News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

TROR

It's just another example of Them Refusing to let DCA build any nostalgia. It's clear that Disney doesn't know what they want to do with DCA and it comes across as a park in constant flux with no identity.

Which is, frankly, bizarre because Tom Staggs was doing an excellent job with DCA and really helped it grow into its own park that could be a good complement to Disneyland but instead, after only a few short years and despite overwhelming praise, it's become the IP dumping grounds for the resort.

mickEblu

...And now with all of that said does any of what I said really Hold Any weight when you re at the park? It's probably more something that is felt than something super obvious. Especially for casual fans/ guests. Most people get to the park, and run from E ticket to E ticket, dodging strollers, looking at their phones all while trying to maximize their day and never really taking the time to notice the small details. And TBH with the crowds and ticket prices, I'm not sure I can fault the casual guest. @Dr. Hans Reinhardt

mickEblu

Which is, frankly, bizarre because Tom Staggs was doing an excellent job with DCA and really helped it grow into its own park that could be a good complement to Disneyland but instead, after only a few short years and despite overwhelming praise, it's become the IP dumping grounds for the resort.

Yeah I feel like they were a Hollywoodland re-do, backlot fix/ new land and a people eating family friendly E ticket away from being a really great park. Now I'm just confused. Well not really TBH. It's a brand/ acquisition park with no identity other than "let's showcase all our brands here" and throw theme to the wind. And then oh ya, there is Grizzly Peak which "we" can't change because of the Grand Californian.

It's kind of like if Tomorrowland was it's own theme park.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

And now with all of that said does any of what I said really Hold Any weight when you re at the park?

This is what I was asking. No question that this is a topic that's fun to debate, but in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty trivial thing to get worked up about.

TROR

This is what I was asking. No question that this is a topic that's fun to debate, but in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty trivial thing to get worked up about.
But it's the trivial things that add up. Those little things that people don't notice and don't think about make all the difference, in my opinion. You can have Mickey's face or you can have nothing on the Fun Wheel. Nothing works, too, it's not bad without Mickey's face. No one would be angry if there was no face on the Fun Wheel except for hard core fans. But having Mickey's face elevates it.

mickEblu

I'm really asking. A part of me says the casual guest won't really care but another part of says there also has to be a balance between new and nostalgic so people can re-live their memories. At a Certain point they have to figure out an identity for DCA and stick to it.

mickEblu

I think if they were replacing Mickey for something better, I'd be fine. But swapping it out for another character just makes no sense. And yes, what about building nostalgia in DCA? Changing the park icon isn't a great way to do it.

Right. I think most us are ok with change. When they re good changes. But I haven't seen a whole lot of those going on. Grizzly Peak Airfield would be one exception.

Curious Constance

I'm really asking. A part of me says the casual guest won't really care but another part of says there also has to be a balance between new and nostalgic so people can re-live their memories. At a Certain point they have to figure out an identity for DCA and stick to it.
I agree. Not that it can't be upgraded along the way, and changed for additions, but stop the needless change that gains nothing but a sales ad.

My kids are already bummed by the changes they are making. And will there be great new experiences to offset the loss of nostalgia and identity? Nope.

mickEblu

One thing that really stuck out to me a few years ago I went to DCA with my uncle and his family. He is a casual a guest as they come and no theme park aficionado by an means and I remember him saying something along the lines of "so they re kind of all over the place here" as we left Grizzly Peak, walked by Paradise Pier, past Cars Land to A Bugs Land. It seems that even the most casual of guests can feel that the park has no identity and that something is missing.

mickEblu

I agree. Not that it can't be upgraded along the way, and changed for additions, but stop the needless change that gains nothing but a sales ad.

My kids are already bummed by the changes they are making. And will there be great new experiences to offset the loss of nostalgia and identity? Nope.

Yeah exactly. Sake for the sake of change. That micechat rumor is sickening. "They want to prove to Chappie they can compete a project fast" or whatever? Yikes. Nothing about quality, guest satisfaction, nothing.

Disney Analyst

One thing that really stuck out to me a few years ago I went to DCA with my uncle and his family. He is a casual a guest as they come and no theme park aficionado by an means and I remember him saying something along the lines of "so they re kind of all over the place here" as we left Grizzly Peak, walked by Paradise Pier, past Cars Land to A Bugs Land. It seems that even the most casual of guests can feel that the park has no identity and that something is missing.

Honestly at this point I don't know if Disney really cares about a uniting theme for the parks anymore... As long as each area is beautiful and in theme for that area it's good enough, screw tying it all together.

At this point they really should rename it Disney Adventure Park.... then at least it will somewhat make sense...

lazyboy97o

Staggs did what?

But it's the trivial things that add up. Those little things that people don't notice and don't think about make all the difference, in my opinion. You can have Mickey's face or you can have nothing on the Fun Wheel. Nothing works, too, it's not bad without Mickey's face. No one would be angry if there was no face on the Fun Wheel except for hard core fans. But having Mickey's face elevates it.
Mickey doesn’t elevate the Fun Wheel. It’s branding with the same sort of contrived, nonsense backstory explanation.

mickEblu

Honestly at this point I don't know if Disney really cares about a uniting theme for the parks anymore... As long as each area is beautiful and in theme for that area it's good enough, screw tying it all together.

At this point they really should rename it Disney Adventure Park.... then at least it will somewhat make sense...

Yeah it sure is a lot easier for Disney to have a "plug and play" park where you can just overlay and insert the hot IP of the moment. Unfortunately, with that approach, it's much harder to keep any sort of consistent theme. If that's what it takes to leave Disneyland proper alone then so be it. I've been saying for a while now I think they view Disneyland as the untouchable/ magical/ nostalgic park and DCA is where they can compete with Universal as a place to have the hottest IPs by overlaying or ripping out whatever they have to.

From where I'm sitting however, I don't think Disney has any real competition and they should just stick to their brand and what they do best.

mickEblu

Staggs did what?

Mickey doesn’t elevate the Fun Wheel. It’s branding with the same sort of contrived, nonsense backstory explanation.

Well it depends on how you define "elevate." I take him to mean that having a classic Mickey face on there probably makes it more appealing to a majority of guests. But no, Mickey on there doesn't make the fun wheel any more themed, if that's what your getting at.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I forgot to mention I hate the name Disney Adventure park. It's just so generic. I probably would have said that about "Disneyland" in 1955 too. "Like really he's just putting Land at the end of his last name?" But when your a visionary and basically the creator of theme parks you can do whatever you want and don't have to follow any rules. At least DCA is a unique name and the park is in California, so it works for me.

Now Disney Hollywood Studios was always a terrible name. So they can go ahead and change that.

SSG

I forgot to mention I hate the name Disney Adventure park. It's just so generic. I probably would have said that about "Disneyland" in 1955 too. "Like really he's just putting Land at the end of his last name?" But when your a visionary and basically the creator of theme parks you can do whatever you want and don't have to follow any rules. At least DCA is a unique name and the park is in California, so it works for me.

Now Disney Hollywood Studios was always a terrible name. So they can go ahead and change that.
You'll see dapping everywhere at DAP

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I'm really asking. A part of me says the casual guest won't really care but another part of says there also has to be a balance between new and nostalgic so people can re-live their memories. At a certain point they have to figure out an identity for DCA and stick to it.
I have a few ideas:
the "whatever Lasseter wants" park.
the "Bob Iger IP bandwagon fun factory" park.
the "we REALLY need to draw people away from Disneyland" park.
the "whatever the city council of Anaheim will let us get away with" park.

or my personal favorite...

the "throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks" park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom