News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

D

Deleted member 107043

If they want midcentury architecture, it should be in Grizzly Peak. The theme of the land is a 1950's/60's national park and having a lodge restaurant styled in the architecture of the period would be nice imo.

Flo's is mid-century and makes for a great period diner. Hollywood Land would be another spot for something iconically mid-century, but it's possible that its days are numbered.

Tom Morrow

Just how much of a delusional fanboy do you have to be to see them overhaul what started out as a lazy, cheap park into a wonderful, cohesively themed, beautiful park... only do undo all of that only a few years later for the sake of cashing in in IPs and still defend the decision?

For the ticket price, I expect a premium experience. The Six Flags philosophy of merely slapping a brand on coasters and rides as an alternative to actual theming and storytelling is PRECISELY what Pixar Pier is.

Stevek

So I'm just going to say my piece here so that you guys can probably ignore it and continue shouting in this echo chamber you've built for yourselves.

You guys are seriously some of the most miserable, negative people I've ever seen (if your posts are to be believed). Like literally it seems all you guys do is constantly bemoan and rant about every little thing that Disney does to the parks. It's one thing if you don't care about certain rides or things Disney does, but when you then go on and on and on about these changes on an almost-daily basis (hi @TROR), it's kinda really obsessive.

Now about Pixar Pier, I'm old enough to remember when people thought Disney building a California-themed park in California was stupid. Fast forward to almost two decades later, suddenly everyone is mad because Disney is slowly chipping away at the California theme. The fact that some of you actually want Disney to go BACK to DCA 1.0 just tells me you're not satisfied with anything. I also remember when people complained that Disney California Adventure wasn't "Disney." So here they are incorporating some more Disney properties into the park and...big shock...you still have a problem with it. Again...never satisfied with anything.

But don't let me ruin your fun! Continue acting like you know what's good Imagineering and what isn't just because you go to the parks a lot, talk about them on a daily basis, read the books, and marathoned Roller Coaster Tycoon when you were a kid. I'll keep going to the parks with people who actually want to have fun and not be joyless shells not satisfied with anything.

--phantazmick25
Cool story bro. So how long have you worked for Disney?

BrianLo

Late to the party, figured this project was canned. The thematic direction is dumb (which we knew all the way back to D23). The aesthetic direction at least looks reasonable. Really it's just the name changes and forced Pixar on every attraction that's directionless. The Toy Story Carousel is ok, mostly on the background that it was already inappropriately IP'd.

Aesthetically it looks way better (unlike the far more divisive ToT), the paint jobs can all stay. A name change here and there and a better product is easily hiding underneath.

giphy.gif

vancee

People on here are saying the Carousel is going to be rethemed to Toy Story. Are you sure? There is an Incredibles logo on the side of the tent of the carousel.

Also Erin from DPB said:
8b100ea8d6b334fbdeda7b891687d3a3.png

She is working pretty late tonight.. 7:57 PM?!? Dang.

Erich

Anyone else notice the red tunnel around the last left hand turns and the break run for the “incredicoaster”, or the wave live thing coming from the launch section (where TSMM fastpass is).

The wave just looks added, but the red tunnel in the back looks purposeful...

Attachments

• 13186C67-E6FF-40EA-95F2-12273A675BA2.jpeg
    13186C67-E6FF-40EA-95F2-12273A675BA2.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 91

TP2000

I’m in Japan and I can smell this stink pile from over here!

I had high hopes for this after D23, but this just looks cheap and weird. I love MCM architecture, but the Screamin’ queue is pointless in the Pier environment. And four neighborhoods? A Ferris wheel with Mickey on the front and gondolas themed to Pixar characters?

I can’t help but think Lasseter is bringing jugs of his special juice to share at every creative and finance meeting he attends in Glendale and Anaheim. The only real explanation is that all the execs who approved this were drunk.

dweezil78

Anyone else notice the red tunnel around the last left hand turns and the break run for the “incredicoaster”, or the wave live thing coming from the launch section (where TSMM fastpass is).

The wave just looks added, but the red tunnel in the back looks purposeful...

The wave is the water that sprays up as you launch (it's there now) and the red tunnel you see, I believe, is just another coaster train.

dweezil78

Made a little before and after using the same angle on Google Maps. Honestly, the biggest changes here are the swapping of some blue to red (and some red to blue!) and changing out the Paradise Pier logo with Pixar Pier. I think a lot of people are getting hung up on the vibrant primary color artistic style of the drawing as it's done in the style of a lot of the Toy Story Land concept art. The surroundings are all still going to look the same and won't magically turn into kids refrigerator art. :) I think from the ground level, it's going to be pretty hard to tell the difference unless you were a really big fan of the old midway games.

XI6qDwp.jpg

Kiwiduck

I’m in Japan and I can smell this stink pile from over here!

I had high hopes for this after D23, but this just looks cheap and weird. I love MCM architecture, but the Screamin’ queue is pointless in the Pier environment. And four neighborhoods? A Ferris wheel with Mickey on the front and gondolas themed to Pixar characters?

I can’t help but think Lasseter is bringing jugs of his special juice to share at every creative and finance meeting he attends in Glendale and Anaheim. The only real explanation is that all the execs who approved this were drunk.
I too had high hopes but for me the Fun wheel with Mickey on the front and the Pixar themed gondolas is the pinnacle of stupidness. I can think of pixie dusted excuses for most things but that just confuses the hell out of me. If I was John Lasseter I would want my movies treated better than this confused mash up of mid century modern and victoriana and Pixar (except for Mickey). Ps/ now I have to agree with you that John Lassetter was drunk at D23 and also that he has been drunk every day since.

TROR

Honestly, the concept art looks like unicorn vomit, but dweezil's photoshop job does look better. I mean, I still think classic Paradise Pier will be the superior land in the long run, but having red tubes instead of blue will be a nice change (although, enclosing them is going to be a bad look from the outside imo).

Twilight_Roxas

Completely disagree for all the reasons mentioned by others here. The mid-century modern building for the coaster, while attractive by itself, is especially ill-suited for the theme. And why is Mickey still on the ferris wheel? None of it makes any sense.
Because Mickey's Fun Wheel is the icon of the park like Sleeping Beauty's Castle is the icon of Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom