toy story land...Florida is screwed.
Hopefully they do because reading the DL boards space is very limited over there.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No it doesn’t. It says SWL can not be a golden goose since it, and the park it’s in, is too small.

Agree 100%...it’s why the “half measure” conversion of mgm built as a feeder park as compared to epcot, which cost 4x as much as decade earlier, is looking more and more like a titanic miscalculation.

I think that’s why you got “all that stuff” announced last July...probably the only reason in reality.

But it’s not going to work...studios and magic kingdom will be crushed unless they do way more to Epcot and dak. Not enough and the stagnation since the millennium continues to loom like a spectre.

And let’s face it: the current management of the Star Wars franchise is in code red status. It is not supporting the longterm appeal of this land very well. I’m not saying it won’t be packed...it will...but they are not reinforcing it’s appeal. Abrams from reports is all over the map (tough writing a sequel for a dead end movie)...bringing in LOST characters and a 130 year old billy Dee Williams....going “corpse” with stock footage...the rest of the franchise has been on shutdown/lockdown for six months...and where is kathy Kennedy? Nobody has seen her for months...leading a lot of credence to the Internet conspiracy that she’s already been fired. And there’s more.

It’s flailing...but that’s a topic for another thread 🤪

ToyStoryMiss

I just came back from a 10 day trip and honestly, to me, it seemed more crowded than ever! Most of the otherwise uncrowded rides (LWTL, IASW, SSE, etc) were pushing 40-55 minute waits, even during mid-week! Then again, it was in the 90s (with 103 heat index) every day, so maybe it pushed more people into them, but still..it was a zoo at every park.

eddie104

I just came back from a 10 day trip and honestly, to me, it seemed more crowded than ever! Most of the otherwise uncrowded rides (LWTL, IASW, SSE, etc) were pushing 40-55 minute waits, even during mid-week! Then again, it was in the 90s (with 103 heat index) every day, so maybe it pushed more people into them, but still..it was a zoo at every park.
Honestly it seems like people are going around in circles with this conversation because some say it was crowded the last week and then others say CMs have been cut so wait times are longer. I don't understand was less crowded means in todays terms as Disney Parks are just so much more busier.

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
SWGE opens late 2019. Parks at that time are already packed with Holiday crowds. Already one of the busiest times of the year. The initial overall incremental difference will not be as noticeable because it is going to be buried with the rest. Going forward into 2020 does anyone expect DHS to sell out on a consistent basis? Probably not. Especially if they raise prices in anticipation of the added demand, which you know is coming.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
SWGE opens late 2019. Parks at that time are already packed with Holiday crowds. Already one of the busiest times of the year. The initial overall incremental difference will not be as noticeable because it is going to be buried with the rest. Going forward into 2020 does anyone expect DHS to sell out on a consistent basis? Probably not. Especially if they raise prices in anticipation of the added demand, which you know is coming.

Agree...completely.

I think the net attendance gain...vastly underrated for avatar...is overrated for this...

We shall see.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Honestly it seems like people are going around in circles with this conversation because some say it was crowded the last week and then others say CMs have been cut so wait times are longer. I don't understand was less crowded means in todays terms as Disney Parks are just so much more busier.

Except one take makes sense and the other doesn’t...

Mainly because those that claim crowds tend to only look at the standby wait times and the fireworks crowd...not noticing light crowds on the paths most of the days

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
Agree...completely.

I think the net attendance gain...vastly underrated for avatar...is overrated for this...

We shall see.

People into SWGE will go and guide their trip around it. People who just want to go to WDW will not make any change to their visitation plans or their decision to visit.

Again any increase in prices may have unintended consequences as well.

eddie104

Except one take makes sense and the other doesn’t...

Mainly because those that claim crowds tend to only look at the standby wait times and the fireworks crowd...not noticing light crowds on the paths most of the days
Huh ??? So your disputing guests who were actually there and I find it hard to believe if people say WDW was crowded they are lying.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Huh ??? So your disputing guests who were actually there and I find it hard to believe if people say WDW was crowded they are lying.

Nope...I have been there myself recently and I’m interpreting the reality on the ground.

Perhaps you had some long lines...and food and wine/Halloween tickets draw higher crowds on certain days...

But you have to look at the aggregate.

eddie104

Nope...I have been there myself recently and I’m interpreting the reality on the ground.

Perhaps you had some long lines...and food and wine/Halloween tickets draw higher crowds on certain days...

But you have to look at the aggregate.
Look I know how you feel about the soft crowds and overall your general feelings toward Disney so I don't want to sugarcoat anything. Just because Disney experiences a month or two of slow crowds does not mean it's indicative of the future. People say this is typically a slow month so I wouldn't even be drawing conclusions from attendance at all based on this time period. We will see in a month or so when the typical holiday crowds come if the number of people is lower than usual which it may or may not be.

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

I have been in 2007, 2008, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 all in Labor Day week for 10 days, we did 7 this year, and I can promise you, it was 2007, 2008.. level slow. I know what I am comparing to, we are very familiar with this time of year. It was flat out, amazing slow. May not continue, but it was solid slow, except for the last weekend, and only crowded at MK and Epcot. Weekend only (Food & Wine) Wait Times were exaggerated. Take that with a grain of salt, but it was slower than it has been in a long time.
Edit to add, going back for a short trip to see the lights, in late November, a 9 day trip in early May. To beat Star Wars crowds. Nothing, and I repeat, nothing will make me go when Star Wars Land opens. I will take a break to let it die down. I really don’t think I am the only person, that will do that.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom