News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

SuddenStorm

True. I haven’t been back to DCA since I went on Mission Breakout for the first time. I need some cleansing.

I had avoided it since my AP expired in 2015, but went after I got a new AP last month and the group I was with wanted to go. It was fun to do Mission Breakout and RSR, and experience the horrific new Soarin (which I think is far worse than the ToT/MB debacle), but now I'm good for another few years.

A second wasted in DCA is a second I could be in Disneyland, and to me the choice is clear.

D

Deleted member 107043

Has there ever been an expansion of the scope and scale of Galaxy’s Edge? This will bring in an entire demographic of people who probably couldn’t care less about the rest of Disneyland, let alone DCA.

I think you and I are talking about 2 different groups of people. I'm talking about everyone, including tourists.

I'm also biased since I actually like DCA, so I could be totally wrong and DCA ends up being a ghost town in 2019.

shortstop

The '59 addition of Matterhorn, Monorail, and Subs?

New Orleans Square? Themed food and shops with two amazing attractions?
Still different, in my book.

Star Wars is at the height of its popularity. It is one of the, if not the singular most popular IP of all time. Not to mention we are in the age of social media where opinions and information spread like wildfire. I will always prefer the things you mentioned over SWL, but this addition is unprecedented in how large of an individual draw it will be, IMO.

SuddenStorm

Still different, in my book.

Star Wars is at the height of its popularity. It is one of the, if not the singular most popular IP of all time. Not to mention we are in the age of social media where opinions and information spread like wildfire. I will always prefer the things you mentioned over SWL, but this addition is unprecedented in how large of an individual draw it will be, IMO.

I still think that's it's comparable to New Orleans Square, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Haunted Mansion in terms of expansion, draw, and popularity- that land literally spawned films based off the attractions and devoted followings never before seen for theme park attractions. New Orleans didn't need IP, it created IP. In terms of scope and scale, that's tough to beat.

But I think the true test is how Star Wars Land holds up over the next 50 years. How it impacts Disneyland fandom, and Star Wars fandoms. That will be the true test to see how large its scope is.

shortstop

I still think that's it's comparable to New Orleans Square, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Haunted Mansion in terms of expansion, draw, and popularity- that land literally spawned films based off the attractions and devoted followings never before seen for theme park attractions. New Orleans didn't need IP, it created IP. In terms of scope and scale, that's tough to beat.

But I think the true test is how Star Wars Land holds up over the next 50 years. How it impacts Disneyland fandom, and Star Wars fandoms. That will be the true test to see how large its scope is.
I agree that New Orleans Square has had and will continue to have a last legacy. Heck, it’s arguably the best area in any theme park. I think you and I are thinking of different things, though. I’m mostly speaking to the immediate draw SWL will be in its first year or so of operation. As to how well it holds up over the next 50 years, I think that will be tied more to the quality of the land and its attractions than the SW fandom.

SuddenStorm

I agree that New Orleans Square has had and will continue to have a last legacy. Heck, it’s arguably the best area in any theme park. I think you and I are thinking of different things, though. I’m mostly speaking to the immediate draw SWL will be in its first year or so of operation. As to how well it holds up over the next 50 years, I think that will be tied more to the quality of the land and its attractions than the SW fandom.

In terms of immediate draw, it's said that the day the Mansion opened is the highest attended day in history (I'd be curious to see specific numbers but if I recall correctly it's 80,000- but who knows.)

It's also tough since the land opened in phases, whereas SWL is opening at once.

I am very curious to see how attendance is for SWL first day.

JD2000

You know, any question of the Incredicoaster's popularity in the long run, should really be a question of whether expectations of Disney quality has lowered over the years. ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
In terms of immediate draw, it's said that the day the Mansion opened is the highest attended day in history (I'd be curious to see specific numbers but if I recall correctly it's 80,000- but who knows.)

It's also tough since the land opened in phases, whereas SWL is opening at once.

I am very curious to see how attendance is for SWL first day.

Yeah but you're really comparing apples and oranges. SWL will be an evolution of what we already know as theme parks. The boundaries it looks to break are really in how they fill out the park and the inbetween entertainment. Yes, the two big attractions will likely be 'best in class' and do things we haven't seen before... but its still largely going to be what people know a Disney theme park to be... Attractions like PoTC and HM were so far beyond anything before them they were revolutionary... and done so well, they still attract people today based on what was built. Nothing really to do with brands or what not. The western expansion of DL was not just the addition of great attractions - it was still in the era of breaking the ideas of what a theme park could be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom