News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Animaniac93-98

The press releases on Pixar Pier set a new low for corporate messaging BS. It's just words, words, words. and there's apparently a rule that your quarterly bonus depends on how many times you can use the words "Inspired by", "beloved", "immersive" and "whimsical". You get double points towards your bonus for "Inspired by".

I think it's simply easier for the Blog Development Release Coordinator* to keep all press releases the same and just change the dates and nouns. ;)

*AKA unpaid college intern

nevol

Just watched a bunch of the videos of the press conference today for Pixar Pier.

Seems like the pixar attractions team equates names and characters with stories. They are telling zero stories but consider every single mention they can cram in there to be one.

Everything in the land, as we already know when considering the food carts, has been designed to be instagrammable. Disneyland is already the most instagrammed place on earth. This is because of good cinematic theme park design. Good composition. Good wienies. Good detail. It wasn't designed to be instagrammable but it is. Paradise Pier was already grammable, featuring mickeys fun wheel etc. Some of the architecture they're adding will be nice and photogenic, but much of what they mean by "instagrammable" is kitsch food stalls and hokey cardboard cutout characters guests can pose with.

Incredicoaster: The lead designer talked for 10 seconds about the use of triangles and circles. They'll have two murals near the station. No talk about the attraction, the scream tubes, the story. There is no "there" there. edit: micechat is saying that the baby jack jacks along the bunny hill portion of the ride are going to be real? I've seen no other evidence of that.

They talked endlessly about Lamplight Lounge. Management gave them the assignment of creating a gastro-pub, and they made it feel like an industrial warehouse. There was no creative freedom to pursue a more immersive experience like a Remy's by the sea. The assignment seemed strict likely because of the success of cove bar. Rather than creating something for guests, with guest experience in mind, they created something that would make a few pixar animators feel right at home, by dressing it up with a bunch of pixar archive material. They could have talked about the new menu for years. My take is that more effort went into this restaurant, the money maker of the pier, than the rest of the pier and the Incredicoaster E-ticket reskin combined.

Last edited:

felipenor

I realize that...but it's also its own thing. You already don't think people will care about the shoddiness of PP, but somehow they'll get upset about having two similarly stylized attractions in two separate parks??
I'm sure guests wouldn't mind, but I don't think it'd be much of a draw either. Disney would be spending millions of dollars on it when, from a company's point of view, they could be using for something that'd attract far bigger crowds.

lazyboy97o

I’m ready to talk about chicken bakes, burgers, and hot dogs again.

This project is something else. I really can’t. “Inspired by turn-of-the-century California boardwalks, but themed to Pixar.” Dafuq?

Buffoonery.
Isn’t this the kind of crap Disney threatened to do when Pixar said they were walking away from Disney? Maybe they can start up Circle 7 Studios again while they’re at it to help keep these franchises going.

Rich T

My roundabout point is, both parks have an appropriate place for these types of basic rides — and with little exception, we thankfully don’t see them elsewhere.
Fair enough, but my point is that Disney is being so cheap (or "budget conscious") and unimaginative that -- in a world where they can pick from a gazillion types of available flat ride types that do all kinds of different things (interweave, flip, go backwards, undulate, rock) they are saddling the Pier with three rides practically side by side that do the exact same thing: suspend riders and move in a gentle circle.

Flick's Mood Flyer Swing is actually a downgrade from Maliboomer. At least Maliboomer was a thrilling shot of adrenaline for that side of the Pier. It was hideous, but at least it didn't scream "this is what we're willing to spend creating an Inside Out attraction. All hail Our Recycling Skills."

Phroobar

I, for one, can't wait to buy an Incredicookie after riding Incredicoaster in the Incredihood.
giphy.gif

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Fair enough, but my point is that Disney is being so cheap (or "budget conscious") and unimaginative that -- in a world where they can pick from a gazillion types of available flat ride types that do all kinds of different things (interweave, flip, go backwards, undulate, rock) they are saddling the Pier with three rides practically side by side that do the exact same thing: suspend riders and move in a gentle circle.

Flick's Mood Flyer Swing is actually a downgrade from Maliboomer. At least Maliboomer was a thrilling shot of adrenaline for that side of the Pier. It was hideous, but at least it didn't scream "this is what we're willing to spend creating an Inside Out attraction. All hail Our Recycling Skills."

I think this is where looking at the larger plan for DCA would help you. But I look at it as they want to keep a certain number of little kid attractions. So with the loss of Bugs Land to Marvel transfer that same style ride over to the pier and give it a retheme. With the target being the little kids you don't have too many options, besides it being spinner. Plus we don't know what other things it will do.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I'm sure guests wouldn't mind, but I don't think it'd be much of a draw either. Disney would be spending millions of dollars on it when, from a company's point of view, they could be using for something that'd attract far bigger crowds.
While I unequivocally disagree with you, I am curious to know why you think Mystic Manor would not be a popular attraction for DLR.

dweezil78

Won't disagree with you there!

Rich T

I think this is where looking at the larger plan for DCA would help you. But I look at it as they want to keep a certain number of little kid attractions. So with the loss of Bugs Land to Marvel transfer that same style ride over to the pier and give it a retheme. With the target being the little kids you don't have too many options, besides it being spinner. Plus we don't know what other things it will do.
I see your point, but I do think Bug's Land was a mistake to begin with: Disney should build "family" rides (as they've done in DL), not "kiddie rides". Splitting rides into adult/kids is very Six Flags. If they do insist on going that route, though (and it's perfectly reasonable for DCA to carve its own niche and not copy DL) they could have installed a dumbo-type ride or a teacup-style ride -- But we all know this is happening because recycling is less expensive. And, again, a terrible representation of one of their best IPs. Beyond the awful pun of the name, what about this ride has anything at all to do with Inside Out?

You have a lot more faith in their Big Picture than I do, and I honestly hope you're right and I'm wrong about where this is all heading.

SSG

Also from MiceChat on the Incredicoaster. Spoilers ahead:

Here’s Disney’s point by point description of the attraction. . . final warning . . . major spoilers ahead:

Guests will step right into the world of “The Incredibles” as they discover they’ve been invited to the inaugural launch of the new Incredicoaster. In gratitude for their heroic efforts and incredible deeds, the citizens of Municiberg are dedicating their beloved roller coaster to the Incredibles. Of course, the family of supers are attending – Mr. and Mrs. Incredible, Violet, Dash and Jack-Jack – along with Edna Mode (exclusive super suit designer to the Incredibles).

With Edna and Jack-Jack being too short to ride the Incredicoaster, they have to wait for the rest of the Incredibles inside the VIP inauguration lounge. Things go awry, however, when the unpredictable Jack-Jack vanishes from Edna’s not-so-watchful eye. As a polymorph with a wild variety of powers, Jack-Jack creates chaos along the track while his Incredible family sprints into action to save the day.

Incredicoaster Scenes:

Straight away, Dash sprints into action in an attempt to catch Jack-Jack, launching guests on the adventure with him. As the coaster zooms through the first tunnel, Jack-Jack shoots blue laser beams from his eyes and Dash uses his super speed to avoid being hit.

During the climb into the second tunnel, guests find that Elastigirl has jumped in to assist. Stretching herself flat against the tunnel walls (Editor note: 53 feet of her in all), she reaches out with both arms in an attempt to grab her baby boy. Then the aroma of chocolate chip cookies wafts through the tunnel and, as the coaster plunges downward, guests see that Mr. Incredible has punched through the side of the tube holding a cookie to lure Jack-Jack out of another dimension.

In the third tunnel, guests find Jack-Jack joyfully aflame. Violet jumps in to save the Incredicoaster riders by shooting her purple force field up the tunnel, shielding guests from the raging fire. As the coaster zooms safely out of the tunnel, it sprints over a series of humps, and guests see a cluster of Jack-Jacks in mid-air, giggling and multiplying.

As riders circle through the final helix, they hear the voice of Edna Mode telling the family that Jack-Jack has returned to her, safe and sound. As the track straightens out, riders return to a chaotic and messy VIP lounge with one last surprise that guests are sure to enjoy.

IMG_8300-1.jpg

Jack Jack has new powers that are revealed in the Incredibles 2 which we’ll see on the ride, including the use of lasers. And are those cookies you smell on the ride? Yep! No baby can resist a good cookie, and the Incredibles attempt to lure Jack Jack with cookie num nums.

Jack Jack multiplies near the humps on the coaster with a flock of babies giggling as we bounce over the bumps in the track.

IMG_8298-1.jpg

And if you exit the ride wishing you had some of those cookies you smelled on the ride, you’ll have an opportunity to buy what look like delicious hot deep dish brown butter chocolate chip cookies at Jack Jack’s Cookie Num Nums, located in the former ride photo building at the exit of the attraction. I’d take cookies over a gift shop any day!

IMG_8304-1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom