News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

mickEblu

Of course they do. It all does. Summer of Heroes, Halloweentime, the Food & Wine Festival, and other seasonal promotions, along with milestone Anniversary celebrations, the return of the Electrical Parade, IP overlays, periodic upgrades to old favorites and so on exist primarily to keep conversations about Disney Parks buzzing in the media and to give customers a reason to come back throughout the year. When you purchase an annual pass and visit repeatedly you are signalling to Disney that you approve of the way it's operating its theme park business.

I didn't say it has nothing to do with it. I said it has little to do with it. I don't think Halloween time, a GOTG overlay or Jack Skeington has much to do with a family who renews their APs because they love Disneyland and want a place to take their kids. Of course it all adds to the laundry list of reasons why one would renew an AP but I just think it's further down the list. I think everything you listed are reasons why APs might visit more often or why they may spend more on merchandise but not necessarily why they are renewing.

JoFu

This is pretty much how A-E coupons worked. Each ticket had a monetary value encouraging guests to be more thoughtful about the experiences they chose. I believe when the system was discontinued an E ticket cost 85 cents. Can you imagine people today shelling out 85 cents each time they rode Space Mountain? Of course park admission was a lot less back then.

On a side note because each ride ticket had a price they were far more efficient in distributing guests to attractions across the park compared to the current POP system.

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 107043

I think everything you listed are reasons why APs might visit more often or why they may spend more on merchandise but not necessarily why they are renewing.

Well of course, but isn't there percieved value in being able to experience all of that practically whenever you choose plus exclusive special perks all on top of the baseline "magic" that DLR has to offer?

mickEblu

Well of course, but isn't there percieved value in being able to experience all of that practically whenever you choose plus exclusive special perks all on top of the baseline "magic" that DLR has to offer?

For sure. That's what I was trying to say by they add to the laundry list of reasons. In your original post on the subject you made it sound like they are the main reason why an AP may renew.

Professortango1

Why am I seemingly the only one who doesn't like The Nightmare Before Christmas and can not for the life of me understand what it has to do with New Orleans Square, Disney's most charming land? I feel like I'm in a Twilight Zone episode. Why not put a giant Flubber in the middle of Adventureland while we're at it?

Not sure why you don't like it, its a beloved film. As for ties to New Orleans Square, it started with the store La Baton Rogue that sold spooky merch. Then NBC blew up and it included NBC merch. Then the idea of Jack taking over a spooky attraction was tossed in and surprisingly, the layover was phenomenal and a huge crowd pleaser. The rest is history.

D

Deleted member 107043

In your original post on the subject you made it sound like they are the main reason why an AP may renew.

The point I've been making is, regardless of the motivation for purchasing, any person who buys an AP and uses it repeatedly is a customer who is telling Disney that they support the way the company is operating the parks. We can't just blame the Bobs for continuing the evolution of P&R into a distribution channel for IP when the bottom line indicates that most customers apparently love it.

mickEblu

The point I've been making is, regardless of the motivation for purchasing, any person who buys an AP and uses it repeatedly is a customer who is telling Disney that they support the way the company is operating the parks. We can't just blame the Bobs for continuing the evolution of P&R into a distribution channel for IP when the bottom line indicates that most customers apparently love it.

Eh I dunno. That's a stretch. Just because I go to the Cheesecake Factory often it doesn't mean I like all their food.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Not sure why you don't like it, its a beloved film. As for ties to New Orleans Square, it started with the store La Baton Rogue that sold spooky merch. Then NBC blew up and it included NBC merch. Then the idea of Jack taking over a spooky attraction was tossed in and surprisingly, the layover was phenomenal and a huge crowd pleaser. The rest is history.

Popular movies don't automatically mean they're of good quality and everyone should like them.

George Lucas on a Bench

It reminds me of Transformers. It began as a series of toys for children and became a series of awful movies for, I guess, everyone except me. It has the box office and merchandise sales going for it. For the life of me, I can't figure out what people see in it. I can't make it through 5 minutes of the movies without feeling embarrassed for mankind. Has a ride at Universal Studios, of course.

Old Mouseketeer

Me either!

I keep wanting to not like him because he seems like he's an "Either you agree with me or you're an idiot" kind of a guy. I also can't stand how everyone on MiceChat treats him like he's the second coming and can't form an opinion without Dusty giving his first. Then there is his name to consider.

But then I watch his live videos, and he seems like a pretty good guy.

I'm so confused. *tears*

No matter how much he loves Disney, DustySage is first and foremost an entrepreneur and is busting his hump to expand the profitability of his businesses. I respect the diligence and discipline he has committed to this, but always remember he is looking out for number one. And don't plan on fitting in at MiceChat unless you are willing to kiss [not "kill"] the royal...ring.

Last edited:

mickEblu

All it means is that we are still enjoying the parks and the good still outweighs the bad. It says absolutely nothing about my approval or disapproval of how the parks are being run. If they do assume that by my AP renewal then that is a gross assumption on their part.

Anyway, if for example, Disney came out tomorrow and said they were permanently overlaying POTC, HM and Splash to some BS I would not be renewing my AP. So as of right now, the good still outweighs the bad. That doesn't mean I agree with how things are being run now. They can't ruin things overnight... I think.

Rich T

Nightmare Before Christmas is a wonderful--and wonderfully hand-crafted--work of art. It's got a few too many ballads for my taste, but I do love the art direction and imaginative cast of characters.

I think it should have its own permanent attraction in an expanded Fantasyland. It's definitely worn out its welcome at HM for me, but what can we expect Disney to do when APs and the general public keeps lining up in droves to see the overlay? Oooooh, let's see what the gingerbread house in the ballroom looks like this time! Blog headlines!

George Lucas on a Bench

I've seen the movie. The overlay isn't really representative of much of it. Maybe the weirder Christmas scenes at the end where it completely falls apart for me (indeed, it's a Christmas theme, NOT Halloween and NOT both--you can't have both--it's the last half hour of the movie dumped into HM), but the earlier scenes are more Mansion and Halloween-like. Still, the style of animation doesn't ft the realistic setting of HM. It's awful.

Rich T

Eh I dunno. That's a stretch. Just because I go to the Cheesecake Factory often it doesn't mean I like all their food.
Yeah, but you do go often. Your actions are telling them they're on the right track. Corporations deal in broad strokes. The point enough people stop going is the point at which the ocean liner decides it's maybe time to change course. The happy exception is when a company is run by an individual with a creative vision who actually cares about the details and the art of it all.

mickEblu

Yeah, but you do go often. Your actions are telling them they're on the right track. Corporations deal in broad strokes. The point enough people stop going is the point at which the ocean liner decides it's maybe time to change course. The happy exception is when a company is run by an individual with a creative vision who actually cares about the details and the art of it all.

Then that is a huge assumption on their part and they are not collecting the right data or asking the right questions. And if they keep going in the current direction it will come to a point where I don't renew. But it doesn't mean we re there yet.

D

Deleted member 107043

All it means is that we are still enjoying the parks and the good still outweighs the bad. It says absolutely nothing about my approval or disapproval of how the parks are being run. If they do assume that by my AP renewal then that is a gross assumption on their part.

Maybe so, but what else could they assume?

And if they keep going in the current direction it will come to a point where I don't renew. But it doesn't mean we re there yet.

Serious question, what red line does the company have to cross before you slow down on your Disney Park mania?

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom