News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think you're missing the point. And it blows my mind that you don't think it's any different today.

First , no one is saying Disneyland shouldn't promote its other divisions.

Second, no one is saying that cross promotion didn't always exist within the company. You can't deny its always been there.

Cross promotion makes good business sense. When you go to the parks, it makes sense to see Disney characters from movies. They are Disney characters, and it is Disneyland.

Just like when I go see a Disney movie, it makes sense that I'll see a Disney parks commercial and other Disney trailers before the movie begins. Makes sense, right?

Cross promotion = more $ for the business.

But there are stark contrasts today compared to Walt's time.

Walt had Zorro's success he wanted to promote at Disneyland. Did he make a Zorroland or a Zorro ride? No. He didn't. He held special events in a land that he fit into that was built before the Zorro fame all on its own merit. Nothing was built or altered or copied just because of the show success.
Think of it this way, imagine if Disney decided to only have original park content , no more IP based rides, BUT their movie division existed solely to promote the park's content. So movies were only made if they were copies of a park ride. No more original movies, or movies based on books or comics, nothing. If it's not a ride at Disneyland, it's not being made into a movie. That would get old real fast, wouldn't it?

No I got the point, but I think you've missed mine.

While it was a different time, promotion is still promotion. Yes promotion today is different than in Walt's day, never said it wasn't.
But in Walt's day Disneyland was in its infancy, so it HAD to be cross-promoted or it'd be just another regional amusement park. And what better way than programs produced by Disney for ABC. Its just now they only promoted the parks in limited ways and typically WDW is shown when they do it.

Also since he only lived for the first 11 years of Disneyland we don't know what he'd do if he had more time. For all we know he would have built a Cat from Outer Space attraction, or a Herbie the Love Bug attraction (which was actually considered at one point in the 70s). Or maybe he'd built an entire land dedicated to Witch Mountain. We just don't know.

I get how original content attractions are wanted by a lot in the fandom. But at this point there has been more time with IP in the parks than Walt was alive working on Disneyland. However I have always said, and I will continue to say, there will be a time when original attractions are built again. Will Disneyland get some of those original attractions, don't know because of the limited space. But the other parks like WDW will likely receive them.

lazyboy97o

However I have always said, and I will continue to say, there will be a time when original attractions are built again. Will Disneyland get some of those original attractions, don't know because of the limited space. But the other parks like WDW will likely receive them.
The CEO of The Walt Disney Company has publicly stated that there will be no original attraction investments in parks the company controls.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The CEO of The Walt Disney Company has publicly stated that there will be no original attraction investments in parks the company controls.

First, I don't think he said never again as in this is our decision forever. So as the tides in the industry and consumer tastes changes, so do the decision making on content for the parks. Second, I believe what he was referring to was that Disney has plenty of content that it wants to promote first. Third, Iger isn't always going to be the CEO.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Hey guys, I have a confession to make....

View attachment 280943

Yeeaaaahhhh. So that’s me and my Pixar pal, the alien popcorn bucket on Indiana Jones.

Ok don’t judge. To be fair we had no intention of buying this. We walked into DCA Wednesday morning- my wife saw it and I told her about the refill situation. She decided to wait in line to buy one while I went on Soarin with my cousin and his girlfriend. She waited a solid 40 minutes in line but over 2 days we probably got 5 refills and will undoubtedly get a lot more use out of it over the next couple months. They were all over the place at DCA Wednesday. At Disneyland yesterday they were nowhere to be found and a hot commodity with people asking where we got it all day long. Sooooooo... I took it on the ride with me because I didn’t trust leaving it on the stroller.

SIDE NOTE: this popcorn bucket entertained my son for hours. He’s really into the Toy Story trilogy right now.
I don't even know you anymore...

giphy.gif

...JK bud. We still cool.

Curious Constance

No I got the point, but I think you've missed mine.

While it was a different time, promotion is still promotion. Yes promotion today is different than in Walt's day, never said it wasn't.
But in Walt's day Disneyland was in its infancy, so it HAD to be cross-promoted or it'd be just another regional amusement park. And what better way than programs produced by Disney for ABC. Its just now they only promoted the parks in limited ways and typically WDW is shown when they do it.

Also since he only lived for the first 11 years of Disneyland we don't know what he'd do if he had more time. For all we know he would have built a Cat from Outer Space attraction, or a Herbie the Love Bug attraction (which was actually considered at one point in the 70s). Or maybe he'd built an entire land dedicated to Witch Mountain. We just don't know.

I get how original content attractions are wanted by a lot in the fandom. But at this point there has been more time with IP in the parks than Walt was alive working on Disneyland. However I have always said, and I will continue to say, there will be a time when original attractions are built again. Will Disneyland get some of those original attractions, don't know because of the limited space. But the other parks like WDW will likely receive them.
I don't see how your point that Walt HAD to do it because the parks weren't popular enough or he didn't have enough money does anything to further strengthen your opinion. In my point of view it strengthens mine more so.
Fine. So Walt had to do it as a necessity more than a desire. He had no choice. He didn't have an unlimited supply of money like current Disney does. But when he did build new lands, they were things like New Orleans Square and Andentureland and Frontierland. Not things like Star Wars Land and Marvel Land and Frozen Land and Cars Land.

Walt preferred original, innovative, and unique. But he did what he had to do to stay afloat. Today's Disney has every option, yet they still choose to copy and dumb down at every turn.

And you never answered my question. Would you be okay with a Disney movie studios that existed solely to pimp the parks?

Curious Constance

He probably didn’t build a zorro land because he had no money. Most of his promotional stunts were made because he saw them as a source of revenue to his cash crunch. It is the same reason he farmed out his team to the studio and ABC to help build television sets and why he also farmed his team out to help produce and create episodes for things like zorro.
In the same sense that is why he worked with ABC. So that he could promote their shows in the park for income

It really is not much different except for the fact that nowninstead of just using the parks to promote other studio content they are using them to promote their own. They also do not need to worry about money because now they do have those billions to build a land instead of just a simple promotion.
By the way those promotional stunts done by Disney were very effective because they were broadcast. It was a simpler time when the idea of such promotional stunts on tv were a big deal that caused families to gather and watch it. Then afterwards go out and buy those zorro outfits for the kids.
It was a Walt using the same tactics as today but but on a budget and with a format that worked in the 50’s -60’s

Actually looking back it was a tactic used by every studio and major corporation. Does anyone ven remember a major show that did have a promotional commercial tagged to it?
Almost every show was basically a 1/2 commercial for something

I would guess that if he had the money he would have built many more things that were based off his animation studio. Instead he filled tomorrowland with attractions based on corporate sponsors promoting their product
He built several lands. None of them were strictly confined to one movie or tv show.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't see how your point that Walt HAD to do it because the parks weren't popular enough or he didn't have enough money does anything to further strengthen your opinion. In my point of view it strengthens mine more so.
Fine. So Walt had to do it as a necessity more than a desire. He had no choice. He didn't have an unlimited supply of money like current Disney does. But when he did build new lands, they were things like New Orleans Square and Andentureland and Frontierland. Not things like Star Wars Land and Marvel Land and Frozen Land and Cars Land.

Walt preferred original, innovative, and unique. But he did what he had to do to stay afloat. Today's Disney has every option, yet they still choose to copy and dumb down at every turn.

And you never answered my question. Would you be okay with a Disney movie studios that existed solely to pimp the parks?

My point is that it while the reasons are different, promotion is still promotion. Some of the initial land ideas for Disneyland were centered shows, for example Mickey Mouse Club was the initial idea for TSI. They would have shot the show right in the park.

As for your question, it would depend on the films. For example I actually had no issues with the PotC movies. I'm looking forward to the Jungle Cruise movie with Dwayne Johnson. The parks have been used as a basis or directly referenced recently in books, in TV shows, and movies. So while its not like Walt did it, they are being used. Most of it just happens to be geared toward the younger audience.

Curious Constance

My point is that it while the reasons are different, promotion is still promotion. Some of the initial land ideas for Disneyland were centered shows, for example Mickey Mouse Club was the initial idea for TSI. They would have shot the show right in the park.

As for your question, it would depend on the films. For example I actually had no issues with the PotC movies. I'm looking forward to the Jungle Cruise movie with Dwayne Johnson. The parks have been used as a basis or directly referenced recently in books, in TV shows, and movies. So while its not like Walt did it, they are being used. Most of it just happens to be geared toward the younger audience.
So you're saying depending on the films, you'd be fine with no other Marvel or Star Wars or original movies ever being made again if Disney did to the movie studios what they are doing to the parks?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So you're saying depending on the films, you'd be fine with no other Marvel or Star Wars or original movies ever being made again if Disney did to the movie studios what they are doing to the parks?

If we're talking about a fantasy world when in reality this would never happen, but yes. You obviously don't know me. I go to the movies at least once a week, So YEAH I would be fine with it because I would see the movies anyways.

Curious Constance

If we're talking about a fantasy world when in reality this would never happen, but yes. You obviously don't know me. I go to the movies at least once a week, So YEAH I would be fine with it because I would see the movies anyways.
That's about as believable as you trying to say you were joking and didn't really believe that all of the Pixar movies are connected after arguing for ten pages that they were. o_O

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's about as believable as you trying to say you were joking and didn't really believe that all of the Pixar movies are connected after arguing for ten pages that they were. o_O

Well no offense, but I don't really care if you believe me or not. Sometimes I like to engage in conversation because I believe in the topic, and sometimes its because I just like to stir the pot and inject some outside information.

But I really do go to the movies once a week, and would be fine going to see Disney attraction movies if that is all they put out. And I really don't believe the Pixar movies are all connection (I just thought it was an interesting idea).

Curious Constance

Well no offense, but I don't really care if you believe me or not. Sometimes I like to engage in conversation because I believe in the topic, and sometimes its because I just like to stir the pot and inject some outside information.

But I really do go to the movies once a week, and would be fine going to see Disney attraction movies if that is all they put out. And I really don't believe the Pixar movies are all connection (I just thought it was an interesting idea).
Son, I didn't want to do it, but I've had to take away all of your street cred. I'm sorry.

Ismael Flores

At that time though was there any such thing as franchise that could have been built?
There was no such thing as Star Wars, marvel or Pixar but the was a high affinity for westerns and pirate movies. So even though the attractions were unique the themes of those lands and attractions were not. They were what was popular at the time.
That is the reason he built a whole area devoted to cowboys and Indians and the Wild West.
Later when pirate stories became popular pirates were added.
Even fantasyland was built as a huge promotional land for work he had done or was working on.
Even tomorrowland was conceived because space exploration and the possibility of new technology was popular at the time and with the help of huge investors he brought to life that fascination of technology while still creating attractions that were basically commercials for those companies.

Are those attractions we call original ideas really original? If you look at the times they were built from opening day well into Walt’s life were based on what was popular then.
Just like the new additions like Star Wars, Pixar, marvel are big and popular at this time.
Before you saw people dressed like cowboys and Indians and or pirates now they walk around Carey light sabers and capes

TROR

Before you saw people dressed like cowboys and Indians and or pirates now they walk around Carey light sabers and capes
This is a flawed outlook. The western is a greater theme that encompasses Davy Crockett, Zorro, as well as original ideas. It capitalizes on the success of those properties while not handcuffing itself to them. It's why a science-fi fantasy land would work better for Star Wars than a Star Wars land or why a superhero land would work better than a Marvel land. It allows for the freedom to expand beyond just the singular franchise while, at the same time, capitalizing on their success.

vancee

Hey guys, I have a confession to make....

View attachment 280943

Yeeaaaahhhh. So that’s me and my Pixar pal, the alien popcorn bucket on Indiana Jones.

Ok don’t judge. To be fair we had no intention of buying this. We walked into DCA Wednesday morning- my wife saw it and I told her about the refill situation. She decided to wait in line to buy one while I went on Soarin with my cousin and his girlfriend. She waited a solid 40 minutes in line but over 2 days we probably got 5 refills and will undoubtedly get a lot more use out of it over the next couple months. They were all over the place at DCA Wednesday. At Disneyland yesterday they were nowhere to be found and a hot commodity with people asking where we got it all day long. Sooooooo... I took it on the ride with me because I didn’t trust leaving it on the stroller.

SIDE NOTE: this popcorn bucket entertained my son for hours. He’s really into the Toy Story trilogy right now.
can u pls do me a favor and next time u go and inspect pixar pier, buy me one because i don’t go back until late june. bob chapek said he will pay you with 10,000 alien buckets!!

Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom