News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

D

Deleted member 107043

There very likely will be. Though I would like to think (more like hope) Disney's criteria for what qualifies someone to be considered "media" doesn't include any and every Joe Schmoe with a YouTube channel where they shout from a couch in their mom's basement, and ask for your money to further their hobby/career lifestyle.

I would too, but the speed that some of these people are able to reach their rabid and sizeable audiences makes them desirable to marketers.

Disneylover152

But other than the static figures, which are supposed to be the real characters

I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have static figures than projections.

Plus I'm still hoping for the surprise to be an animatronic Parr family or at least one animatronic at the end that's supposed to be a surprise. Maybe an Edna Mode that interacts you like Roz from the Monster's Inc. ride?

TROR

I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have static figures than projections.

Plus I'm still hoping for the surprise to be an animatronic Parr family or at least one animatronic at the end that's supposed to be a surprise. Maybe an Edna Mode that interacts you like Roz from the Monster's Inc. ride?
Not criticizing the static figures. I definitely agree they're better than projections. I've never understood the complaints about the static figures on TLM.

mickEblu

Static figures make perfect sense for a fast coaster like this.

True, I’d like to see a couple at the beginning or end of the ride though. If they re going to go through the trouble to theme the coaster to the Incredibles adding a few AAs is kind of necessary I think.

Disneylover152

Not criticizing the static figures. I definitely agree they're better than projections. I've never understood the complaints about the static figures on TLM.

I've never rode TLM until I went to California last month. Whenever I went to Disney World it was always a 30 minute wait for a ride I heard was not good so I never bothered waiting.

But in DCA it was a walk-on almost the entire day (except noon-3 it was a 15 minute wait) so I rode it and I didn't understand all the hate. Sure it wouldn't be worth more than a 15 minute wait, but it was a nice ride that I enjoyed. I rode it 3 times since everything else in the park was a 30+ minute wait, even Monster's (exception swings, Jumping Jellyfish and the walkthroughs but tbh how long can you ride the swings). Man that park is in need of more rides.

SuddenStorm

Mermaid is not a good attraction, static figures or not.

In his Season Pass Interviews, Tony Baxter takes a number of potshots at the Little Mermaid ride. He derides it as a purely book report ride- "Oh look, here's a mermaid. And she's doing exactly what she did in the movie"

It's the Winnie the Pooh of California Adventure, and it's a shame Disney didn't spend more money to make it like an underwater Pan ride- charming, exciting, and pure, old fashioned Disney fun.

SuddenStorm

Says the man who gave us Rocket Rods, Nemo Subs, and TL '98.

And Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, Fantasyland '83. Gotta take the good with the bad.

FWIW, he does discuss the creative process and the hoops he had to jump through with the Nemo Subs and Tomorrowland '98. He especially doesn't hold back (at least, he holds back less than you'd expect) when talking about the budget cuts, design changes, etc. they were forced to make while developing the new attractions and land design. If I recall correct, he says that if they could go back he'd push for one great ride, and make the rest of the land wait to be fixed up instead of trying to do it all on a lesser budget. Apparently, Rocket Rods was designed to have four times the budget it got- with light up vehicles, banked curves, better effects, etc.

No Imagineer or creative is perfect, but Baxter understands Disneyland better than just about every current Imagineer or exec I've seen in interviews, and it's a shame he was pushed out of Imagineering.

truecoat

I've never rode TLM until I went to California last month. Whenever I went to Disney World it was always a 30 minute wait for a ride I heard was not good so I never bothered waiting.

But in DCA it was a walk-on almost the entire day (except noon-3 it was a 15 minute wait) so I rode it and I didn't understand all the hate. Sure it wouldn't be worth more than a 15 minute wait, but it was a nice ride that I enjoyed. I rode it 3 times since everything else in the park was a 30+ minute wait, even Monster's (exception swings, Jumping Jellyfish and the walkthroughs but tbh how long can you ride the swings). Man that park is in need of more rides.

In comparison to Disneyland I guess. Otherwise it’s loaded compared to Florida parks.

D

Deleted member 107043

And Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, Fantasyland '83. Gotta take the good with the bad.

FWIW, he does discuss the creative process and the hoops he had to jump through with the Nemo Subs and Tomorrowland '98. He especially doesn't hold back (at least, he holds back less than you'd expect) when talking about the budget cuts, design changes, etc. they were forced to make while developing the new attractions and land design. If I recall correct, he says that if they could go back he'd push for one great ride, and make the rest of the land wait to be fixed up instead of trying to do it all on a lesser budget. Apparently, Rocket Rods was designed to have four times the budget it got- with light up vehicles, banked curves, better effects, etc.

No Imagineer or creative is perfect, but Baxter understands Disneyland better than just about every current Imagineer or exec I've seen in interviews, and it's a shame he was pushed out of Imagineering.

First let me make it clear that I'm biased because I think Baxter is a talented yet grossly overrated imagineer. In my opinion his vision for TL '98 was a miguided vanity project, and could have succeeded if it weren't for his relentless obsession with steam punk. The whole copper Tomorrowland meets Discoveryland thematic concept was a mess from the start.

That said, I understand his complaints about shifting corporate priorities and budgets. However most creative programs deployed by large corporations are subject to some or all of those challenges. Hard to believe someone who worked at WDI as long as he did had never encountered budget reductions before. Certainly the Imagineers responsible for TLM were under the same pressures for resources.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom