News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Curious Constance

I stayed at Paradise Pier about 11 years ago exactly, and we liked it. But it was my first ever trip to Disneyland, and I knew absolutely nothing about the resort. And the prices were way more reasonable than they are today. I don't think my cheapness would allow me to ever spend the kind of money required to stay there today. The only way I would ever spend that kind of money on a room is if it was a true resort and was a vacation just to stay there. Certainly not the PP hotel.

George Lucas on a Bench

The low budget theming at the PP Hotel wouldn't be all that expensive to swap out for a basic Pixar characters-at-the-beach theme. With enough resources they could probably accomplish it all in a single weekend.

1145002PPlobbynew01.jpg

Paradise-Pier-Standard-Room-inside.jpg

The beach ball pillow is a bit much, but I like it. It's exactly the type of hotel/motel room that makes me feel comfortable. I also like the sun mirror. Does it look like an official Disney hotel? Heck no. It's in line with value resorts at WDW. That being said, the prices for this place are ridiculous.

drizgirl

The beach ball pillow is a bit much, but I like it. It's exactly the type of hotel/motel room that makes me feel comfortable. I also like the sun mirror. Does it look like an official Disney hotel? Heck no. It's in line with value resorts at WDW. That being said, the prices for this place are ridiculous.
I want to buy one of those beach ball pillows as surplus when they ditch them all for bland laminate floors and plain white bedding like they're doing at WDW.

Old Mouseketeer

I wonder what Paradise Pier Hotel will be called? Will it keep,it's name, become Pixar pier hotel, go back to being the Disneyland Pacific hotel or get a new name?

Personally I'd love it to be replaced entirely but I think that's a dream too far at the moment

Well, you have to remember both its history and the recent decision path for the DL Hotel. Here's a section of history from Wikipedia:

Tokyu Group built the 15-story Emerald of Anaheim in 1984. The hotel was renamed the Pan Pacific Hotel, Anaheim in 1989 when Tokyu consolidated its Emerald and Pan Pacific hotel brands. In December 1995, Disney purchased the hotel from Tokyu for a reported US$36 million and changed its name to Disneyland Pacific Hotel. As part of the 1998-2001 expansion of the Disneyland Resort, the hotel was re-branded as Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel to complement the themed land the hotel tower overlooks in the adjacent Disney California Adventure Park. The lobby and convention/banquet facilities have undergone several renovations since the re-branding, most notably in 2004 and 2005.​

So it was not designed as a Disney property, although I have heard it has the largest standard rooms compared to DLH (not sure about GCH). Disney was not able to prevent the height of the building because it was overlooking the parking lot. More recently there was a debate over whether to raze the three towers of DLH or renovate (obviously they chose the latter).

IMHO, demolishing the PPH is not out of the question, but I really don't see a clear or cohesive master plan for the DL Resort, as a whole. I would put my bets in the following order:
  1. Pixar Pier Hotel with varying degrees of renovation
  2. Stay as-is
  3. Demolish and replace.
YMMV.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Sidenote, looks like DCA isn't the only so-cal theme park interested in boardwalks.

In 2018, Six Flag will unveil a new ride that will "anchor a revamped Boardwalk section of the park, which will include new bumper cars and renovated attractions and food outlets."

Oh yeah, the ride also happens to be the world's tallest pendulum ride ever built.
:hungover::hungover::hungover:

0902_biz_sixflags-990x751.jpg

mickEblu

Sidenote, looks like DCA isn't the only so-cal theme park interested in boardwalks.

In 2018, Six Flag will unveil a new ride that will "anchor a revamped Boardwalk section of the park, which will include new bumper cars and renovated attractions and food outlets."

Oh yeah, the ride also happens to be the world's tallest pendulum ride ever built.
:hungover::hungover::hungover:

0902_biz_sixflags-990x751.jpg

I still crave thrill rides but the older I get I find myself not running to magic mountain. It's not that I'm scared of the rides, it's that my anxiety kicks in and I think Of things like "what if I have unknown weak blood vessel in my brain and get an aneurism from going on the ride."

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I still crave thrill rides but the older I get I find myself not running to magic mountain. It's not that I'm scared of the rides, it's that my anxiety kicks in and I think Of things like "what if I have unknown aneurism that will burst from going on the ride."
Yeah...nothing in me looks at that ride and thinks...I'll survive that in one piece, let alone actually enjoy myself.

mickEblu

Yeah...nothing in me looks at that ride and thinks...I'll survive that in one piece, let alone actually enjoy myself.

Ya they seem to be getting more extreme just for the sake of getting more extreme. A lot of times I don't think it really adds anymore to the thrill or fun of the ride. Like how the seats flip on X2? Unnecessary.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

I still crave thrill rides but the older I get I find myself not running to magic mountain. It's not that I'm scared of the rides, it's that my anxiety kicks in and I think Of things like "what if I have unknown weak blood vessel in my brain and get an aneurism from going on the ride."

Magic Mountain is gross. The best Six Flags parks are the most charming ones. And yes, charm is a thing that can be found at Six Flags. Many of them are basically like Knott's in that they're older parks featuring classic charming elements with big steel roller coasters and puke machines plopped in them. Unfortunately for Magic Mountain, it seems to be the worst of all the Six Flags parks I've seen. The place is a hot sweaty dump with a huge roster of roller coasters, the majority of which are headache-inducing anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom