News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Phroobar

On a totally unrelated topic, could the emojis be any more annoying than the ones they have here?
How's this?

NGLb3.gif
Banana2.gif~c200
Banana2.gif~c200
Banana2.gif~c200
Banana2.gif~c200

brb1006

No single thing in the Disney universe perplexes me the way the popularity of this garbage 5-minute movie does.

I think this is right on, but I'd also add that the parts of Up that people really loved -- the heartstring-tugging opening up through the actual flight -- don't really align with the jungle parts. Personally I find the pacing of that movie all off mostly because I went from massively invested to bored out of my skull once he landed in the jungle.

I would probably go for beer pong vs. Buzz Lightyear, to be honest, but I think this part of the park 100% needs an adult escape, and any steps away from that would be a major letdown for me.

In fairness, the Orlando facade is miles better than that corniness, as imperfect as it is. I've always found it interesting that Orlando and Paris versions were built close to simultaneously, and the preshow with the band was clearly filmed at the same time. Always wondered what the rationale was. Did WDI always plan to have two versions, one a plussed-up Superstar Limo and one just a coaster in disco lights, and told the band that when filming preshows? Were they just unsure which direction the ride would go until the last minute? It's really weird because I've never been able to figure out what reason there is to have two different versions.

Really curious what the long term plan is with TRON going in just in time for WDW Space to celebrate 50 years. I still think the Orlando Space is far and away the best, at least the 90s version. After years of shoddy maintenance and a pointless queue refurb, who knows, and it'll be fully redundant with tomorrowland Tron next door. But that's another forum!
It's Tough To Be a Bug is more popular in WDW's at Animal Kingdom and more liked over there compared to DCA.

brb1006

I do remember that, but even then it felt way more like a cheap (even by DCA 1.0 standards) copy-paste from WDW to fill space in a dead land more than a spirited tribute to California. I'm sorry, I just hate the hell out of that movie.

Fair enough on the car culture thing -- the more important aspect to me is that the design of the whole thing was sufficiently Route-66-through-SoCal (obviously not uniquely SoCal), which may be why I give it more of a pass than other IP intrusions. I have no recollection of Radiator Springs being in Arizona in the films, which also helps. Comic Con is even more of a stretch California-wise, but also the most brilliant possible setup for Marvel Land that I've heard yet.
I'd never seen a person hate that show until now.

George Lucas on a Bench

A Bug's Life 3D was cheaply shoehorned into DCA just as Muppet*Vision 3D was. It's easy to forget it's even there. I'm not even sure if it is still there. I don't like shows where they fart on you or shame you for killing bugs. Have they never seen Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? I've also never understood the scale in this thing. When did we become the size of the bugs? Dumb. Don't get me started on the WDW version being inside the Tree of Life itself.

Phroobar

A Bug's Life 3D was cheaply shoehorned into DCA just as Muppet*Vision 3D was. It's easy to forget it's even there. ... I've also never understood the scale in this thing. When did we become the size of the bugs? Dumb. .
You never looked at your surroundings when entering the Bug's Life Theater? You start out above ground in a farm. As you walk you slowly get smaller and go underground. The tree you are circling is getting bigger and bigger. As you go under ground, the pebbles become the size of boulders. You have mushrooms growing on the walls. The Bug's Life Theater and queue are some of the best examples of theming in the original opening day DCA 1.0. The whole thing is completely charming. Neither show was shoehorned in. They were both showcased at the preview center before DCA opened.

brb1006

A Bug's Life 3D was cheaply shoehorned into DCA just as Muppet*Vision 3D was. It's easy to forget it's even there. I'm not even sure if it is still there. I don't like shows where they fart on you or shame you for killing bugs. Have they never seen Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? I've also never understood the scale in this thing. When did we become the size of the bugs? Dumb. Don't get me started on the WDW version being inside the Tree of Life itself.
It actually fits better at AK compared to DCA.

No Name

Superstar Limo was riddled with bad cheapness and obvious flaws, but overall I liked the concept. I liked the vibe. Unfortunately, many continue to think that more studio IPs have resulted in higher quality, which is not true. The two are unrelated, and simply came along together. I think a better version of Superstar Limo would've been more a success than the monsters ride, nevermind a better fit.

The fact that DCA was built cheap has really led to a lot of today's corporate malfeasance, especially this Pixar Pier thing.

TROR

Picture a night time set drive down the streets of 1940's Hollywood with AA celebrities of the era along the way. That's something I could get behind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom