News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Phroobar

Picture a night time set drive down the streets of 1940's Hollywood with AA celebrities of the era along the way. That's something I could get behind.
Except most Disney guests could never relate to it. They don't know who these people are. 1940's Hollywood is ancient history to everyone except those that love TCM. Maybe SSL was ahead of it's time with it's b-list actors? Maybe they should have added some reality tv "stars". To me the whole thing was creepy and insulting since I lived in those areas depicted.

George Lucas on a Bench

Monsters Inc. is a boring one-and-done. Superstar Limo was certainly making fun of Hollywood and that really adds to its charm. It stood out amid a sea of awkwardness and crappiness at DCA. It may be the attraction that defined the original park.

mickEblu

Monsters Inc. is a boring one-and-done. Superstar Limo was certainly making fun of Hollywood and that really adds to its charm. It stood out amid a sea of awkwardness and crappiness at DCA. It may be the attraction that defined the original park.

I think that would be Soarin

George Lucas on a Bench

Soarin' stood out in a different way from the original park in that it was most likely of higher quality than a giant orange peel. Superstar Limo embraced its crappiness and flaunted it. I can't argue it was an accurate reflection of DCA as a whole because the rest of the park seemed unconvinced it was bad. Superstar Limo didn't care. That's really charming.

Last edited:

Robbiem

I wonder what Paradise Pier Hotel will be called? Will it keep,it's name, become Pixar pier hotel, go back to being the Disneyland Pacific hotel or get a new name?

Personally I'd love it to be replaced entirely but I think that's a dream too far at the moment

mickEblu

Soarin' stood out in a different way from the original park in that it was most likely of higher quality than a giant orange peel. Superstar Limo embraced its crappiness and flaunted it. I can't argue it was an accurate reflection of DCA as a whole because the rest of the park seemed unconvinced it was bad. Superstar Limo didn't care. That's really charming.

In your last post you said Super star limo "stood out in a sea of crappiness." Superstar limo was part of the sea crappiness. Soarin stood out in a sea of crappiness.

D.Silentu

By design Disneyland was all about optimistic idealism, while DCA tried to emulate the laid back, yet, 'cooler than thou' atmosphere of California, which is more stereotypical than true. Superstar Limo makes more sense from that approach, but Disney doing a sarcastic and cynical anything, at that time, was jarring. Audiences who had years of familiarity with Disneyland couldn't wrap their heads around it and the designers probably should have foreseen that. I'm not saying that it's laudable, though it is worth remembering that the vehicles had screens, which was unique(and surprisingly underused in Monsters Inc.) and a nifty, if questionable, projected tattoo effect. That said, it probably was the attraction that defined original DCA, but not in the positive intended sense. Monsters quality is debatable, but it succeeds due to the subject being more palatable to the Disney crowd.

mickEblu

By design Disneyland was all about optimistic idealism, while DCA tried to emulate the laid back, yet, 'cooler than thou' atmosphere of California, which is more stereotypical than true.

So true. Like who is laid back other than retirees in Palm Springs or Malibu? I'm always on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Too much traffic and too many damn people here.

D

Deleted member 107043

So true. Like who is laid back other than retirees in Palm Springs or Malibu? I'm always on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Too much traffic and too many damn people here.

True, but measured against the hectic pace of east coast cities like Boston, New York and Philly, Orange County seems like Maui in comparison.

nevol

I wonder what Paradise Pier Hotel will be called? Will it keep,it's name, become Pixar pier hotel, go back to being the Disneyland Pacific hotel or get a new name?

Personally I'd love it to be replaced entirely but I think that's a dream too far at the moment

The exact same way they're retheming Paradise Pier; swap Paradise for Pixar.

Ismael Flores

The exact same way they're retheming Paradise Pier; swap Paradise for Pixar.
I really doubt they will mess with the hotel, seems like a much bigger expense since they would need to change quite a few signs I side and outside of the hotel plus whichever ones get affected by the name change in other areas of the resort.

Haven't noticed but are there any street signs that have the Paradise Pier hotel name on it?

D

Deleted member 107043

I really doubt they will mess with the hotel, seems like a much bigger expense since they would need to change quite a few signs I side and outside of the hotel plus whichever ones get affected by the name change in other areas of the resort.

Haven't noticed but are there any street signs that have the Paradise Pier hotel name on it?

The low budget theming at the PP Hotel wouldn't be all that expensive to swap out for a basic Pixar characters-at-the-beach theme. With enough resources they could probably accomplish it all in a single weekend.

1145002PPlobbynew01.jpg

Paradise-Pier-Standard-Room-inside.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom