News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

fctiger

There's a line of obnoxiousness and brand-cheapening that, ideally, a studio won't cross. Both Disney and Universal crossed it for me with their recent car ads for I2 and JW2. It's not Fred Flintstone selling cigs, but it's still obnoxious. Thank goodness we haven't seen any of the Cars characters selling themselves. Yet.

I feel you. My faith in Krusty the Clown was almost lost when he shamefully endorsed the Canyonero back in the 90s.

But eventually I forgave him once all the trucks were recalled and still happily go to Krustyland every (3) year.

EPCOTCenterLover

And Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, Fantasyland '83. Gotta take the good with the bad.

FWIW, he does discuss the creative process and the hoops he had to jump through with the Nemo Subs and Tomorrowland '98. He especially doesn't hold back (at least, he holds back less than you'd expect) when talking about the budget cuts, design changes, etc. they were forced to make while developing the new attractions and land design. If I recall correct, he says that if they could go back he'd push for one great ride, and make the rest of the land wait to be fixed up instead of trying to do it all on a lesser budget. Apparently, Rocket Rods was designed to have four times the budget it got- with light up vehicles, banked curves, better effects, etc.

No Imagineer or creative is perfect, but Baxter understands Disneyland better than just about every current Imagineer or exec I've seen in interviews, and it's a shame he was pushed out of Imagineering.
And Disneyland Paris and Journey into Imagination and Indiana Jones Adventure, DLs new Fantasyland etc.
Tony is a fantastic Imagineer on par with the greats of old.

Californian Elitist

In his Season Pass Interviews, Tony Baxter takes a number of potshots at the Little Mermaid ride. He derides it as a purely book report ride- "Oh look, here's a mermaid. And she's doing exactly what she did in the movie"

It's the Winnie the Pooh of California Adventure, and it's a shame Disney didn't spend more money to make it like an underwater Pan ride- charming, exciting, and pure, old fashioned Disney fun.

Couldn’t agree more. While it’s not a terrible ride, with the current technology, it could have been good, but alas. It’s perfect for hot days or when you can’t think of anything to do at DCA and could use a quick, mildly entertaining break.

Rich T

Couldn’t agree more. While it’s not a terrible ride, with the current technology, it could have been good, but alas. It’s perfect for hot days or when you can’t think of anything to do at DCA and could use a quick, mildly entertaining break.
"So, we figured the Little Mermaid ride should go like this: Ditch all the exciting stuff like sharks, storms, battles... Basically, on this ride, Ariel mopes, goes out on a date and gets married. The End."
"BRILLIANT!!! Here's a $150 million dollars to spend! Remember, keep it dull!"
"Oh, we promise. This is the ride where nothing happens."
"Good tag line!"

NobodyElse

In his Season Pass Interviews, Tony Baxter takes a number of potshots at the Little Mermaid ride. He derides it as a purely book report ride- "Oh look, here's a mermaid. And she's doing exactly what she did in the movie"

Somebody refresh my memory. Was his proposed Little Mermaid ride a huge departure from the film?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom