News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

nevol

The shop architecture could be amazing, pixar or not. There is no reason that main street USA with popcorn lights underneath a roller coaster, with street performers and live music, wouldn't be the most energizing place in the park. It is totally do-able, but every iteration has been band-aids.

jt04

Clearly opening this by next summer is just a planting of the Pixar flag.

I would not be surprised if the long range plans take the better part of a decade and involve a substantial investment. Just an inkling.

PS- I usually don't post on Disneyland forums, but just wanted to add some calm before freshbaked looses their collective minds over this latest revamp of DCA.

D

Deleted member 107043

I usually don't post on Disneyland forums, but just wanted to add some calm before freshbaked looses their collective minds over this latest revamp of DCA.

Pssst... Don't know if you're aware but Freshbaked reads and posts in the DLR section. :D

Yeah including Cars Land In DCA has nothing to do with California. Now, the original plans for the land did but then they changed those plans but kept the "California backstory." Bugs land (well ITTBAB really) being that it was part of bountiful farm kind of gets a pass, but it's still a stretch. In short, Cars Land has just as much to do with California as the Little Mermaid and Monsters Inc. or GOTG do...nothing.

I don't have any pictures, but from what I saw when my parent explored Death Valley and Inyo County that there are indeed areas in CA that resemble the Radiator Springs landscape.

Ismael Flores

I think that is pretty much the extent of the overlay. We will get a new soundtrack and a Victorian looking queue to match TSMM. They may paint the trains but nothing else is going to change.
I really really hope they don't make the queue look like the TSMM. They can easily match the period but make it different. The old piers had buildings with some pretty cool and odd facades. They were never the same yet they somehow manage to fit because of slight architectural elements that connected them.
Of course let's hope that they are planning a proper queue and not just new paint and new colored tarps for shade

Ismael Flores

Personally, I'm still doubtful Pixar Pier is happening. However, if it does, how big of a bomb will it be? There's absolutely no buzz around it from what I've seen. Unlike Mission Breakout, it's not controversial so much as "Who cares? That seems pointless and dumb." I'm sure there'll be an initial couple of days to come see it when it "opens" but a repainted and renamed California Screamin' with a new soundtrack? A new face on the Fun Wheel? A show transplanted from somewhere else in the park? Who cares about any of this? Mission Breakout is a terrible attraction and a pathetic attempt by Disney but at least people are excited about Marvel and Guardians of the Galaxy. No one is excited about Pixar anymore. Just look at Cars 3 or The Good Dinosaur. Sure, Finding Dory did great financially, but who it was an incredibly film. The only two good Pixar movies of this decade are Toy Story 3 and Inside Out. The rest have all fallen short of what the studio once was in the late 90's and 2000's. I don't see any hype for this and I think if it ends up happening Disney will see a huge loss in revenue or just barely break even like they did with Mission Breakout.

Why would there be any hype for this? No one has seen anything besides the small art that was shown, There is no real attraction being added, and Disney hasn't talked about it much since.

This was just Disney's way of having some kind of announcement for Anaheim after all the WDW stuff.
It's just a continued "enhancement" of some of the remaining buildings of DCA 1.0 Not a major thing yet.
As for revenue loss, Disney doesn't make changes like this and expect it to bring a huge rate of return right away. These are all long term investments.

TROR

Why would there be any hype for this? No one has seen anything besides the small art that was shown, There is no real attraction being added, and Disney hasn't talked about it much since.

This was just Disney's way of having some kind of announcement for Anaheim after all the WDW stuff.
It's just a continued "enhancement" of some of the remaining buildings of DCA 1.0 Not a major thing yet.
As for revenue loss, Disney doesn't make changes like this and expect it to bring a huge rate of return right away. These are all long term investments.

I'd be likened to agree with you if this didn't mean the removal of many things added back in 2010 such as Mickey's face on the Fun Wheel or the Paradise Pier sign and Sunburst on California Screamin'. Instead, what I believe this is, is an attempt for Disney to hype up their latest Pixar movie and create some light buzz for DCA, just like what Mission Breakout was. Hopefully improvements will happen, such as fixing Screamin and the Fun Wheels' queues, and we already know those terrible shops from 2001 are going away, but I think those are things Imagineers snuck in when they saw the opportunity.

Phroobar

I'd be likened to agree with you if this didn't mean the removal of many things added back in 2010 such as Mickey's face on the Fun Wheel or the Paradise Pier sign and Sunburst on California Screamin'. Instead, what I believe this is, is an attempt for Disney to hype up their latest Pixar movie and create some light buzz for DCA, just like what Mission Breakout was. Hopefully improvements will happen, such as fixing Screamin and the Fun Wheels' queues, and we already know those terrible shops from 2001 are going away, but I think those are things Imagineers snuck in when they saw the opportunity.
But that isn't true either. There has been no official announcement of Mickey's face or the sunburst on California Screamin' disappearing. However, there is a rumor of an Incredibles themed spinner to go in the expansion pad between Screamin' and King Tritons. All we know for sure is the shops are changing and that is good thing.

TROR

But that isn't true either. There has been no official announcement of Mickey's face or the sunburst on California Screamin' disappearing. However, there is a rumor of an Incredibles themed spinner to go in the expansion pad between Screamin' and King Tritons. All we know for sure is the shops are changing and that is good thing.

It's most likely. We know from the concept art the wheel is being renamed to Pixar Fun Wheel and it shows the Pixar lamp on the entrance gateway. Could this change and they keep Mickey's Fun Wheel? Sure. Could they also keep the Paradise Pier sign over the sunburst and not change that either? I suppose. Will they change both of these in the end? It'd make the most sense.

D

Deleted member 107043

"Themed" and "spinner" are two words that don't belong together ;)

The Mad Hatter disagrees. :joyfull:

10987046784_72c7ab3377_b.jpg

Phroobar

It's most likely. We know from the concept art the wheel is being renamed to Pixar Fun Wheel and it shows the Pixar lamp on the entrance gateway. Could this change and they keep Mickey's Fun Wheel? Sure. Could they also keep the Paradise Pier sign over the sunburst and not change that either? I suppose. Will they change both of these in the end? It'd make the most sense.
This is a big conclusion to jump to without anything but an unrelated sign on a piece of concept art that may have changed. This logic reminds me of the show Ancient Aliens: "the primitive people could never do this, therefore ALIENS!"

mickEblu

This is a big conclusion to jump to without anything but an unrelated sign on a piece of concept art that may have changed. This logic reminds me of the show Ancient Aliens: "the primitive people could never do this, therefore ALIENS!"

Oh cmon. I think it's a lot more far fetched to think that these changes won't take place. The land is called Pixar Pier and the marquee will definitely be changed to reflect that. Mickeys Fun Wheel is trickier as it's become the park icon and is the backdrop for WOC but it's also logical to assume that it will most likeky be changed as well. Unless of course they just rationalize leaving him on there because you really can't see Mickeys face while in your in Paradise Pier proper (or at least I think). I'm also assuming here that Ariel gets "moved" to Pacific Wharf or some new mini land.

mickEblu

"Themed" and "spinner" are two words that don't belong together ;)

Lol. I agree with the basic sentiment here. But how do we define the difference in quality of Dumbo for example from Fliks Flyers? The fountain, atmosphere, etc. Theming is definitely a factor but probably not as much as aesthetics when it comes to good flat rides. It's the difference of just plopping down a carrousel on some concrete with a painted creepy mural of Triton or the Teacups/ Dumbo.

Curious Constance

Lol. I agree with the basic sentiment here. But how do we define the difference in quality of Dumbo for example from Fliks Flyers? The fountain, atmosphere, etc. Theming is definitely a factor but probably not as much as aesthetics when it comes to good flat rides. It's the difference of just plopping down a carrousel on some concrete with a painted creepy mural of Triton or the Teacups/ Dumbo.
I think the teacups and Dumbo get an extra pass because they're so old. Yes they are themed nicely, but if they were built today, I don't think they'd be as popular.

mickEblu

I think the teacups and Dumbo get an extra pass because they're so old. Yes they are themed nicely, but if they were built today, I don't think they'd be as popular.

Sure, nostalgia plays a part. However, I think they would be just as popular if they opened today if they were executed with the same quality and based off of the popular IP of the time. I don't see any reason why Little kids wouldn't want to ride these rides or why parents would be less inclined to take their kids on them. They would still be non threatening flat rides that parents can take their little kids on. Albeit pretty, "well themed" ones.

As an adult, how excited can we get about flat rides? I haven't been to every theme park in the world but as far flat rides go, they are probably best in class.

Figments Friend

I'm here at DCA now....and walking through the Pier, I'm looking around and guessing where the Pixarfication may hit.

It's easy to see things like the Golden Zepher maybe being turned into a Buzz Lightyear rocket ship themed spinner, and perhaps Goofy's Sky School easily being turned into another Pixar themed overlay.

I hope they don't mess with Paradise Gardens....and turn it into a Pixar themed eatery, or character dining.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom