News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
For sure, but I also thought the announcement of the Mickey and Minnie ride was completely bizarre. They describe it as being 3D without needing 3D glasses, which begs the question, why not just build things? But worst of all was the concept art. It's nothing I would ever want to do based on those crude ugly images. And this is in the wake of that awful concept art for the new POTC auction scene.

They actually described it as 2.5D which is fancy talk for projections on flat sets. So not only is it replacing the Great Movie Ride and using that crappy style of Mickey no one wanted but it's also just going to be screens and projections. Yay.

SuddenStorm

which begs the question, why not just build things?

Same reason screens and projectors are getting shoved into everything- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's cheaper to render a 3d character, animate it's movements, add some scenery and audio, project it onto a screen, and call it a day than it is to render a 3d character, animate it's movements, have all the parts to build said character, build a physical set, and then have to tweak stuff till it works.

Not to mention maintenance. It's easier to change a projector bulb than it is to order custom animatronic parts.

Travel Junkie

I find it funny that Pixar Pier was excitedly announced by a very excitable John Lasseter a few weeks ago with some vague words and an even vaguer piece of concept art. And weeks later Disney still hasn't said a word, and we know nothing about the plans for this thing.

This has to be one of the weirdest and vaguest things Disney has announced in years.

MiceChat provided more information than Disney has this morning.

The whole project was fast tracked which is why it was a surprise and clumsily announced.
PP goes from Cove Bar to but not including Silly Symphony Swings.
CS is being rethemed to Incredibles. It goes down for refurb after Christmas.
New Incredibles spinner being added
Turtle Talk being moved to new purpose built theater.

http://micechat.com/168562-disney-pixar-pier/

britain

MiceChat provided more information than Disney has this morning.

The whole project was fast tracked which is why it was a surprise and clumsily announced.
PP goes from Cove Bar to but not including Silly Symphony Swings.
CS is being rethemed to Incredibles. It goes down for refurb after Christmas.
New Incredibles spinner being added
Turtle Talk being moved to new purpose built theater.

Ha! So funny - I woke up this morning with a half asleep picture in my head of the Omnidroid standing in the California Screaming helix! Miceage doesn't say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the spinner apparatus.

Kman101

I know nothing new has really been announced for this but do we have any clue how much effort will actually be put towards this? Will Goofy's be re-themed? Screamin'? The death wheel? I can't imagine them investing all of that time and money but if they re-do the pier, they should go all in. I know Martin @marni1971 probably hasn't paid much attention to this and I hope @WDW1974 chimes in in his thread if he can but I'm just curious because they aren't calling it 'temporary'.

britain

I know nothing new has really been announced for this but do we have any clue how much effort will actually be put towards this? Will Goofy's be re-themed? Screamin'? The death wheel? I can't imagine them investing all of that time and money but if they re-do the pier, they should go all in. I know Martin @marni1971 probably hasn't paid much attention to this and I hope @WDW1974 chimes in in his thread if he can but I'm just curious because they aren't calling it 'temporary'.

As Travel Junkie posted, this Miceage story gives the best insight so far.

mickEblu

The micechat article doesn't make a lot of sense. Didn't WDI prove they can do fast turn arounds with Mission Breakout? Either way, this sounds like another non sense half baked move. Retheming mostly the parts of the Pier that don't need it while leaving out the parts that could use a retheme.

The good news is that if Goofy has a home in Paradise Pier then MFW as the park icon should be safe. But who knows?

mickEblu

An Incredibles spinner and a rethemed outdoor Coaster are probably two of the worst ways to represent that IP.

If you would have told me two years ago that they were overlaying TOT into a GOTG ride and Screamin was getting a permanent Dash overlay I would have never believed you. What do the Kardashians have to do with DCA anyway?

No but seriously, they done lost their minds.

Last edited:

Kman101

As Travel Junkie posted, this Miceage story gives the best insight so far.

I've probably read it already but I'll check it out. I've actually read all 42 pages of the thread LOL but I was hoping someone with inside knowledge could chime in and add some details. I know at one point there seemed to be rumblings of Screamin' becoming themed to The Incredibles and this was before Pixar Pier was on anyone's radar.

EDIT: Reading the linked article now. Hadn't seen it :) thanks for the link!

SSG

"Ariel’s Grotto and the popular Cove Bar will get a Pixar remake to replace the Princesses."

I find it hard to believe that Disney will get rid of the money making character dining at Ariel's

Curious Constance

An Incredibles spinner and a rethemed outdoor Coaster are probably two of the worst ways to represent that IP.

If you would have told me two years ago that they were overlaying TOT into a GOTG ride and Screamin was getting a permanent Dash overlay I would have never believed you. What do the Kardashians have to do with DCA anyway?

No but seriously, they done lost their minds.
Disney already said that the Screamin Dash retheme was part of the temporary, year long Pixar Bash or whatever its called.

Phroobar

New spinner ride concept art for PP.

maxresdefault.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom