News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Phroobar

Sleeping Beauty. C'mon, soldier!!! (That's okay, Walt called it Snow White's castle).
True. My mistake. I meant Sleeping Beauty.

giphy.gif

mickEblu

I don't mean to say DCA should be non-family oriented, but it's okay for it to cater more toward older kids and up. It will never equal DL at what DL does best, so it shouldn't try. It can still be diverse and family-friendly while offering a bit more thrill (and I certainly wouldn't mind some less expensive family flat rides (NOT "kiddie" rides adults can't take part in) sprinkled around to give families with smaller kids something to do.

And also--I'm sorry, but--the CA theme doesn't matter. The public doesn't care. No one goes to DCA for the California theming. No one. People go for RSR, Soarin' and Screamin. Put Zootopia in DCA. Put Wreck it Ralph in DCA. I don't mind DCA being an IP adventure park (just, for cryin' out loud, do better than Pixar Pier) and let DL keep its original "Lands" identity.

I agree with the your first paragraph. Not sure about the second one. I don’t mind the park still being called California Adventure because it still works and I also don’t mind IP when it’s well done and makes sense. 2012-2015 is still the best DCA we ve seen but I’m not so sure it’s because the California theming was watered down even more or the attractions that replaced Soarin over California and Tower or Terror are inferior. Probably a bit of both but for me it’s primarily the latter. But it’s not like I walk into DCA and the sight of the Guardians tower ruins my day. It’s just that it’s a downgrade, ugly and doesn’t fit with the land at the moment. Interesting design choice too for something 20 stories tall and that can be seen from everywhere.

As far as it not fitting the theme of the park that doesn’t really bother me as much because you have examples of this in Like half of the other lands in the park, although none as jarring. In the end for me it’s that the attractions that were replaced are inferior as far as being themed experiences and making sense in their respective land / reinforcing story/theme in TOTs case. Not so much because it’s less California.

Last edited:

TragicMike

^^ Will it be or is something taller planned?
IIRC Mission Breakout is the tallest structure in both parks. Assuming the Avengers ride is going to be a roller-coaster I wouldn't see the need to have a building that tall even if they build it just for the aesthetics.

D

Deleted member 107043

Not every ride needs to be about California, they just need to be about the land they're in. TSMM no way fits the CA theme, but it fits the Paradise Pier theme. The CA theme of the park is no more limiting than Frontierland, Fantasyland, or Tomorrowland.

That's true, and while they have diligently tried to be authentic, Disney has never been pure in its presentation of those themes, especially with Frontierland and Tomorrowland. So, similarly, they can call it California Adventure, but include things like The Little Mermaid or a fictional desert town and it can still work.

I'm pretty old school when it comes to thematic integrity, but with that I recognize how loose Disney has been with its interpretations of historical themes and locales at Disneyland Park, so the same rules should apply at DCA. So yeah, it should matter to people, but in reality I don't think it matters as much as some wish it did.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuddenStorm

I recently got into a slightly drunken long winded discussion on reddit about the thematic integrity of DCA.

The other person insisted that DCA 2.0 is not a California themed park since it removed so much of the California theming present in 1.0.

I see the point- but if it isn't a California themed park, what is it? With most Disney parks, the name gives you an idea of what to expect. Animal Kingdom, Epcot, Magic Kingdom, DHS- but then, with DCA, some think that the name is not related to the theming of the park.

I do very much think that it's still a California themed park, it's just not themed well, at all.

But, I've been wrong before. If it isn't a California park, what is the park's overarching theme?

D

Deleted member 107043

But, I've been wrong before. If it isn't a California park, what is the park's overarching theme?

Good question. I think a better question might be what's the park's mission. Besides being a barely-California-themed revenue generator what is DCA's purpose?

As a so-called "working" movie studio MGM Studios Theme Park may have been the last Disney theme park with a tangible set of aspirational goals. Everything built since then, maybe with the exception of AK, seems to have been conceived around some flimsy concept with the sole purpose of driving hotel bookings and multi-day visits at an existing property or to push the Disney Parks & Resorts brand in a new market.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disneylover152

I feel like people go to Epcot and wonder what that name is and how it represents the park.

Also, when I was telling my mother, who didn't even know their were two parks in Disneyland, about our trip, I mentioned DCA and she thinks it means "a disney adventure in California", rather than you exploring the state of California, from watching the commercials and some videos.

D

Deleted member 107043

Also, when I was telling my mother, who didn't even know their were two parks in Disneyland, about our trip, I mentioned DCA and she thinks it means "a disney adventure in California", rather than you exploring the state of California, from watching the commercials and some videos.

She pretty much nailed it.

Where does your mom live? Is she on the west coast? I'm curious to know what kind of awareness there is about DCA among non-Disney fans outside of this region.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom