News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

mickEblu

I'm here at DCA now....and walking through here now, I'm looking around and guessing where the Pixarfication may hit.

It's easy to see things like the Golden Zepher being turned into a Buzz Lightyear rocket ship themed spinner, and Gooy's Sky School easily being turned into another Pixar themed overlay.

I hope they don't mess with Paradise Gardens....and turn it into a Pixar themed eatery.
Talk about totally spoiling a already nice spot...

-

FWIW, Micechat said the Pixar theming would stop just before SSS.

Ismael Flores

I'm here at DCA now....and walking through the Pier, I'm looking around and guessing where the Pixarfication may hit.

It's easy to see things like the Golden Zepher maybe being turned into a Buzz Lightyear rocket ship themed spinner, and perhaps Goofy's Sky School easily being turned into another Pixar themed overlay.

I hope they don't mess with Paradise Gardens....and turn it into a Pixar themed eatery, or character dining.

-
I thought that it was determined that Pixar Pier will only affect the area from the west helix to the actual entrance bridge of Paradise Pier.
The western side and northern side will remain as Paradise Bay

D

Deleted member 107043

I think the teacups and Dumbo get an extra pass because they're so old. Yes they are themed nicely, but if they were built today, I don't think they'd be as popular.

They both seem to be pretty popular at the newer parks like SDL and DLP, but that could be because they're both so iconic. It'd be hard to imagine a Disneyland without them.

D

Deleted member 107043

I've always considered Dumbo, Astro Orbiter, Flicks Flying Box thing, Triceratops Spin, Aladdin magic Carpets...things like that as spinners. Never considered the teacups, Lady Bug Boogie as spinners.
But heck, I'm no ride expert either.

They all spin so I've referred to them all as "spinners" up until today. I'll sound so enlightened and cultivated now when I discuss spinners with my friends.

Curious Constance

Sure, nostalgia plays a part. However, I think they would be just as popular if they opened today if they were executed with the same quality and based off of the popular IP of the time. I don't see any reason why Little kids wouldn't want to ride these rides or why parents would be less inclined to take their kids on them. They would still be non threatening flat rides that parents can take their little kids on. Albeit pretty, "well themed" ones.

As an adult, how excited can we get about flat rides? I haven't been to every theme park in the world but as far flat rides go, they are probably best in class.
Popular is the wrong word. Because you're right , kids are going to want to ride regardless. I guess a better phrase would have been "well regarded" among fans.

DLR92

Damn...Disney hit another low ball for me. Pixar Pier just sound embarrassing. I hope they don't redo the fun wheel, remove classic Disney reference to certain attractions in the area, only to possibly remove them for more pixar related stuff. I would find that just sad if that case.

D

Deleted member 107043

Can I ask a question? What difference does it make at this point if the Fun Wheel has Mickey, Woody, Buzz, Nemo, or whatever Disney character on it? It's still the same ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

TROR

Can ask a question? What difference does it make at this point if the Fun Wheel has Mickey, Woody, Buzz, Nemo, or whatever Disney character on it? It's still the same ride.

Well, for one, theme parks should change and grow, but they should not complete change every few years when there's nothing wrong with them. This would be the third face on the Fun Wheel and, honestly, why? People like the Mickey. It works well. It adds charm. Just no logical reason to change it which makes me automatically against it. Same with renaming California Screamin'.

DLR92

Can ask a question? What difference does it make at this point if the Fun Wheel has Mickey, Woody, Buzz, Nemo, or whatever Disney character on it? It's still the same ride.

Well, for one, theme parks should change and grow, but they should not complete change every few years when there's nothing wrong with them. This would be the third face on the Fun Wheel and, honestly, why? People like the Mickey. It works well. It adds charm. Just no logical reason to change it which makes me automatically against it. Same with renaming California Screamin'.

My assertion isn't just this. Why did Disney spend money on Paradise Pier to try to make the park feel more cohesive when this new idea just feel like a total backward move. WHY call it Pixar Pier when there are many other Pixar related attractions outside of the proposed new land!? Seem over redundant if you ask me.

D

Deleted member 107043

My assertion isn't just this. Why did Disney spend money on Paradise Pier to try to make the park feel more cohesive when this new idea just feel like a total backward move. WHY call it Pixar Pier when there are many other Pixar related attractions outside of the proposed new land!? Seem over redundant if you ask me.

This is all fair, but I guess I don't understand why such a relatively trivial thing matters so much to some people. Would *I* make altering the emblem on the Fun Wheel a priority if I were the head of P&R? Probably not, but as a Disney fan and infrequent visitor I don't see any harm in it.

TROR

This is all fair, but I guess I don't understand why such a relatively trivial thing matters so much to some people. Would *I* make altering the emblem on the Fun Wheel a priority if I were the head of P&R? Probably not, but as a Disney fan and infrequent visitor I don't see any harm in it.

At best, it's nothing and there's no reason for doing it. At worst, it looks bad and ruins the atmosphere that Mickey's face creates.

D

Deleted member 107043

At best, it's nothing and there's no reason for doing it. At worst, it looks bad and ruins the atmosphere that Mickey's face creates.

I remember there was a bit of a stir in some corners online when Mickey's face was added. Comments that described the addition as a creepy corporate icon peering down at guests, and so on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mickEblu

I think with a lot of changes, we can blow them out of proportion (GOTG excluded) because the forum allows us to do so. Meaning it offers us a place to express our opinions about Disney parks in a way that most of us can't do in our every day lives because very few people out there match our interest or passion for the parks. Not to say that I agree with Mickey being swapped out for the Pixar ball or whatever but when we re here I think most of us feel, even if subconsciously, that we can go hard! But really a lot of these things we complain about don't hold weight when you re really at the park walking around and have a million sights, smells and sounds competing for your attention. But here, we can fixate on a certain change without all of that stimuli.

With all of that said, I like Mickeys fun wheel as its very pleasant to look at. Although I think most of that has to do with the color scheme first and the classic looking Mickey second. I also think for some folks (including me to a certain extent) feel that is another example of a Disney park being "de-Disneyfied" for more Pixar, Marvel or Star Wars. For me personally that reason is way low down on the totem pole of reasons of why I wouldn't like this change. I feel that changing the Park icon is unnecessary especially for this lousy sounding overlay. It's just another example of Them Refusing to let DCA build any nostalgia. It's clear that Disney doesn't know what they want to do with DCA and it comes across as a park in constant flux with no identity.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom