News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

Tom P.

Hollywood Studios is different than Animal Kingdom. When I went right after Avatar's opening, I was able to avoid it and not even notice a significant uptick in crowds and congestion. I don't expect that to be the case at DHS.
I think you're right. However, it may also be that around the time of Galaxy's Edge's opening, that the other three parks will actually be much more pleasant, because all of the crowds will be trying to pack into Hollywood Studios. It's possible that someone who was willing to skip DHS and focus on the other three parks might find really good crowd levels.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you're right. However, it may also be that around the time of Galaxy's Edge's opening, that the other three parks will actually be much more pleasant, because all of the crowds will be trying to pack into Hollywood Studios. It's possible that someone who was willing to skip DHS and focus on the other three parks might find really good crowd levels.

That’s my general thought as well...for 2020

And if it’s overrun...the people will give up and then Fan out backwards over time...

Not a bad scenario.

I can’t lie...my first shot for “galaxys edge” (still can’t stomach that name) will be likely in Anaheim.

But if I don’t get near it - that’s ok...I can do DCA stuff and the other 2/3 of the park if nuts are gonna nut...

And I’m the Star Wars wheelhouse age...and I followed it through the down period...and I built massive Star Wars themed floats for my massive college homecoming parades in the 90’s...and I have a catalogue of original merchandise purchased over a 30 year history that’s quite valuable...

And I’m ok skipping it...so how’s it looking to you? 🤩

wdworlandlover

I was trying to book a weekend in October for my Partner's birthday abd every Disney hotel and DVC unit are sold out....So it must not be too soft.
The same thing happened to me. I’ve noticed that if you try to book a 2 night stay over the weekend in October, there are no rooms. But if you make it a 3 night reservation (over the weekend) there are plenty to choose from.

Cookizza

Then, Disney created festivals and events (mostly running) to drive year-round attendance, and they created another problem because they couldn’t cut operating hours or schedule multiple rolling refurbs like they did from 1971–about 2009.

I was just thinking about the lack of refurbs today when Expedition Everest went offline with "major technical difficulties" shortly after we arrived at 10am, and CMs clustered at the entrance were telling folks it would be down all day long.

15 years ago, on my "once in a lifetime" WDW trip as a faraway dreamer, I remember having to be very mindful when planning vacation dates around refurbishments that started in late summer-ish and stretched well through autumn and winter. Today, as a newly minted local, I've been amazed and appreciative of the lack of planned downtime - but unexpected ride breakdowns do seem to be happening much more frequently than anticipated. Are the "rolling refurbs" a thing of the past completely?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The same thing happened to me. I’ve noticed that if you try to book a 2 night stay over the weekend in October, there are no rooms. But if you make it a 3 night reservation (over the weekend) there are plenty to choose from.
That isn’t true of Disney’s or DVC’s booking system...there are no holds for minimum stays...

Now that doesn’t stop Priceline from doing it...

But as stated 4,235,347 Times...weekends in October are gonna be booked up as it is a popular AP/Florida resident Time.

Drunk around the world

Wendy Pleakley

I don't see this happening.

I think most people who visit WDW go to all four parks, and will continue to do so.

There will be an attendance bump at the Studios, people might spend a second day there, but I can't imagine the rest of the resort will be noticeably quieter.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't see this happening.

I think most people who visit WDW go to all four parks, and will continue to do so.

There will be an attendance bump at the Studios, people might spend a second day there, but I can't imagine the rest of the resort will be noticeably quieter.

It’s a matter of hotel rooms...

The offsite ones. Onproperty is usually full or very close...

So will enough people flood the others and pay fees and not get fastpasses to flood Star Wars AND the other parks? And if so...will they stick to Disney if Star Wars is a nightmare?

Questions, questions

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
One of the reasons that hotels appear booked during slow periods is they sell blocks of rooms to discount sites like Priceline and Expedia. While Disney may not have a room for your time period, you may be able to get one through Priceline.

Also some travel agencies that specialize in WDW vacations do that same and have availability when MDE doesn't.

I've had that happen, too. I booked the longer stay on MDE, waited a week, then called to reduce the number of days.

MickeyCB

What is a "dead point"?

The Polynesian and wilderness lodge bungalows...in the simplest form of explanation.

So those are 90-200 or so points a night...which means a membership to cover a week is around 700 points per year (rough figures for example purposes)

Are they selling 700 point contracts used for those? Some...but mostly “no”

They can take that 700 points and sell it in 150 point increments on separate contracts.

So instead of Wolfgang Von sucklestein jetting down from the hamptons for a week at wilderness cabins...

There are 5 families of 5 searching in the system for studios at boardwalk, contemporary and old key west...
From Columbus, Ohio.[/QUOTE]

That is awesome! You have the best way of summing things up!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Polynesian and wilderness lodge bungalows...in the simplest form of explanation.

So those are 90-200 or so points a night...which means a membership to cover a week is around 700 points per year (rough figures for example purposes)

They can take that 700 points and sell it in 150 point increments on separate contracts.

So instead of Wolfgang Von sucklestein jetting down from the hamptons for a week at wilderness cabins...

There are 5 families of 5 searching in the system for studios at boardwalk, contemporary and old key west...
From Columbus, Ohio.

That is awesome! You have the best way of summing things up![/QUOTE]

I’m an acquired taste...

I used to play on another playground...but they stole my ball and I like it here.

(Besides...I keep getting told the place is like a funeral now 😴 )

Goofnut1980

I welcome a little softness in attendance. It was getting pretty bad for fall and even the first part of December. We would go 5-10 years ago and it would be 20ish minute waits, which is great. But last year and the year before for fall and first week of December was stupid. Waiting 30 minutes to ride TTA or 75 minutes for Space or Big Thunder when its always been slow. Not a fun time.
I know folks say we don't need a 5th gate. But if crowds increase, wouldn't that help alleviate the pressure from the other 4 parks and spread guests out a bit. I know attendance would go up with a new park, but spreading out the love could be a nice thing.

Adding and adding to existing parks only crowds those parks more and more.

MickeyMinnieMom

From Columbus, Ohio.

That is awesome! You have the best way of summing things up![/QUOTE]

Anyone know the average size of a DVC contract/purchase these days?

We’ve increasingly had issues getting a 2BR at 7mos — I’ve read stuff here and there that suggests we’re not alone. That’s more than just a bunch of people fighting over a few studios.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom