News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Professortango1

Fixed that for you.

Nope, I loved these elements. The downfall of Paradise Pier, IMO, was that it played things too straight and close to the chest. It wasn't imaginative or amazing, it was just the impersonation of a pier, but without the ocean. Give me something I can't see anywhere else. Something wild and larger than life. The shops got it right. The land was too bland.

c-one

The best part of DCA?
Come On?!?!?!!!!!
Even on opening day Paradise Pier wasn't the best part of DCA.
Not Paradise Pier, which was very dumb at the start and is kind of fun and pretty now ... I meant California Screamin itself, which I think is a very fun coaster and is very much the symbol of DCA to me. Granted the queue needs a lot of work, and I thought the faux wooden thing was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen at first, but now I like the kinetic energy of the ride cars and it's a great World of Color backdrop. I'm having a really difficult time imagining how an Incredibles storyline will fit without being contrived, or why it even needs to.

I do have to say that the DHS facade works much better in person, and the upside-down coaster car that turns into the neck of the guitar provides an interesting visual draw.

It's certainly not their strongest work, but it looks better than a good deal of the park it resides in does, and it's a strong improvement over the Paris version. As to the ride itself, I couldn't say, as I haven't been on the Parisian counterpart.
This is my argument pretty much. The car and the long curvy light rig and of course the giant Stratocaster draw enough attention away from the bland stucco building behind it, in a way that the Paris facade is not successful with. Again, I won't defend the queue here and I always wished Orlando used the indoor switchbacks ever. (I do also recognize that it doesn't fit with the rest of Sunset. At least it's set back far enough so as not to intrude. Hey, maybe they'll move the whole ride over to "Grand Avenue," where it'll fit right in.)

The Hopper AA is great, the Flik AA is fun and surprising, the themeing of the queue and theatre is downright gorgeous, the bug attack sequence is near pitch perfect with the fog and spiders, and the bugs under the butt gag in fantastic (wish they'd install these on Indy). Its a great piece of edutainment that Disney used to be famous for. An original film educating us about bugs using some fun colorful characters.
The AAs are good, true, but dear god do I hate the rest of that attraction. To me it was the tipping point where Disney stopped using 3D/4D well, and started using it solely for effects with no coherent story. Also I've been trying to figure out for 15 years why some of the bugs are human-sized and some are normal-sized.

No Name

The Tron coaster is Shanghai's substitute for Space Mountain. So now they are building 2016 Space Mountain next to 1974 Space Mountain. It bothers me for a few reasons.
1. Out of all major rides that could be added to MK, why build a bigger Space Mountain?
2. DAK and DHS and even Epcot could certainly use the investment more.
3. The showbuilding in Shanghai is unthemed, huge, and very visible from multiple places. And the ride makes it clear you're entering a giant box. And the outdoor portion is neat, but makes no sense. As a thrill ride it's naturally popular, but its not a masterpiece of imagineering.

No single thing in the Disney universe perplexes me the way the popularity of this garbage 5-minute movie does.

I like it in DAK, because even though it uses an IP, it manages to fit theme of the park. Disney used to consistently do that last century and it worked, but then they begin disregarding theme.

Ironically, the same attraction makes absolutely no sense in DCA, doesn't fit the California theme at all.

c-one

Nothing about A Bug's Land says "California" -- other IP integrations work with the DCA theme either because there's a natural landscape or cultural Cali tie-in (Cars), or it's a mashup between the IP and something Californian (Toy Story/traditional pier amusements). A Bug's Land is really pushing it if the only rationalization is "there are bugs here". (This is also, of course, why I and many others are extremely weary of the whole Marvel thing.)

Phroobar

It was originally a part of the Bountiful Farm section, and is situated directly across from the Golden Vine Winery. In other words it is a nod to California's agriculture industry, which is the largest producer of food the nation, and 5th largest in the world.
Correct. And the whole show is how bugs are helpful to producing food. It fit perfectly back then. Only with Carsland does it no longer make sense.

dweezil78

I'm having a really difficult time imagining how an Incredibles storyline will fit without being contrived,

I really don’t think a coaster needs a storyline per se in order to still be themed. Space Mountain sure doesn’t. If they swapped out the old on-board audio with a new Michael Giacchino track, put some cool Dash LEDs on the side of the trains that made it look like he was running, and spruced up that lame queue I totally wouldn’t mind!

mickEblu

I really don’t think a coaster needs a storyline per se in order to still be themed. Space Mountain sure doesn’t. If they swapped out the old on-board audio with a new Michael Giacchino track, put some cool Dash LEDs on the side of the trains that made it look like he was running, and spruced up that lame queue I totally wouldn’t mind!

I'll admit this sounds like a best case scenario. Well maybe enclosing the tunnels too with some projections.

Worst case they paint the entire thing blue or red and put a big Incredibles logo inside the loop and have some cheesy audio from Dash during the ride.

Phroobar

I'll admit this sounds like a best case scenario. Well maybe enclosing the tunnels too with some projections.

Worst case they paint the entire thing blue or red and put a big Incredibles logo inside the loop and have some cheesy audio from Dash during the ride.
I think that is pretty much the extent of the overlay. We will get a new soundtrack and a Victorian looking queue to match TSMM. They may paint the trains but nothing else is going to change.

mickEblu

I think that is pretty much the extent of the overlay. We will get a new soundtrack and a Victorian looking queue to match TSMM. They may paint the trains but nothing else is going to change.

To me the biggest offense would be changing the color of the Coaster to anything other than white. I don't think they would repaint the whole thing but nothing really surprises me anymore. With that said, being that the Coaster is the back drop for WOC, I think they probably prefer to keep it white and not something saying "hey look at me." But then again....GOTG:MB.

So in short, I have no clue.

Antaundra

Nothing about A Bug's Land says "California" -- other IP integrations work with the DCA theme either because there's a natural landscape or cultural Cali tie-in (Cars), or it's a mashup between the IP and something Californian (Toy Story/traditional pier amusements). A Bug's Land is really pushing it if the only rationalization is "there are bugs here". (This is also, of course, why I and many others are extremely weary of the whole Marvel thing.)
I never bought the explanation that Car Culture justifies Cars Land in DCA. Car culture is not unique to California and Cars Land is explicitly Arizona not California. But if Car Culture is enough to justify the existence of Cars Land then Comic Book Culture is enough to justify Marvel Land. San Diego Comic Con is one of the largest, most famous, and earliest comic book conventions in the country and arguably established Comic Book Culture as we know it.

mickEblu

I never bought the explanation that Car Culture justifies Cars Land in DCA. Car culture is not unique to California and Cars Land is explicitly Arizona not California. But if Car Culture is enough to justify the existence of Cars Land then Comic Book Culture is enough to justify Marvel Land. San Diego Comic Con is one of the largest, most famous, and earliest comic book conventions in the country and arguably established Comic Book Culture as we know it.

Yeah including Cars Land In DCA has nothing to do with California. Now, the original plans for the land did but then they changed those plans but kept the "California backstory." Bugs land (well ITTBAB really) being that it was part of bountiful farm kind of gets a pass, but it's still a stretch. In short, Cars Land has just as much to do with California as the Little Mermaid and Monsters Inc. or GOTG do...nothing.

Last edited:

c-one

It was originally a part of the Bountiful Farm section, and is situated directly across from the Golden Vine Winery. In other words it is a nod to California's agriculture industry, which is the largest producer of food the nation, and 5th largest in the world.
I do remember that, but even then it felt way more like a cheap (even by DCA 1.0 standards) copy-paste from WDW to fill space in a dead land more than a spirited tribute to California. I'm sorry, I just hate the hell out of that movie.

Fair enough on the car culture thing -- the more important aspect to me is that the design of the whole thing was sufficiently Route-66-through-SoCal (obviously not uniquely SoCal), which may be why I give it more of a pass than other IP intrusions. I have no recollection of Radiator Springs being in Arizona in the films, which also helps. Comic Con is even more of a stretch California-wise, but also the most brilliant possible setup for Marvel Land that I've heard yet.

Curious Constance

I keep picturing them adding the ridiculous laugh that Dash does when he realizes he can run across water.

Curious Constance

To me the biggest offense would be changing the color of the Coaster to anything other than white. I don't think they would repaint the whole thing but nothing really surprises me anymore. With that said, being that the Coaster is the back drop for WOC, I think they probably prefer to keep it white and not something saying "hey look at me." But then again....GOTG:MB.

So in short, I have no clue.

I'll take any color, but I don't want to lose the soundtrack.

lazyboy97o

There's actually a backstory that connects G-Force records to Sunset Blvd but it's a little complicated since they're in two different time periods.
If something needs a guest to read some long backstory to really understand how it fits, then it probably doesn't fit.

That picture is why the Pixar Pier concept is a fantastic idea. This is some of the last punny DCA 1.0 crap that is still around. It will be a huge improvement to turn that store into a Turtle Talk show or m&g. Next time your at DCA, check out those stores and tell me why they should be preserved.
Not liking the Pixar Pier concept is in no way inherently tied to a desire to preserve what exists.

Space Mountain does have a story, it just is not some convoluted linear narrative. A trip through space is plenty of story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom