News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Rich T

I'm sorry that is just so ridiculous. Disney has been using smells to elicit guest reactions since opening day, they are famous for it. And all so guest will buy more. This is no different.
It is different. They usually do this in a retail environment, such as outside a shop. Their world-famous attractions should not hawk snacks as part of the ride. The orange smells on Soarin' are for effect only. You don't exit into an Orange Julius. Yet.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
For me, the smellitizers were all about subtlety as you walked along Main St. They added to the ambience of the environment. They don't act as marketing ploys while you're zipping by at 60mph.

Actually it is a marketing ploy, albeit not at 60 mph. They pump popcorn smell to get you to try and buy popcorn, starting as you walk through the front gate. They pump candy smell next to the candy shop to get you to walk in and buy candy. And during Christmas time they pump candy cane smells to market the candy canes.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Actually it is a marketing ploy, albeit not at 60 mph. They pump popcorn smell to get you to try and buy popcorn, starting as you walk through the front gate. They pump candy smell next to the candy shop to get you to walk in and buy candy. And during Christmas time they pump candy cane smells to market the candy canes.
Maybe I don't see it as a marketing ploy because it doesn't work on me.

For the record, I'd rather smell whatever Disney pumps out over guest B.O.

Rich T

I get what you're saying, but I look at it differently obviously. Disney has been using smells in their parks in different ways since day 1. HM has dusty musky smell pumped in, Pirates has that damp dank smell pumped in, Soaring has all its smells pumped in. This is no different, it goes with the story they are trying to tell.
But you don't exit Pirates and have them trying to sell you air "fresheners" that smell like the ride.... anymore! (They did stop that, right?)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And I'm saying that putting three flat rides that provide the same kind of motion right next to each other is poor design and shows little concern for providing the guests with their money's worth of new experiences. Which sounds like DCA 1.0 all over again.

That I'll agree with, but that is more logistical. My argument was in trying to say they weren't spinner flat rides. Experience I can see means a lot of you.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But you don't exit Pirates and have them trying to sell you air "fresheners" that smell like the ride.... anymore! (They did stop that, right?)

I have to find the company, but I believe Disney might have partnered with a candle company to sell the smells of Disney attractions.

Rich T

That I'll agree with, but that is more logistical. My argument was in trying to say they weren't spinner flat rides. Experience I can see means a lot of you.
It does. See, if they got rid of the Mouse Swings and put a rocking pirate ship there... It would be another cheap, off-the-shelf ride, yes, but at least it would be a change-up from yet another hang-and-move-in-a-circle ride. Of the three rides Al Lutz liked to call "Monkey Buckets", Golden Zephyr should be the one that stays; it's a rarely seen (these days) ride style with historic significance as far as parks go.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It does. See, if they got rid of the Mouse Swings and put a rocking pirate ship there... It would be another cheap, off-the-shelf ride, yes, but at least it would be a change-up from yet another hang-and-move-in-a-circle ride. Of the three rides Al Lutz liked to call "Monkey Buckets", Golden Zephyr should be the one that stays; it's a rarely seen (these days) ride style with historic significance as far as parks go.

Because I have experience in working these type of rides as a teenager, albeit not at a Disney park, I use the classification system of ride type not experience.

Rich T

Because I have experience in working these type of rides as a teenager, albeit not at a Disney park...
Me, too. I'll always have a soft spot for the classic Trabant.
trabant.jpg

TROR

I like the swings. They're pretty. Same with Zephyrs. I will say the swings do offer a more thrilling experience than the zephyrs do so there is a slight difference in their experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom