News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

SuddenStorm

Yeah but you're really comparing apples and oranges. SWL will be an evolution of what we already know as theme parks. The boundaries it looks to break are really in how they fill out the park and the inbetween entertainment. Yes, the two big attractions will likely be 'best in class' and do things we haven't seen before... but its still largely going to be what people know a Disney theme park to be... Attractions like PoTC and HM were so far beyond anything before them they were revolutionary... and done so well, they still attract people today based on what was built. Nothing really to do with brands or what not. The western expansion of DL was not just the addition of great attractions - it was still in the era of breaking the ideas of what a theme park could be.

I'm not quite sure I understand your point.

EPCOTCenterLover

I'm curious- but how do you fill out an entire day at DCA without riding the same 5 rides 20 times?
There are some "time eaters" in DCA that revolve around food. I grab a Starbucks and sit outside and crowd watch. Or a leisurely meal on the wharf and listen to the Mariachi Divas. The Animation Academy exhibits, wander the stores and such. If I ride anything more than once, its the single rider line on Radiator Springs Racers. I take photos etc. Just a few things I do.

SuddenStorm

Referring to the DL expansion in the 60s verse SWL is apples and oranges.

I understood that point, but I didn't understand your reasoning behind it. How is comparing a huge Disneyland expansion in the '60s different than comparing a huge Disneyland expansion in the 2010's?

The framework seems to be the same. Disney's promising an entirely themed land where every aspect- the food, entertainment, and attractions promise to be the most immersive and revolutionary ever seen.

Even the model- 2 "E" ticket attractions, 1 immersive dining experience (Bayou vs the Cantina), specialized stores- seems to be the same.

PB Watermelon

Aladdin is one of mi esposa's favorite Disney movies, Frozen? Not so much. She's miffed the Frozen stage show took over for Aladdin, I just remind her we're stuck with Frozen for a while. Yes, dear. Yes, I'd prefer Tangled as well. Tangled has no sequel planned, we're stuck with Frozen through 2020 and probably longer. Yes, dear. Yes, I know Frozen is kinda self-absorbed and vacuous. But it had social media crossover, with lots of free advertising from parents dressing their toddlers up as Anna and Elsa and recording them while they sang, "Let It Go" in the back of their minivans. I know, dear. That was a fad, it won't happen again but it will be encouraged. What's that? What will take Frozen's place at DCA some day? The Black Cauldron: The Musical. Book by Dan Brown and Jeffrey Katzenberg. Score by Elton John, Alan Menken, Andrew Lloyd Weber, and Shakira.

BrianLo

I'm curious- but how do you fill out an entire day at DCA without riding the same 5 rides 20 times?

I think a lot of the hidden treats of DCA are largely ignored by the frequent flyers. I too agree with the point that on my last trip I did 2x 2/3rd days at Disneyland and a full open to close day at DCA.
I came away feeling like I needed more time in DCA.

Things like Frozen, the two Carthay circle shows, +it was Christmas so I saw the wonderful 3 kings day thing. I went to the animation academy thing which I had never done before out West. Obviously a World of Colour showing.Formerly Pixar Play, now Paint the Nights (which is actually we likely all agree is an improvement).

Then acknowledging the fact that I literally always ignore Bugsland's existence there are still about 12 worthwhile rides for myself as an occasional semi-annual visitor:
1. Monsters Inc
2. Tower of Terror (I usually only do it once since it was a tier version of something I could do in Tokyo or WDW... I'd probably do Mission Breakout at least twice on a future visit)
3. RSR (usually rope drop and then an evening FP)
4. Maters
5. Luigi's (ok... maybe just once to see how it works)
6. Mermaid... probably twice because it's central and a walk on.
7. Screaming (once or twice)
8. Midway Mania (usually the longest wait of the day pre-Maxpass, I'd do it a second time now honestly with it being Maxpassable)
9. Fun wheel of death
10. I like the swings...
11. Grizzly
12. Soaring

I think I did Goofy's sky school for the first time ever on my last trip. There are several rides that I blatantly ignore, but I'm sure other people find value in random things.

Needless to say that's approximately 4x more rides I find worthwhile then exist currently in Hollywood Studios... Honestly that's still more rides than I find valuable at Epcot or Animal Kingdom even has (and I freaking adore that park now).

Tack on Flo's for breakfast, I kind of like doing the dinner package with world of colour and most recently a foray for the lobster nachos for lunch.

It ends up being a full satisfying day. I also honestly don't like doing nearly anything more than twice in a trip, the very rare unique standout gets a third go. Of course this whole how long you'd spend at a place thing is all subjective, some people on the Universal board talk about spending a week there and riding some things 7-10 times. That's basically the opposite of fun to me. I can see how DCA is repetitive in that sense for Annual pass holders... a lot of those things are no longer attractive on your 2nd-3rd visit that month, let alone year.

mickEblu

I’ve been a champion of DCA for a while. The 2012 changes were great as well as the 2016 update of Condor Flats into Grizzly Peak airfield. It’s a pleasant park and the wide walkways make for a less stressful experience than DL. For some reason people are not aware of their surroundings and love to just park in the middle of a walkway with a party of 10. At DL this gets magnified because of the narrow walkways and bottle necks. With all of this said, it hit me when I was at DCA with family on a 1 day per park ticket a couple months ago that there just isn’t very much to do there. There is barely enough for a first time guest. This went unnoticed by me before because park hopping to DL all the time hides DCAs flaws. So the lack of quality attractions plus the fact that they have made 3 of my favorites worse in the last few years has me low on DCA at the moment. And this isn’t even getting into thematic inconsitencies , ugly 20 story buildings and weird meta choices imagineers are resorting to to try to make sense of Chapeks branding assault on the parks.

TROR

I’ve been a champion of DCA for a while. The 2012 changes were great as well as the 2016 update of Condor Flats into Grizzly Peak airfield. It’s a pleasant park and the wide walkways make for a less stressful experience than DL. For some reason people are not aware of their surroundings and love to just park in the middle of a walkway with a party of 10. At DL this gets magnified because of the narrow walkways and bottle necks. With all of this said, it hit me when I was at DCA with family on a 1 day per park ticket a couple months ago that there just isn’t very much to do there. There is barely enough for a first time guest. This went unnoticed by me before because park hopping to DL all the time hides DCAs flaws. So the lack of quality attractions plus the fact that they have made 3 of my favorites worse in the last few years has me low on DCA at the moment. And this isn’t even getting into thematic inconsitencies , ugly 20 story buildings and weird meta choices imagineers are resorting to to try to make sense of Chapeks branding assault on the parks.
Massive agree. California is such a diverse state in its geography and themes there's no excuse for there to be as little as there is to do at DCA. One of its biggest problems is the fact they decided to build the Grand Californian within the park's borders. If that was elsewhere, you could easily fit a PotC scale boat ride themed to the Gold Rush there. Also with better planning we could've gotten a mine train wrapping around Grizzly Peak. The fact we haven't gotten, and never will get, Country Bear Jamboree in Grizzly Peak is disheartening. Another clone DCA should've had from day one is The Great Movie Ride. I mentioned Herbie and World of Motion for Car Land somewhere. Disney Princess themed Tunnel of Love in Paradise Pier would've been nice. I mean, I could keep going on. There's endless potential for DCA if they really wanted to commit to the California theme and allow it to be its own park that people would go to the Disneyland Resort just for. But they don't want that, apparently, which also means they don't want my money.

D

Deleted member 107043

And I ask you how do you go to Disneyland and ride the same rides over and over? I don't visit Disney Parks just to rides, do you? I also don't visit often, so I'm not as fatigued by everything like the AP crowd is.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I understood that point, but I didn't understand your reasoning behind it. How is comparing a huge Disneyland expansion in the '60s different than comparing a huge Disneyland expansion in the 2010's?
Disney themed entertainment at age 10... verse age 60. That is 3 people generations difference in knowing what disney entertainment is by growing up and ezperiencing it.

People forget just how ground breaking DL was... world leaders would come to see this mecca. And the 60s expansions were like gas on the fire.

SuddenStorm

Disney themed entertainment at age 10... verse age 60. That is 3 people generations difference in knowing what disney entertainment is by growing up and ezperiencing it.

People forget just how ground breaking DL was... world leaders would come to see this mecca. And the 60s expansions were like gas on the fire.

If the marketing dept is to be believed, than SWL is supposed to be groundbreaking as well. My post was in response to a comment asking if there's ever been an expansion that's the same scope as Star Wars Land, and I very much think that New Orleans Square fits the bill.

D

Deleted member 107043

There are some "time eaters" in DCA that revolve around food. I grab a Starbucks and sit outside and crowd watch. Or a leisurely meal on the wharf and listen to the Mariachi Divas. The Animation Academy exhibits, wander the stores and such. If I ride anything more than once, its the single rider line on Radiator Springs Racers. I take photos etc. Just a few things I do.

Exactly, everyone has their own way of "doing" DLR. I'm one those people who has never enjoyed running from ride to ride at a Disney park.

Between attractions at DCA I like to take time out to sit on a bench, play a couple of midway games, or have a glass of wine and watch a parade from the Winery terrace. I'll do Little Mermaid multiple times because the wait is usually 5 minutes. I love World of Color, and now that PtN is at DCA that's something I'd like see. I enjoy the theater and I haven't seen the Frozen musical, so it's a top priority for my next visit. A trip to DLR wouldn't be complete for me without a nice dinner at the winery or at Carthay Circle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom