News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
To me, this the problem of retro-fitting a "story" onto an attraction that didn't require one the first time. I highly doubt anyone who rode the original California Screamin' got off and thought, "you know, I liked it, but I wish it had some weak-@$$ narrative attached to it so I'd enjoy it more." Also, it could just be me, but the last thing I want after getting off a looped roller coaster is to go off and eat cookies...:hungover:

Agree %100. And I had a raised eyebrow about them selling cookies outside of a looped roller coaster queue and exit.

Annnnnnnd.... there it is. Screamin' has been trasnformed into a gigantic device to sell cookies.

It's all so crystal clear now.
Riiiigggghhhhtttt, they spent Millions to make Thousands off cookies. lol ;)

I wouldn't put it past Disney management to have cookies integrated into the story for purposes of subliminal advertising.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Think about it.

"Now that people take phone pictures of their ride photos, Screamin' doesn't produce income. Wait. What if we tempt riders into wanting a snack after they get off? If even one-quarter of the riders get off and spend $2.00 or more on a cookie..."

You *know* this conversation probably went down somewhere in Disney's hallowed offices. :D

Yes, it is ridiculous. And it is happening.

Very few Disney attractions produce actual income since the ticket books were done away with.

Ismael Flores

You're gonna be surprised, but I actually agree with you. Screamin' didn't NEED a story, really no roller coaster does. But I'm interested to see how the experience is first hand. A lot of things described on paper don't actually do justice to the actual first hand experience.

However I'll disagree about the cookies, after smelling them while mid-ride it'll be hard to say no.

I'm already craving some cookies. This will be the next hour long line and I'll be in it ;)

Hey if they can do it at Disneyland with the Dole whip advertising all over the tiki room why not on the Incredicoaster :)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm sorry, but... not only is this makeover stupid, now it's insulting as well. They're going to pummel rider's senses with cookie smells in an attempt to get people to buy cookies after riding.

This is what Disney is becoming. This is what they think of their IPs. It ain't pretty.

How is this any different than the smellizers used on Main St?

Rich T

You're trying to state experience makes them different types of ride systems, they aren't. They are both spinner flat rides, plain and simple. The experience might be different due to many factors like surroundings, theme, additional features, etc. But the end of the day the rides themselves at the core are the exact same thing. Just like Astro Jets, tea cups, and numerous others. They are all spinner flat rides.
I'm sorry, but I completely disagree. The motion and experience of Dumbo is far different from swing rides, and ESPECIALLY flats like the teacups, Mater's and the dozens of other types of flat rides. They produce completely different sensations. You've just lumped them all together as if saying all wheeled vehicles are the same experience. If you honestly think The Mad Tea Party and Flik's Flyers are the EXACT SAME THING, I gotta say... No. They're not.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I'll be real here.. if they sell some Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies straight out of the oven while it's still gooey and melting I don't mind the possibility of vomiting after riding Incredicoaster.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm sorry, but I completely disagree. The motion and experience of Dumbo is far different from swing rides, and ESPECIALLY flats like the teacups, Mater's and the dozens of other types of flat rides. They produce completely different sensations. You've just lumped them all together as if saying all wheeled vehicles are the same experience. If you honestly think The Mad Tea Party and Flik's Flyers are the EXACT SAME THING, I gotta say... No. They're not.

Driving a Ferrari and driving a VW bug are different experiences, but you don't say the Ferrari is not a car. They are the same classification of attraction.

Rich T

I'm already craving some cookies. This will be the next hour long line and I'll be in it ;)

Hey if they can do it at Disneyland with the Dole whip advertising all over the tiki room why not on the Incredicoaster :)
Okay. Well, let's start with the fact that Tiki Room has always had commerical ties. But they don't assault you with pineapple smells as part of the show.

But, I gotta ask you: You would REALLY wait an hour in line to pay too much money for a COOKIE???

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Okay. Well, let's start with the fact that Tiki Room has always had commerical ties. But they don't assault you with pineapple smells as part of the show.
You sure about that? I swear as I walk toward Tiki Room I smell pineapple.

But, I gotta ask you: You would REALLY wait an hour in line to pay too much money for a COOKIE???

Do you really have to ask this question. The answer is yes obviously to ANYTHING Disney offers its guests. Just look at the long lines at your favorite new soft serve shop on the pier.

Ismael Flores

Of course i wouldn't. reason for the ;)

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Driving a Ferrari and driving a VW bug are different experiences, but you don't say the Ferrari is not a car. They are the same classification of attraction.
I think what he's saying is that there's a difference between driving a Ferrari and riding a bicycle. While both are arguably the "same" in being wheeled-vehicles, you can't really compare the experiences. A ride experience where you're planted to the ground spinning madly in a circle is slightly different than one that takes you off the ground, but ultimately goes in a circle.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm saying not all flat rides are the same experience. At all.
(EDIT) This discussion just crashed my computer! :D

But different experiences don't make them different types of attractions. That is my point. A flat ride is a flat ride is a flat ride. They may provide different experiences but Dumbo and Flik's are the exact same type of attraction.

Rich T

You sure about that? I swear as I walk toward Tiki Room I smell pineapple.
That's actually from the Dole Whip stand.
I think.
Assuming the worst and that they did pump pineapple smell into/near the attraction... At least it fits the whole Hawaiian theme.
The idea on the coaster is that the Incredibles are trying to temp their baby with cookies. And you get to smell it. It's just stupid.

But I guess it could be worse. At least they're not going to flood the tunnels with soiled diaper smells.

Rich T

But different experiences don't make them different types of attractions. That is my point. A flat ride is a flat ride is a flat ride. They may provide different experiences but Dumbo and Flik's are the exact same type of attraction.
And I'm saying that putting three flat rides that provide the same kind of motion right next to each other is poor design and shows little concern for providing the guests with their money's worth of new experiences. Which sounds like DCA 1.0 all over again.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's actually from the Dole Whip stand.
I think.
Assuming the worst and that they did pump pineapple smell into/near the attraction... At least it fits the whole Hawaiian theme.
The idea on the coaster is that the Incredibles are trying to temp their baby with cookies. And you get to smell it. It's just stupid.

But I guess it could be worse. At least they're not going to flood the tunnels with soiled diaper smells.

I get what you're saying, but I look at it differently obviously. Disney has been using smells in their parks in different ways since day 1. HM has dusty musky smell pumped in, Pirates has that damp dank smell pumped in, Soaring has all its smells pumped in. This is no different, it goes with the story they are trying to tell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom