News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

rd805

Me personally? My next trip will be for Star Wars, whether i'm doing LA or Orlando is yet to be seen. I'm from PA, and had a Christmas visit in Dec. 2017. I was thinking about trying an inexpensive quick one for this fall, but instead of throwing money at that I'm hopefully upgrading my 2019 experience when i'll get something big and new.

I would bet a lot of people are thinking similarly at this point. Go 6-12 months later and get the new Mickey Ride, all of Star Wars, and TSL will still be new too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Me personally? My next trip will be for Star Wars, whether i'm doing LA or Orlando is yet to be seen. I'm from PA, and had a Christmas visit in Dec. 2017. I was thinking about trying an inexpensive quick one for this fall, but instead of throwing money at that I'm hopefully upgrading my 2019 experience when i'll get something big and new.

I would bet a lot of people are thinking similarly at this point. Go 6-12 months later and get the new Mickey Ride, all of Star Wars, and TSL will still be new too.
We on the boards overthink it this much...i would say the vast majority won’t.

And studies is gonna be awful...as an aside.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One of the things improved is the access to the "old e-ticket" rides. That is a big deal for our tribe. One can now ride ToT and the R&R coaster with minimal wait, mostly due to TSL opening....Soaring is another ride now possible....it used to be an hour and a half ordeal.....

Disney has built 2 new Lands, one each in DHS/AK, are building another in DHS, expanded Fantasyland, and are building two new E-tic rides in Epcot. While they were more than a bit late with these, the execution not exactly smooth, and the "better experience" not yet realized for some, they have NOT stood pat......

Point here is they did not stand still....plenty of issues there, but standing still is not one of them....

I have to say i was just there for a week in the “slow” period...and it’s gonna be completely opposite to what you are saying/predicting...

The only thing that is gonna bail them out from an operational standpoint is a recession...realistically speaking

disneyflush

Epcot seems to be where I’m seeing this the most (studios always seems crowded right now even when it isn’t lol). We are regularly seeing TT at 30 minutes and Soaring at 10 (aka walk-on). I usually use these two attractions as a gauge on how the crowds are and so far, it’s crazy light. Especially on a weeknight.

Yes, I understand people are boozing around the world which pulls folks out of Future world but the past few years of F&W meant insane crowds either way. I’m sure it will pick up once the weather starts to cool down a bit but for now, it is kinda nice :).

IMO, this is nothing more than folks holding off due to Star Wars. We’ve got plenty of friends up north that are absolutely holding off on a trip this fall in favor of seeing when the new land opens.

Asking because I'm genuinely curious....could Disney price you (or this group of people you know) out of your trips planned when SW:GE opens? Or is the finish line so clearly defined that it would take a minor miracle to keep you away from visiting and seeing it? No hidden agenda with this question, just really interested in hearing your opinion.

polynesiangirl

This is especially interesting to me because I still couldn't even get many of the FPs I wanted for later this month (on the first day my window opened! Staying on property!) and there were multiple ADRs that I either couldn't get or couldn't get at a decent time. I was on property around the same time last year and I don't recall it being very busy at all...

I'm only going this month because I already have to be in Orlando for unrelated reasons, so it's not like I went out of my way to book this trip (and to be honest I've been to WDW so many times that missing things here and there doesn't irk me the way it would irk someone who's making this their one/twice in a lifetime trip), but it's still really confusing especially when I read stuff like this!

Dad 2 M & M

I have to say i was just there for a week in the “slow” period...and it’s gonna be completely opposite to what you are saying/predicting...

The only thing that is gonna bail them out from an operational standpoint is a recession...realistically speaking
? Not sure as to which point your are referring...

We were there Labir Day (took in the Camping World Kick Off as well), and were amazed at the emptiness of the Parks.....this shouldn’t have been a “slow” time, and we were able to ride ToT over and over. While riding ToT over and over st night is not unheard of, R&R was a 15 minute wait, so we took it in twice as well. Same thing for Soaring.....

Amazed at the the differing experiences many peeps posting now are having....

This comment is in reference to the “old e-ticket rides” being easier to ride after recent/ongoing expansions

**edit**posted from my iPhone...please excuse typos.....and why is everyone around me driving weird?

wishiwere@wdw

Asking because I'm genuinely curious....could Disney price you (or this group of people you know) out of your trips planned when SW:GE opens? Or is the finish line so clearly defined that it would take a minor miracle to keep you away from visiting and seeing it? No hidden agenda with this question, just really interested in hearing your opinion.
You bring up a fair and interesting point. Unfortunately, being local, I’m probably not the greatest use-case to base this on :).

That being said, if it weren’t for SW:GE opening next fall, we likely wouldn’t be renewing our AP’s. In fact, we wouldn’t have them now as it is were it not for the nice DVC discount. Being a family of 6 requires a much deeper analysis on these things lol. So for now, we’ll likely renew for at least one more year just to have a shot at seeing SW:GE; hopefully multiple times.

As for family and friends, I can say with absolute certainty that they are planning ‘The’ big trip all around “that Star Wars Park that’s opening at Disney”. While those type of guests certainly care about cost, it is whatever it costs them when it comes to that big trip. These type of guests Disney likely won’t see for a few more years after as well so IMO, it’s a different/new demographic being hit by this new land opening.

Of course, this is all just my opinion so take it for what it’s worth :)

BigThunderMatt

Only thing I'd add would be they STILL want APs in the Parks spending money; in Disney's eyes just buying the AP and not using it would still be a partial failure as they figure some minimum $$$ spent above the price of the pass. No telling how deep an actuary goes in predicting additional $$ spent by the purchaser, as well as who has to answer if an AP holder NEVER goes thru a gate.....

No, I'd believe that no question. And it might not come from merch or food sales but in other areas. Passholder exclusive events (what little there are) and weekend resort rates were a big one. It was very common for the bulk of reservations on a Friday night to check in to be DVC and AP reservations.

Fun Side Note: If you're DVC and you book a regular resort room with points, you're locked into whatever bed type you book. Don't book a king and expect it to be changed to two queens when you arrive because that's what you actually wanted. Member Services are the only ones that can change or modify those reservations, resort front desk can't do a thing about it. So when you show up at 11 pm expecting a bed type you didn't book, don't get mad at me when the only office that can modify your reservation is closed for the night.

disneyflush

You bring up a fair and interesting point. Unfortunately, being local, I’m probably not the greatest use-case to base this on :).

That being said, if it weren’t for SW:GE opening next fall, we likely wouldn’t be renewing our AP’s. In fact, we wouldn’t have them now as it is were it not for the nice DVC discount. Being a family of 6 requires a much deeper analysis on these things lol. So for now, we’ll likely renew for at least one more year just to have a shot at seeing SW:GE; hopefully multiple times.

As for family and friends, I can say with absolute certainty that they are planning ‘The’ big trip all around “that Star Wars Park that’s opening at Disney”. While those type of guests certainly care about cost, it is whatever it costs them when it comes to that big trip. These type of guests Disney likely won’t see for a few more years after as well so IMO, it’s a different/new demographic being hit by this new land opening.

Of course, this is all just my opinion so take it for what it’s worth :)

Good deal. I definitely appreciate the feedback. I'm very interested in seeing if there is much, if any, price resistance for the percentage of people holding back on visiting until after Star Wars opens.

Scuttle

With a strong economy and record air travel this Summer, for WDW to be down, that implies problems with the product itself. People are traveling, just not to WDW.
Adapt or die. TDO waited way too long to build any new significant park offerings coming out of the recession. They should have anticipated this strong economy 10 years out and had been ready for it.

People are really underestimating how fast Orlando is growing. Once terminal C opens at the airport and the i4 project is done Orlando is going to explode with growth as it already is.

wannabeBelle

That brings up a point that I spoke with a few Guest Services and manager types about when I was down there last. I have an AP And have for quite a few years now. I don't live locally to the parks ( I live in NYC) and so if I am coming down for a Passholder event, I need as much notice as they can possibly give me, so I can make resort reservations, flight arrangements, rental car etc. I did manage to make the Playtime event, as well as the magnet and cutting board offering for the Food & Wine fest but I had that trip planned months earlier, the dates just happened to work. I can be somewhat flexible for an item of interest. A great example of something I wasn't able to see because it did not coincide was the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Live show in EPCOT. By the time I had all of the information on the show, I wasn't able to get decent airfare and arrange my schedule to get down to Florida. I would have loved to have seen that show, the videos looked great!!! If events were announced further out, possibly more non local AP holders/ DVC members would be attending. Marie

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
That brings up a point that I spoke with a few Guest Services and manager types about when I was down there last. I have an AP And have for quite a few years now. I don't live locally to the parks ( I live in NYC) and so if I am coming down for a Passholder event, I need as much notice as they can possibly give me, so I can make resort reservations, flight arrangements, rental car etc. I did manage to make the Playtime event, as well as the magnet and cutting board offering for the Food & Wine fest but I had that trip planned months earlier, the dates just happened to work. I can be somewhat flexible for an item of interest. A great example of something I wasn't able to see because it did not coincide was the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Live show in EPCOT. By the time I had all of the information on the show, I wasn't able to get decent airfare and arrange my schedule to get down to Florida. I would have loved to have seen that show, the videos looked great!!! If events were announced further out, possibly more non local AP holders/ DVC members would be attending. Marie

Ah, the perks of being a travel agent, probably as good or better than being an airline employee. :) (I'm a former airline employee, my flight benefits run out at the end of this year and it is depressing!!!!)

Nubs70

Maybe don't call people out for BS when you don't know what you're talking about? From the Q3 earnings call:

"Occupancy at our domestic hotels was down about 2 percentage points to 86%, reflecting reduced room inventory due to room refurbishments and conversions."

Reduced inventory due to refurbishments and conversions results in reduced occupancy percentage. If your theory were correct, exactly the opposite would be true.
Confused??

If there are fewer room available and the same number of guests, Would not occupacy % increase?

Epcot '92

Confused??

If there are fewer room available and the same number of guests, Would not occupacy % increase?
A room under refurb is considered to be a room that cannot be occupied and thus a loss of revenue and occupancy since the amout of rooms have not changed, just the availability.

Or they are doing creative accounting.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is especially interesting to me because I still couldn't even get many of the FPs I wanted for later this month (on the first day my window opened! Staying on property!) and there were multiple ADRs that I either couldn't get or couldn't get at a decent time. I was on property around the same time last year and I don't recall it being very busy at all...

I'm only going this month because I already have to be in Orlando for unrelated reasons, so it's not like I went out of my way to book this trip (and to be honest I've been to WDW so many times that missing things here and there doesn't irk me the way it would irk someone who's making this their one/twice in a lifetime trip), but it's still really confusing especially when I read stuff like this!
FP ratio has been cut for quite a lot of attractions due to standby time complaints. Passage in particular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom