News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It’s funny how people judge Disney for cutting labor or using whatever tactic they see fit to adjust for the unexpected slump in attendance. People aren’t not coming to Disney because they sent Timmy the CP home early to cut some labor rather than keep him and pay him to stand outside and play hula hoop.
Yeah, but to those who are coming, and paid full price for their tickets and rooms, and are expecting an appropriate experience for their money, it's a slap in the face to get to WDW and find out they'll be waiting an hour to check in, waiting an hour for a bus, waiting an hour to get through security, and then waiting an hour -- per ride -- to ride anything... all because the executives need to protect their bonus checks.

ColdSarsaparilla

I've seen this sentiment commonly expressed every single year going back, no exaggeration, decades.

Disney has always "gone too far", and yet attendance and prices keep going up and up and up.

As have I... It's easy to jump to conclusions and maybe I'm projecting what I hope is occurring; but, anecdotally, I know quite a few people that are true Disney fans who used to go to WDW regularly but no longer do. And, personally, for the first time ever, we slashed the time we spent on grounds in half on our recent annual/semi-annual summer trip. I have to believe that will catch up to them eventually, especially in times when, for whatever reason, the resort is not drawing masses of casual guests.

Last edited:

phillip9698

I keep getting told that the price increases were a way for Disney to thin the herd a bit and keep park attendance at a comfortable level, but once park attendance drops a bit so that people dont need a fast pass to get on a ride in less than an hour they start panicking and cutting staff thereby increasing wait times for EVERYTHING. So whats the deal?

SteamboatJoe

I keep getting told that the price increases were a way for Disney to thin the herd a bit and keep park attendance at a comfortable level, but once park attendance drops a bit so that people dont need a fast pass to get on a ride in less than an hour they start panicking and cutting staff thereby increasing wait times for EVERYTHING. So whats the deal?
I fear the deal is more concern over the numbers for the next quarter than the quality and long term health of the parks. We get it, it's a business. But once upon a time, this business was able to offer quality and still make money.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
i'll vouch, fwiw -
jorge's a good man

now, they don't say 'disney' ...but they work just the same

You do get one of my specialty jailbroken magic bands as well. We have many designs (Dr. Who, iCarly, Star Trek, Kroger, Fast and Furious, CVS, University of Idaho etc.) that aren't offered by Disney. You really need one if you want all your fastpasses to work. I also guarantee same day dining reservations at the sit down of your choice, provided that its Yak and Yeti.

Wendy Pleakley

This is something people have been saying forever as well, and I'm pretty sure it's largely a myth.

It's something people have been saying about Disneyland in particular, that the annual passes will see changes in price and conditions to reduce the crowds.

There is a little bit of truth to it. In recent years Disneyland saw certain passes not be sold for a period, and block out dates for Star Wars next year have come into play.

Generally however, Disney wants their parks to be packed.

As guests, we like smaller crowds. As a business, Disney wants more people. And who can blame them, for all the complaints about crowds, it hasn't deterred people from visiting.

As the saying goes, "Disneyland, no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded".

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Yeah, but to those who are coming, and paid full price for their tickets and rooms, and are expecting an appropriate experience for their money, it's a slap in the face to get to WDW and find out they'll be waiting an hour to check in, waiting an hour for a bus, waiting an hour to get through security, and then waiting an hour -- per ride -- to ride anything... all because the executives need to protect their bonus checks.

I think Yoda once said:

“Price increases lead to anger, anger leads to not wanting to go, not wanting to go leads to budget cuts, budget cuts leads to Price Increases. Much mismanagement there is.”

Ponderer

This is really interesting and potentially not a good sign for Disney. I complained a page or so back about how much the cost of flying impacts my travel budget but it seems that was not the case this summer for many.

Possibly, but more relevant - is there a similar slowdown at the other parks? Booming summer US travel does not rule out some other issue. Is there a drop-off from foreign visitors?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Seems to jive with what we’ve been tracking the last year or two...and more proof that those great revenue sources touted are being taken from one overworked well...

Queue that annual pass discount...which is more tricky this time

Princess Leia

You do get one of my specialty jailbroken magic bands as well. We have many designs (Dr. Who, iCarly, Star Trek, Kroger, Fast and Furious, CVS, University of Idaho etc.) that aren't offered by Disney. You really need one if you want all your fastpasses to work. I also guarantee same day dining reservations at the sit down of your choice, provided that its Yak and Yeti.
You have really been on a roll this week

JohnD

Word from inside the park is that there are signs of some significant slowdown in attendance this month.

Alarm bells are beginning to sound, with various areas being asked to trim back labor and begin cost saving measures.

For those of you who may not be regular readers, this isn't entirely new, and has occurred several times over the last couple of years.

People may be putting off fall trips for a year to wait for the opening of SW:GE. So there could be some more drop off than usual this year because of that.

Another thought: Anyone planning on driving down right about now may be cancelling because of the hurricane. The route right down I-95 goes right through the forecasted track in NC. But that would be for this week. Who knows the status of the roads next week after the hurricane blows through.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

But can I earn KrogerPlus points by using it... That could be a game changer...

Seriously, though - count me in the boat of regular attendees who are on a hiatus because of the cost, crowds, staffing, etc. I used to have an AP and make 4-5 trips a year. I don't plan to return until 2020 at the earliest. I just can't justify the cost given that the increase in experience hasn't really followed. As people say, "they will keep coming." And, I agree. But, the response I'm getting from the vast majority of friends is very lukewarm. It was a one-time trip they had to do for the kids. Everyone is hoping they don't have to do it again for a long time.

As always, time will tell...

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

Seriously, though - count me in the boat of regular attendees who are on a hiatus because of the cost, crowds, staffing, etc. I used to have an AP and make 4-5 trips a year. I don't plan to return until 2020 at the earliest. I just can't justify the cost given that the increase in experience hasn't really followed. As people say, "they will keep coming." And, I agree. But, the response I'm getting from the vast majority of friends is very lukewarm. It was a one-time trip they had to do for the kids. Everyone is hoping they don't have to do it again for a long time.

It's hard to justify paying a lot more for the same..or lower quality. Especially when you're a local and you can do a nearly incalculable number of other things using the money you'd spend on passes.

JohnD

I'm going twice this year. Already went in the Spring and planning on a December trip because haven't been during the holidays in a while. Maybe not at all next year, mostly because of crowds at SW:GE. I'll have to wait-and-see.

disneyflush

People who visit a lot like to use their own special tricks and tips to personalize their trip and historically find a small bit of value in the vast expanse of a WDW vacation. Finding value there in certain meals, drinks, snacks, experiences, etc., used to be a rewarding bit of happiness. Disney has taken a military-level approach to seeking any guest saving opportunities or hidden values and eliminated them at every level. People find their own happy places in a wide variety of things. Maybe a $3 Dole whip a few years ago was enough of a smile-maker to get a vacation planned around it. Disney has eliminated almost all of the old ways to wring value out of a vacation. Seek and destroy. That along with the complete over-estimation of the price value of the 'Disney Difference' has set the place on a course littered with missed expectations and angry guests. The 'Disney Difference' of 10 years ago, 20 years ago has been filtered so heavily that it is nearly unrecognizable. Free resort parking? Long operation hours for the entrance price? Unique merchandise? All-in-one pricing? These things mattered. Some spouses need selling points to get their significant other to agree to a future trip. Most of these are gone and replaced by rebuttal points in defense of not going and getting attached to the money vacuum again. Its a long march back to lower crowds year-round but most of these things combined with what price hikes will be coming with SW:GE will keep pushing the numbers farther down.

MuteSuperstar

Seriously, though - count me in the boat of regular attendees who are on a hiatus because of the cost, crowds, staffing, etc.

Same here, coming up on 4 years soon. And Star Wars at this point isn't really sweetening the pot, probably closer to poisoning it for me. As desperate as HWS is for attractions, I don't think it's anywhere close to enough and will make the place pretty unpleasant for at least a year or two.

ColdSarsaparilla

People who visit a lot like to use their own special tricks and tips to personalize their trip and historically find a small bit of value in the vast expanse of a WDW vacation. Finding value there in certain meals, drinks, snacks, experiences, etc., used to be a rewarding bit of happiness. Disney has taken a military-level approach to seeking any guest saving opportunities or hidden values and eliminated them at every level. People find their own happy places in a wide variety of things. Maybe a $3 Dole whip a few years ago was enough of a smile-maker to get a vacation planned around it. Disney has eliminated almost all of the old ways to wring value out of a vacation. Seek and destroy. That along with the complete over-estimation of the price value of the 'Disney Difference' has set the place on a course littered with missed expectations and angry guests. The 'Disney Difference' of 10 years ago, 20 years ago has been filtered so heavily that it is nearly unrecognizable. Free resort parking? Long operation hours for the entrance price? Unique merchandise? All-in-one pricing? These things mattered. Some spouses need selling points to get their significant other to agree to a future trip. Most of these are gone and replaced by rebuttal points in defense of not going and getting attached to the money vacuum again. Its a long march back to lower crowds year-round but most of these things combined with what price hikes will be coming with SW:GE will keep pushing the numbers farther down.

Very well said and oh so true...

Little things matter. The feeling that you are receiving a value, however small, whether real or imagined, matters.

And upfront pricing, simplicity and ease of use are universally appealing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom