News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Figments Friend

( feels the sudden urge, building up inside....)

Anti-Pixar rant follows....you have been warned.

Potentially disagreeable and hostile comments to follow below.
Proceed with caution.

-------------------

:bored:

This whole 'Pixarfication' we have seen take over aspects of the Parks over the last few years drives me nuts.
I find it annoying and unappealing from a Parks fan perspective.
Maybe it's just me, but I really don't see the appeal of it all.

Pixar is not 'Disney' to me...and never will be.
They are different entities ... and don't start going on about 'oh, they are Disney now because of the buy out'.
Sorry, but from my perspective they are still two different entities / companies.
Your mileage may vary.

The reason it keeps getting pushed into our faces is primarily because the Pixar films sold truckloads of toys and other merchandise.
That's it.
Sure, a few of their films were highly successful and in some cases quite good entertainment.
Even a crusty old dragon such as myself can admit that.
But it's the success the films had in selling tons of toy Woody & Buzz action figures and toy Cars that makes pushing the IPs so irresistible now.
Oh, and maybe Skipper John's ego / manipulative power...what's left of it.

A couple of the more popular films are just now starting to emanate a 'nostalgia buzz' from the 20 somethings...and soon that will be used to manipulate those soon-to-be new parents.
We are already in the midst of that, thus another reason it's being so heavily pushed post-buyout.
That's all well and good I suppose for fans of those Pixar films and characters, but what about the long term health of the Parks as a whole?

How many truly fantastic ride and entertainment opportunities has the public missed out on simply because a 'Pixarfication' was being invested in instead of a totally new thematic creation?
How many new experiences or unique themed areas have we lost the chance to see because a cheaper ' Pixarfication' was done in its place?
Do the Pixar properties really have the timeless staying power to insure the public at large will still care about them 30/40 years from now..?

Now of course, there is Cars Land which is well done and incorporates Pixar properties....and that was indeed a real plus to DCA.
I'm not a 'Cars' fan by any means, but the land is fun and 'Radiator Springs Racers' is a great Attraction.
Custom designed and built with fully immersive thematic elements...taking you into the world of 'Cars'.
That is different and better then overlaying a exsisting Attraction with Pixar characters that don't thematically fit, or oversaturating a area where they don't really belong.

Perhaps that's why 'Pixarficafion' in the Parks irritates me so much at times....it's often associated with efforts that are less then stellar.
Maybe I'm just a cranky old dragon now..and just can't accept those hip new CGI characters infiltrating the environment.
Or maybe I just don't dig Skipper John's influence...the 'white knight' who many touted several years ago as being the 'savior of the Parks and today's WDI' when the buyout happened.
From my standpoint, all I've seen to date is the spreading of his Pixar offspring within the Parks with mixed results.

:depressed:

-----------------

( breathes sigh of slight relief...ices head.... )

Rant over....

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread all about 'Pixar Pier'.
Thank you, and have a Magical day.

:)

-

Last edited:

britain

"California Screamin’ will close for a six month refurbishment just after Christmas to receive an Incredibles storyline built around Dash, plus long overdue paint and a full maintenance overhaul."

Six months seems like a long time for paint and putting up some Incredibles cut-outs.

It's a lot of paint.

Professortango1

( feels the sudden urge, building up inside....)

Anti-Pixar rant follows....you have been warned.

Potentially disagreeable and hostile comments to follow below.
Proceed with caution.

-------------------

:bored:

This whole 'Pixarfication' we have seen take over aspects of the Parks over the last few years drives me nuts.
I find it annoying and unappealing from a Parks fan perspective.
Maybe it's just me, but I really don't see the appeal of it all.

Pixar is not 'Disney' to me...and never will be.
They are different entities ... and don't start going on about 'oh, they are Disney now because of the buy out'.
Sorry, but from my perspective they are still two different entities / companies.
Your mileage may vary.

The reason it keeps getting pushed into our faces is primarily because the Pixar films sold truckloads of toys and other merchandise.
That's it.
Oh, and maybe Skipper John's ego / manipulative power...what's left of it.

Sure, a few of their films were highly successful and in some cases quite good entertainment.
Even a crusty old dragon such as myself can admit that.
A couple of the more popular films are just now starting to emanate a 'nostalgia buzz' from the 20 somethings...and soon that will be used to manipulate those soon-to-be new parents.
We are already in the midst of that, thus another reason it's being so heavily pushed post-buyout.
That's all well and good I suppose for fans of those Pixar films and characters, but what about the long term health of the Parks as a whole?

How many truly fantastic ride and entertainment opportunities has the public missed out on simply because a 'Pixarfication' was being invested in instead of a totally new thematic creation?
How many new experiences or unique themed areas have we lost the chance to see because a cheaper ' Pixarfication' was done in its place?
Do the Pixar properties really have the timeless staying power to insure the public at large will still care about them 30/40 years from now..?

Now of course, there is Cars Land which is well done and incorporates Pixar properties....and that was indeed a real plus to DCA.
I'm not a 'Cars' fan by any means, but the land is fun and 'Radiator Springs Racers' is a great Attraction.
Custom designed and built with fully immersive thematic elements...taking you into the world of 'Cars'.
That is different and better then overlaying a exsisting Attraction with Pixar characters that don't thematically fit, or oversaturating a area where they don't really belong.

Perhaps that's why 'Pixarficafion' in the Parks irritates me so much at times....it's often associated with efforts that are less then stellar.
Maybe I'm just a cranky old dragon now..and just can't accept those hip new CGI characters infiltrating the environment.
Or maybe I just don't dig Skipper John's influence...the 'white knight' who many touted several years ago as being the 'savior of the Parks and today's WDI' when the buyout happened.
From my standpoint, all I've seen to date is the spreading of his Pixar offspring with the Parks.

:depressed:

-----------------

( breathes sigh of slight relief...ices head.... )

Rant over....

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread all about 'Pixar Pier'.
Thank you, and have a Magical day.

:)

-

Sadly, while Pixar has been churning out well-liked films which stick with the public, Disney made movies that didn't resonate (Bolt, Meet the Robinsons, The Wild, Chicken Little, Valiant, Mars Needs Moms.) 2000-2010 was another Disney dark age (80's) while Pixar had hit after hit. If they want to monopolize upon the interests of parents/children who grew up in the past decade, Pixar is the only real option.

Phroobar

"California Screamin’ will close for a six month refurbishment just after Christmas to receive an Incredibles storyline built around Dash, plus long overdue paint and a full maintenance overhaul."

Six months seems like a long time for paint and putting up some Incredibles cut-outs.
I think the main reason it's closing is to install the spinner in the helix area.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Preface: Sorry, I'm gonna hop on the rant train for a second myself...

The more I hear/read about this project, the more sour a taste it leaves in my mouth.
Per the Micechat article, I'm strongly annoyed that "this was a project that was fast-tracked with major political pressure inside WDI, and it’s designed by WDI to prove to Bob Chapek that they can still project manage a park concept quickly to completion with good results, which is something Bob feels WDI is not very capable of." In other words...very little of this project is being approached with the guest satisfaction in mind, aka, kind of their first priority.

Don't particularly care for Chapek at all and I hope he vacates along with Iger in 2019. Chapek has been the wrong person to head the parks (imo), and now it just seems like WDI and Chapek are trying to play a game of macho headed chess, except the chess pieces are actual areas of TDR and WDW.

Also, I have to say my trust in Lasseter is on its way out. This whole thing reeks of him drunkenly popping into an office meeting, hawaiian shirt half untucked, and bleating on about how there needs to be MOAR PIXUR EN DIZNEE!!! Not to mention...Cars 3. Total dud at the BO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he has helped steer the Disney animation ship back to where it is...and Carsland...is OK....but I feel like its at a point where he's seeing how much he can flex Pixar's "power" to try and rival that of the mouse. He has too much power over too many departments, and we've all seen what that has done to execs in the past...

And, I'm done.

Last edited:

britain

I think the main reason it's closing is to install the spinner in the helix area.

I don't like the clashing of victorian with mid-century modern... but I confess it might be fun to ride Screamin around this guy.

upload_2017-8-8_12-3-4.png

Figments Friend

Sadly, while Pixar has been churning out well-liked films which stick with the public, Disney made movies that didn't resonate (Bolt, Meet the Robinsons, The Wild, Chicken Little, Valiant, Mars Needs Moms.) 2000-2010 was another Disney dark age (80's) while Pixar had hit after hit. If they want to monopolize upon the interests of parents/children who grew up in the past decade, Pixar is the only real option.

A very valid point.

Part of the reason those Disney films noted above didn't succeed was this was during the period where the Company felt a need to try to 'copy' Pixar.
So they abandoned their own famous Traditional Animation to start doing their own 'copycat' CGI animated films assuming that was what was needed to compete with Pixar and win back the publics favor.
Unfortunately, flashy CGI does nothing to make a film appealing if the story is not worthwhile in the beginning.
It's too bad Disney seemed to give up on it's Traditional Animation, as today it could have very well given them a edge to stand out admidst the overuse of CG efforts these days.

It is indeed true that for many people who grew up over the last decade or so, Pixar films were a part of that.
So yes, I agree that those elements should be represented in the Parks in some form.
I just don't agree with most of the ways that they have been implemented thus far.

-

mickEblu

So why not give those fans some real attractions and not more flat rides? Pixar IP in the parks Is represented by 80% flat rides. With RSR and Ratatouille as notable exceptions and TSMM/ Buzz as honorable mentions.

Last edited:

Professortango1

A very valid point.

Part of the reason those Disney films noted above didn't succeed was this was during the period where the Company felt a need to try to 'copy' Pixar.
So they abandoned their own famous Traditional Animation to start doing their own 'copycat' CGI animated films assuming that was what was needed to compete with Pixar and win back the publics favor.
Unfortunately, flashy CGI does nothing to make a film appealing if the story is not worthwhile in the beginning.
It's too bad Disney seemed to give up on it's Traditional Animation, as today it could have very well given them a edge to stand out admidst the overuse of CG efforts these days.

It is indeed true that for many people who grew up over the last decade or so, Pixar films were a part of that.
So yes, I agree that it should indeed be represented in the Parks.
I don't agree with most of the ways that has been implemented thus far.

-

Disney had begun to crack before that. While I love Hunchback, it didn't do well. Mulan and Hercules feel like they're trying to imitate the "hip" edge that Robin Williams brought to Genie, but it fell flat. Tarzan was beautiful, but the story felt torn between a serious new frontier of Disney and stock comedic sidekicks (Hunchback syndrome). We'd see this again with the "almost but not enough" executions of Atlantis and Treasure Planet as they tried to copy anime and Titan AE. People either loved or hated Stitch and then shortly after the final nails were Brother Bear and Home on the Range; two massive flops which are painful to watch. Disney was doing what DC is doing now, chasing the fad. Instead of creating something that served the story, they were focused on trying to replicate what worked before.

Professortango1

So why not give those fans some real attractions and not more flat rides. Pixar IP in the parks seems to be represented by 80% flat rides. With RSR and Ratatouille as notable exceptions and TSMM/ Buzz as honorable mentions.

I think part of the problem is Pixar films are character driven, making it difficult to translate to a theme park attraction. It's also the tone, Pixar feels very modern in setting and story whereas most Disney attractions draw off a sense of nostalgia and callbacks to a lost time. When I see a Pixar world I think it looks great, but I can't imagine what I'd do there if immersed in the world.

Monstropolis for example. Its interesting, but its just a modern day urban environment with monster influences. I can't think of anything besides Monsters Inc itself that I would want to see/do. Same with Incredibles. Great movie, but other than fighting some kind of big robot threat, I can't think of anything else that would make a C-D ticket attraction in that world.

Don't forget about Tough to Be a Bug, probably the best 4D theme park attraction we've seen AND it's not just a rehash of the movie.

mickEblu

I think part of the problem is Pixar films are character driven, making it difficult to translate to a theme park attraction. It's also the tone, Pixar feels very modern in setting and story whereas most Disney attractions draw off a sense of nostalgia and callbacks to a lost time. When I see a Pixar world I think it looks great, but I can't imagine what I'd do there if immersed in the world.

Monstropolis for example. Its interesting, but its just a modern day urban environment with monster influences. I can't think of anything besides Monsters Inc itself that I would want to see/do. Same with Incredibles. Great movie, but other than fighting some kind of big robot threat, I can't think of anything else that would make a C-D ticket attraction in that world.

Don't forget about Tough to Be a Bug, probably the best 4D theme park attraction we've seen AND it's not just a rehash of the movie.

Actually, that's a great point. Pixar is mostly character/ story driven. However with that said, I think you have a lot of missed opportunity for quality attractions with Incredibles, Inside Out and Wall E. A Monsters Inc door Coaster could have been really cool and maybe an FL style ride for Up Where you are suspended in a hot air ballon.

I think to take your point a step further, it's not that Pixar doesn't have IP that can provide content for good attractions, it's that they don't have the content that make for good lands. And we all know how everything has to be a single IP land. All of the IPs I mentioned in the paragraph above would make for good attractions but I'm not really interested in seeing any Lands based on those IPs. Except maybe inside out but that would probably be pretty tough to pull off. Some lush Incredibles "island" could be cool too.

Yes forgot about ITTBAB, which I found highly enjoyable watching all three times. That might be the Pixar attraction in any park behind RSR. Disclaimer: have not rode Rat.

Last edited:

Professortango1

Actually, that's a great point. Pixar is mostly character/ story driven. However with that said, I think you have a lot of missed opportunity for quality attractions with Incredibles, Inside Out and Wall E. A Monsters Inc door Coaster could have been really cool and maybe an FL style ride for Up Where you are suspended in a hot air ballon.

I think to take your point a step further, it's not that Pixar doesn't have IP that can provide content for good attractions, it's that they don't have the content that make for good lands. And we all know how everything has to be a single IP land. All of the IPs I mentioned in the paragraph above would make for good attractions but I'm not really interested in seeing any Lands based on those IPs. Except maybe inside out but that would probably be pretty tough to pull off. Some lush Incredibles "island" could be cool too.

Yes forgot about ITTBAB, which I found highly enjoyable watching all three times. That might be the Pixar attraction in any park behind RSR. Disclaimer: have not rode Rat.

The rides could go into other lands, but the worlds these stories exist in are so unique that they don't generally flow with existing lands. Like Up takes place in the jungles, but it would still feel odd in Adventureland due to the time period and cartoony nature. A Sheriff Woody's Roundup Ride might be fun, but I'm not sure if it would feel right in the realistic environment of Frontierland.

Ismael Flores

What I find interesting of this whole thing is

WDW had the land to create a whole Pixar themed land with various movies represented in what could be a somewhat interesting Pixar world. Instead they chose to use several acres on a coaster and tea cup style ride based on one movie.

Then we come to Anaheim and they decide a Pixar world and it has to be confined into the landlocked Paradise Pier area where the only room available is a spinner.
I would have loved it if they had resurrected the Incredibles thrill ride they had designed and put on hold a while back. Now that would have been a great addition to Pixar Pier.

I still think that the Pier need a huanted maze style ride. I also think that Incredibles could have worked by just theming the ride to an old abondoned huanted mazes turned evil villain hideout.

If not then a very emmersive ride that takes guests to the world of the dead. A very colorful dark ride based on Coco

mickEblu

The rides could go into other lands, but the worlds these stories exist in are so unique that they don't generally flow with existing lands. Like Up takes place in the jungles, but it would still feel odd in Adventureland due to the time period and cartoony nature. A Sheriff Woody's Roundup Ride might be fun, but I'm not sure if it would feel right in the realistic environment of Frontierland.

I agree. I wouldn't want to see an Up Ride in Adventureland etc. But I'm not sure the "stories that exist are so unique" argument works. You have Splash Mountian and Pooh in Critter country and The hodge podge that is TL. Not to say I would want to see a Pixar version of TL. Just trying to say I don't think it's thematic integrity (cough cough GOTG, Pixar Pier cough) etc stopping them from making better Pixar attractions. It's short turn around times and lower budgets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom