News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

FerretAfros

I'm struggling to work up any emotion over the removal of Mickey for another corporate logo. Neither have any real relevance to the architecture of the area, nor do they enhance the ride experience. It's just corporate branding for the sake of corporate branding. The easy swap out just highlights how lazy WDI has gotten with this area, where there still isn't really any sense of place.

Passport to Dreams did a great post about this issue not too long ago, and, although it's somewhat long (and WDW-focused), it's definitely worth checking out
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2017/04/making-it-disney.html
The basic crux of the argument certainly applies in this case:
Disney may own the imagery, but ownership does not always guarantee mastery. Just as Fantasyland has become an overkill of castles, Disney has a bad habit of slapping Mickey Mouse on everything as a first attempt to repair problematic design. Like the phalanx of cutout Mickey heads added to the Transportation and Ticket Center attempting to disguise a building that's just begging for demolition:

To the Grand Canyon Concourse in the Contemporary, an expensive resort Disney has trouble selling rooms in. If people don't like it, it must not be Disney enough, and what's more Disney than a colossal Mickey head?

I can't think of a single situation where the "slap a Mickey on it" approach actually works, and so much of Walt Disney World has been allowed to fall behind the curve of fashion , that there's a lot of it now. But between the extremes of "not Disney enough" and "giant sheet metal ears", there has to be a middle ground, and it's a middle ground that Imagineering has been groping towards for the past 30 years.

Which brings us to Mickey's Fun Wheel. When DCA was getting redone they needed to make it more "Disney", so they just slapped a Mickey head on the side of it.
Early-Morning-Fun.jpg

It has no relation to anything around it, it's just a giant Mickey head floating in space on the side of a ferris wheel. It doesn't really fit with the purported era of its surroundings, it has nothing to do with the seaside setting, and the graphic design of it doesn't relate to anything else in the panorama. It also has no bearing on the actual ride experience; you can't even see it from the ride entrance, queue, or ride itself.

And now we're supposed to get bent out of shape that they're removing it in favor of another unrelated corporate icon? Meh, I just can't get too worked up over that.

Even the original concept of the sun fit better than what's there now (though the artistic execution was a little goofy), and tied in better with the recurring sun motif throughout the rest of the park (most of which was also removed during the redo). The circular face also fit the spot much better, centered on the sunburst design and echoing the wheel's overall shape, and the colors scheme lasted longer than the sun-faded tones we have now

For those wondering about merchandise, I'm sure they'll just come up with new logos to use; how many icons has the Studios in WDW had during its lifetime? If anything, this will could help them boost sales, with people wanting to get the old logos before they disappear forever, and others wanting the latest and greatest to update their collections. Perhaps this will give them an excuse to trim the foliage and restore Grizzly Peak to its rightful place of honor

Disneylover152

Please don't hate on this, I'm stating my opinion.

With the Marvel Expansion and Pixar Expansion, Disney California Adventure is still a park about California. "Pixar Pier" is still going to be a land celebrating the golden age of Californian Boardwalks and Seaside Amusement Piers. It's just going to have a Pixar theme. Now, I understand that it's not the greatest idea for a retheme of Paradise Pier (as they could of defiantly keep the design of it now, but add the look of the Toy Story Midway Mania facade throughout the whole pier), but it is still better than Paradise Pier 1.0.

The average park guest is not going to care if they ride California Screamin' or Dash's Screamin'. They are just going to care that its a thrilling coaster with a loop. They might slightly care, for example they might miss the soundtrack, but other than that, they will not care as much as us Disney fans do.

Anyway, most IP's they add in DCA do fit. Cars Land celebrates Route 66, the desserts, and car culture in California. It just has an IP. If they add a Wilderness Explorer's theme to Grizzly Peak (UP), it will still celebrate the golden age of National Parks in California. It just has an IP.

Pixar Pier is still going to be a land celebrating the golden age of Californian Boardwalks and Seaside Amusement Piers. It's just going to have a Pixar overlay. I understand that it is a cheap overlay, but again, the average park guest doesn't care if they ride Mickey's Fun Wheel of the Pixar Fun Wheel. They just care that they are riding a Ferris Wheel, and that their gondola is swinging.

Now lets look at the title of the park. Disney California Adventure. If it was called California Adventure, then IP's don't fit in that park. But it's called Disney California Adventure. That's almost like them saying, it's a park about a Californian Adventure, with a Disney theme.

During DCA 1.0, everyone was complaining that the park was cheap and not Disney enough. Now that they are putting money into the park and making it more Disney, everyone is still complaining.

It's like the Eastern Gateway project Disney is doing. Everyone is complaining that this bridge is going to hurt local businesses. It will affect their business, but it's not going to destroy their business. People will defiantly still stay in those hotels if they want to save a couple hundred a night. Those people will go to Panera for dinner on their way back to the hotel. Even with this new Eastern Gateway. And sorry to those restaurants, but Im pretty sure not that many people leave Disneyland or DCA to go to McDonalds for lunch. To the point, everyone is hating on Disney for this eastern gateway project, but then if Disney doesn't do this, everyone will be hating on Disney for the traffic nightmare it will cause, with people crossing the street AND cars are going. And god forbid people are crossing the street and their is some evil person who is disregarding the red light, and the people crossing, and decides to run over 50 people crossing the street on their way to Disneyland. It has happened recently.

Anyway, the point of that, is that Disney will never make everyone happy. They are a business. Just face it. They aren't the company they were when Walt was in charge in the 50s and 60s, just like humans aren't the same as we were in the 50s and 60s. Most of us don't go to Disneyland like everyday is Dapper Day. In 2017, when we go to Disneyland wear shorts and a t-shirt.

The times are different then they were in the 50s. Most guests want to go to a Disney park, and see the characters they love. They want to go to Disneyland and see The Incredibles, or Guardians of the Galaxy. The theme parks have to evolve with the state of the average park guests, not the avid Disney fans like us.

While I say that, I do agree that just redoing the facade, queue, and adding some screens in a ride (GotG:MB) is cheap, and would much rather have a new ride, but again, to the average park guest, Guardians of the Galaxy is an entirely new ride, not just an overlay of Tower of Terror.

Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to get my opinion out there.

TROR

During DCA 1.0, everyone was complaining that the park was cheap and not Disney enough. Now that they are putting money into the park and making it more Disney, everyone is still complaining.

Slapping on characters doesn't make something more or less Disney. It's quality that makes Disney what it is. When people complained how DCA 1.0 wasn't Disney enough, they meant it lacked characters, yes, but it was also a comment on how the park was not up to the Disney standard. And frankly, with these new changes, it's just as far as it ever was.

The times are different then they were in the 50s. Most guests want to go to a Disney park, and see the characters they love. They want to go to Disneyland and see The Incredibles, or Guardians of the Galaxy. The theme parks have to evolve with the state of the average park guests, not the avid Disney fans like us.

While I say that, I do agree that just redoing the facade, queue, and adding some screens in a ride (GotG:MB) is cheap, and would much rather have a new ride, but again, to the average park guest, Guardians of the Galaxy is an entirely new ride, not just an overlay of Tower of Terror.

Unfortunate but true. People don't want quality, they want things they're familiar with. It's why Marvel movies and Rogue One are so successful. There's no real effort put into them, just throwing things audiences are familiar with and they eat it up. Same thing being done to theme parks.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

You use the word evolving, and I would counter with the word pandering.

Disney loves to "grow" by pandering to the lowest common denominator of their fanbase. This action will only further alienate the avid fans. The people like myself that buy APs and spend a lot of time and money at the parks as opposed to Joe Familyman who may bring his family to Disney once every 5 years. Those are the guests who want to see Guardians of the Galaxy and Incredibles at Disney. Me? No thanks.

Your statements are indeed your own opinions and they're more than welcome here. But I just fear, 5 years from now, a Disneyland where absolutely nothing is held sacred (and yes I know, DL is "not a museum" blah blah) and whatever's hot at the box office is getting inserted willy-nilly all for the sake of the almighty profit margin.

Phroobar

I have a few ideas:
the "whatever Lasseter wants" park.
the "Bob Iger IP bandwagon fun factory" park.
the "we REALLY need to draw people away from Disneyland" park.
the "whatever the city council of Anaheim will let us get away with" park.

or my personal favorite...

the "throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks" park.
I still like the original name for the DCA: "Don't Come Again" park.

Curious Constance

Disney loves to "grow" by pandering to the lowest common denominator of their fanbase. This action will only further alienate the avid fans. The people like myself that buy APs and spend a lot of time and money at the parks as opposed to Joe Familyman who may bring his family to Disney once every 5 years. Those are the guests who want to see Guardians of the Galaxy and Incredibles at Disney. Me? No thanks.

Your statements are indeed your own opinions and they're more than welcome here. But I just fear, 5 years from now, a Disneyland where absolutely nothing is held sacred (and yes I know, DL is "not a museum" blah blah) and whatever's hot at the box office is getting inserted willy-nilly all for the sake of the almighty profit margin.

I'd be interested to know what percentage of the AP base would be included in that group that Disney panders to. It seems like a large portion of the AP base eat up the character stuff in the parks.

I would bet that the lowest common denominator is the majority of people that pass through the turnstiles. I think avid Disney fans are a minority, even among AP holders.

I can appreciate the predicament that Disney is in. They can't please everyone. But they don't get a pass either. They could certainly come a lot closer to pleasing everyone with a little more effort and money.

GiveMeTheMusic

And judging by the number of people who've shown up by uh, the dozens, to see the Guardians of the Galaxy, it's not the greatest strategy.

Antaundra

Don't conflate your pessimism with "avid Disney fandom" PLEASE!!! I've read at least as many books as you have about the history of Disney, I've watched at least as many documentaries about Disney history, and have been visiting Disneyland at least annually for the last 32 years. I supported the change to Mission Breakout, I'm excited for Pixar Pier, and think Galaxies Edge is as appropriate to Disneyland as New Orleans Square. That doesn't mean you're a more avid Disney fan than I am. It doesn't mean your more concerned with Walt's legacy than I am. It doesn't mean that I don't care about theme or integrity or don't "get" what Disney used to be. We are both avid Disney fans, we both care about the integrity and the legacy of Disney, both the man and and company. The difference between you and me is how we think the legacy should grow and be protected. All of this talk about avid Disney fans and lowest common denominators drives me absolutely crazy. All iterations of Walt Disney fandom are valid and all interpretations of how the legacy should grow and be protected are equal.

This post is not intended toward anyone in particular. I used a few phrases that were recently used in this thread but this post is toward anyone who uses this kind of divisive language including people like Dusty Sage.

TROR

Don't conflate your pessimism with "avid Disney fandom" PLEASE!!! I've read at least as many books as you have about the history of Disney, I've watched at least as many documentaries about Disney history, and have been visiting Disneyland at least annually for the last 32 years. I supported the change to Mission Breakout, I'm excited for Pixar Pier, and think Galaxies Edge is as appropriate to Disneyland as New Orleans Square. That doesn't mean you're a more avid Disney fan than I am. It doesn't mean your more concerned with Walt's legacy than I am. It doesn't mean that I don't care about theme or integrity or don't "get" what Disney used to be. We are both avid Disney fans, we both care about the integrity and the legacy of Disney, both the man and and company. The difference between you and me is how we think the legacy should grow and be protected. All of this talk about avid Disney fans and lowest common denominators drives me absolutely crazy. All iterations of Walt Disney fandom are valid and all interpretations of how the legacy should grow and be protected are equal.

This post is not intended toward anyone in particular. I used a few phrases that were recently used in this thread but this post is toward anyone who uses this kind of divisive language including people like Dusty Sage.

This. Some of us want to preserve what makes Disneyland so great, others just want to throw it away and start over.

GiveMeTheMusic

That's totally fine, but you can be an avid fan of Disney and its brands, but not necessarily an avid fan of themed entertainment and how it works. That seems to be where people seem to miss the distinctions. You can be an avid Walt fan til the day you die, but if you think Pixar Pier is a rad idea, then you're probably not an avid fan of themed entertainment and themed design. If you think Pixar Pier is a great idea, then you're a Pixar fan. And that's fine, no judgment, but that seems to be where you're hearing a miscommunication.

Antaundra

That's totally fine, but you can be an avid fan of Disney and its brands, but not necessarily an avid fan of themed entertainment and how it works. That seems to be where people seem to miss the distinctions. You can be an avid Walt fan til the day you die, but if you think Pixar Pier is a rad idea, then you're probably not an avid fan of themed entertainment and themed design. If you think Pixar Pier is a great idea, then you're a Pixar fan. And that's fine, no judgment, but that seems to be where you're hearing a miscommunication.
Paradise Pier was probably the worst land Disney ever built when DCA opened. Toy Story Midway Mania and the Victorian facades on the store fronts helped make the land feel like it belonged in a Disney park. I'm hopeful that this renovation finishes bringing the level of theming up to Disney park standards. If the company has to slap some Pixar logos on everything to justify the expense of finishing the theme of the Pier, so be it. I don't think it's a crutch to use Disney owned IP to justify the expense. Walt regularly used corporate sponsors to fund these kind of projects and in 2017 I'd much rather have Pixar Pier than Paradise Pier presented by Monsanto.

I understand theme parks and themed entertainment. A Pier theme in a park based on California was a horrible idea to begin with. When people think of California beaches they don't think of Boardwalk Piers. They think of surfing. Piers and Boardwalks are much more closely associated with east coast beaches. Ideally they would flatten the land and start over with something better, but that won't ever happen. So we're stuck with this awful boardwalk Pier theme and it needs to be improved. Pixar signage can't make it worse and if we can get the store interiors and the Screamin queue up to the very minimum level of theming of Midway Mania (which is a low bar) then Pixar Pier is a net positive for DCA.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

This. Some of us want to preserve what makes Disneyland so great, others just want to throw it away and start over.

Most things, even if universally liked, mean a ton more to some Disney fans than others. I think everyone wants to preserve what makes Disneyland great, but the problem is that is different for everyone. That's why I'm glad there's DCA- Disney can do all sorts of stuff there they couldn't get away with at Disneyland, hopefully satisfying a younger, less conditioned audience.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I'd be interested to know what percentage of the AP base would be included in that group that Disney panders to. It seems like a large portion of the AP base eat up the character stuff in the parks.

I would bet that the lowest common denominator is the majority of people that pass through the turnstiles. I think avid Disney fans are a minority, even among AP holders.

I can appreciate the predicament that Disney is in. They can't please everyone. But they don't get a pass either. They could certainly come a lot closer to pleasing everyone with a little more effort and money.
Fair points.

You have the APs that are local, just looking for an unwind after work or on the weekends. They probably don't care.
You have the APs that run YouTube channels/blogs that are just looking to up their viewership. They probably don't care.
You have the APs that are just genuine Disney fans with no real concerns over all the new changes. They probably don't care.

Disney also knows that even the most die-hard "non-IP" "avid fans" will still come to the parks regardless of whether or not they make Mission BreakOut times a thousand, or not. At the end of the day, Disney is Disney and they know it.

I can sit here until I'm blue in the face and say I will never set foot in Pixar Pier or ride CS ever again...but jokes on me really, since I WILL still continue to visit the parks and give Disney my money.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom