News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

mickEblu

Make no mistake, this was the goal of Mission Breakout. Bob Chapek, before running parks and resorts, was the head of merchandise. While Mission Breakout as an attraction is a failure, it gives an excuse to sell more GotG merch. Why they couldn't have filled up shops in Tomorrowland with it, who knows.

And to this I would add nobody ever bought TOT merch because most of it sucked. If they had put half the effort they put into HM merch it would have sold.

D

Deleted member 107043

Make no mistake, this was the goal of Mission Breakout. Bob Chapek, before running parks and resorts, was the head of merchandise. While Mission Breakout as an attraction is a failure, it gives an excuse to sell more GotG merch. Why they couldn't have filled up shops in Tomorrowland with it, who knows.

This all started decades ago before Chapek came to Disney Parks. He's just following the business path laid out when he arrived and adding his own spin to it

At this point we should be far more surprised when they greenlight a major project like the ROA refresh without giving it a Disney Studio IP overlay. Maybe there is some truth to the speculation that IP is one way Disney offsets cost in this post-corporate sponsorship landscape that the parks operate in today.

All of this is to say that the cynic in me concluded long ago that for TWDCo the primary function of Parks & Resorts is to drive Disney branded IP in one form or another. This is evident by the gradual and steady creep of character brands everywhere over the years. It's this belief that probably explains why I'm not cringing over the Pixar Pier news, and in retrospect I'm a bit surprised that it took them this long to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TROR

This all started decades ago before Chapek came to Disney Parks. He's just following the business path laid out when he arrived and adding his own spin to it

At this point we should be far more surprised when they greenlight a major project like the ROA refresh without giving it a Disney Studio IP overlay. Maybe there is some truth to the speculation that IP is one way Disney offsets cost in this post-corporate sponsorship landscape that the parks operate in today.

All of this is to say that the cynic in me concluded long ago that for TWDCo the primary function of Parks & Resorts is to drive Disney branded IP in one form or another. This is evident by the gradual and steady creep of character brands everywhere over the years. It's this belief that probably explains why I'm not cringing over the Pixar Pier news, and in retrospect I'm a bit surprised that it took them this long to do it.
Difference is that the Rivers of America redo, just like Grizzly Airfield and Galaxy's Edge, were greenlit under the Tom Staggs' management. While the synergy thing has been a problem for a while, Chapek has amplified it to nauseating levels.

The_Mesh_Hatter

Did someone mention horrible Haunted Mansion merchandise?

DSC_0184-X2.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

Difference is that the Rivers of America redo, just like Grizzly Airfield and Galaxy's Edge, were greenlit under the Tom Staggs' management. While the synergy thing has been a problem for a while, Chapek has amplified it to nauseating levels.

Like any good corporate excecutive Chapek is following the money. Anyone in that position would push Disney IP just as hard because it had proven to be a successful strategy for Disney's bottom line under previous leadership. I dislike the strategy as much as you do, but apparently Disney's customers can't seem to get enough of it.

George Lucas on a Bench

Did someone mention horrible Haunted Mansion merchandise?

DSC_0184-X2.jpg

Why am I seemingly the only one who doesn't like The Nightmare Before Christmas and can not for the life of me understand what it has to do with New Orleans Square, Disney's most charming land? I feel like I'm in a Twilight Zone episode. Why not put a giant Flubber in the middle of Adventureland while we're at it?

D

Deleted member 107043

I have to imagine that's an accurate representation of Bob's face too.

And the Board, park management, the stockholders, the Studio heads, and anyone else who benefits from the success of their strategy. It's easy to villainize the Bobs, but everyone who has some kind of invested interest in a Disney park, including APs who flock to them in droves, are responsible.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

And the Board, park management, the stockholders, the Studio heads, and anyone else who benefits from the success of their strategy. It's easy to villainize the Bobs, but everyone who has some kind of invested interest in a Disney park, including APs who flock to them in droves, are responsible.
I wish there was a logical way for me to enjoy the parts of Disneyland I love, and subsequently not support the areas I don't. But then again, I am just one drop of water in the Rivers of America.

D

Deleted member 107043

I wish there was a logical way for me to enjoy the parts of Disneyland I love, and subsequently not support the areas I don't.

Me too! I remember thinking exactly this when they installed the Pixie Hollow meet and greet on Matterhorn Way behind Buzz Lightyear. Ugh do not get me started on how much I hate the way that Disney pimps out its characters in the parks and how people eat it up.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Me too! I remember thinking exactly this when they installed the Tinkerbell & Friends meet and greet on Matterhorn Way behind Buzz Lightyear. Ugh do not get me started on how much I hate the way that Disney pimps out its characters in the parks and how people eat it up.
And as long as people eat it up, which, let's be honest...they will, Disney will not stop.

D

Deleted member 107043

I think overlays have very little to do with AP renewals. I

Of course they do. It all does. Summer of Heroes, Halloweentime, the Food & Wine Festival, and other seasonal promotions, along with milestone Anniversary celebrations, the return of the Electrical Parade, IP overlays, periodic upgrades to old favorites and so on exist primarily to keep conversations about Disney Parks buzzing in the media and to give customers a reason to come back throughout the year. When you purchase an annual pass and visit repeatedly you are signalling to Disney that you approve of the way it's operating its theme park business.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Of course they do. It all does. Summer of Heroes, Halloweentime, the Food & Wine Festival, and other seasonal promotions, along with milestone Anniversary celebrations, the return of the Electrical Parade, IP overlays, periodic upgrades to old favorites and so on exist primarily to keep conversations about Disney Parks buzzing in the media and to give customers a reason to come back throughout the year. When you purchase an annual pass and visit repeatedly you are signalling to Disney that you approve of the way its operating its theme park business.
Totally agree with you...and again, I wish I could fill out a survey saying, "These are the reasons I will use my annual pass, and here are the reasons I won't". Would be interesting for them to cull that data, rather than just assume everyone buying an AP is 100% on board with 100% of Disney.

NobodyElse

I wish there was a logical way for me to enjoy the parts of Disneyland I love, and subsequently not support the areas I don't.

Perhaps they could lower the price of park admission, then charge individually for the rides and attractions. They could even assign relative value, at a number of levels. That way you would only pay for the parts you enjoy. If enough people think like you and stop paying for the less enjoyable elements, Disney would get the message.

;)

Phroobar

Perhaps they could lower the price of park admission, then charge individually for the rides and attractions. They could even assign relative value, at a number of levels. That way you would only pay for the parts you enjoy. If enough people think like you and stop paying for the less enjoyable elements, Disney would get the message.

;)
Unfortunately, the price of park admission will go nothing but up. Also MaxPass will ensure we are paying for individual rides and attractions.

D

Deleted member 107043

This is pretty much how A-E coupons worked. Each ticket had a monetary value encouraging guests to be more thoughtful about the experiences they chose. I believe when the system was discontinued an E ticket cost 85 cents. Can you imagine people today shelling out 85 cents each time they rode Space Mountain? Of course park admission was a lot less back then.

On a side note because each ride ticket had a price they were far more efficient in distributing guests to attractions across the park compared to the current POP system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom