News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Professortango1

Hi, Tango -- no, nothing wrong with a film being called a fairy tale. But a book stating that's what Walt did when he only made three feature films based on old, established fairy tales is just flat out error. He made fantasy films, but even beyond that, he pushed the idea of animation as metaphor, and even beyond *that*, pushed the medium into places no one comprehended or thought possible. Here's something casual film fans or even casual Disney fans don't really think about...Walt took animation from "Steamboat Willie" in September of 1928 to Snow White in December of 1937. (gets out calculator) That's 109 months. Let that sink in. 109 months. It's extraordinary. Mind-blowing how far he took the medium in less than a decade, with the triumphs of Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi (and yeah, I'll say it) The Three Caballeros waiting in the wings. These are monumental achievements. Nomenclature maybe isn't important, but to the extent people regard "fairy tales" as material for children, I go with Fantasy films, or even take the deeper dive with groundbreaking cinema. We all live in the wake of those films, they deserve far more respect than is usally afforded to them, hence my annoyance when they are described in ways that are limiting -- or to use a loaded word, marginalized. Yes, these films are fantasies. So are films like The Exorcist, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, even The Godfather. Disney's films stand tall with the best of American cinema. Even in the rare instances where he produced films based on very, very old *fairy tales*, the skill, ambition, craft, execution, and the balls to tell those stories in new ways is breathtaking. So I bristle when people describe his work inaccurately. As Ebert once said, I don't even consider it an error of opinion ("Meh, they're kids films..."), I consider it an error of fact.

Let's not pretend that Disney introduced us to the first feature length animated picture. His accomplishments were great, but there were many others before him.

And he didn't make just three films based on old fairy tales. First, let's define Fairy Tales.

noun
noun: fairy tale; plural noun: fairy tales; noun: fairytale; plural noun: fairytales; noun: fairy story; plural noun: fairy stories
  1. a children's story about magical and imaginary beings and lands.
    synonyms:folk tale, folk story, traditional story, myth, legend, fantasy, fable
    "the movie was inspired by a fairy tale"
    • denoting something regarded as resembling a fairy story in being magical, idealized, or extremely happy.

As we see by definition, a fairy tale can also be a myth, legend, fable, or folk tale.

Snow White - Based upon Grimm Fairy Tale
Pinocchio - Based upon old fantasy book, considered a Fairy Tale
Fantasia - Several sequences harken back to old Fairy Tales and mythology
Song of the South - Inspired by folk tales
Melody Time - Contains segments based upon American Folk Tales
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - Ichabod based upon old American Folk Story
Cinderella - Based upon the Perrault Fairy Tale
Alice in Wonderland - Considered a Fairy Tale by many
Sleeping Beauty - Very Loosely based upon the Perrault Fairy Tale
The Sword in the Stone - Based upon the King Arthur Legend
Robin Hood - Based Upon the Robin Hood Legend

Disneylover152

WHY WHEN YOU SEARCH DISNEYLAND RESORT ON GOOGLE THIS IS WHAT COMES UP!?!!

Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 3.34.36 PM.png

Look at what's above "Wikipedia"...

Curious Constance

I like how people have a romanticized version of history.

While I get your point, however Zorro was introduced on the Disneyland Fourth Anniversary show. So while the marketing was less obvious back in the early days, it was still a direct result of Walt promoting every aspect of the company. The shows promoted the parks, the parks promoted the shows and movies, and back again. So while Frontierland may have not been created specifically because of Zorro, Walt and the company did use it to promote all his western themed shows. And since a new medium was created in the parks, there was little opportunity for x to be created because of y.

Its not really any different today, except the parks don't need to be promoted anymore.

I think you're missing the point. And it blows my mind that you don't think it's any different today.

First , no one is saying Disneyland shouldn't promote its other divisions.

Second, no one is saying that cross promotion didn't always exist within the company. You can't deny its always been there.

Cross promotion makes good business sense. When you go to the parks, it makes sense to see Disney characters from movies. They are Disney characters, and it is Disneyland.

Just like when I go see a Disney movie, it makes sense that I'll see a Disney parks commercial and other Disney trailers before the movie begins. Makes sense, right?

Cross promotion = more $ for the business.

But there are stark contrasts today compared to Walt's time.

Walt had Zorro's success he wanted to promote at Disneyland. Did he make a Zorroland or a Zorro ride? No. He didn't. He held special events in a land that he fit into that was built before the Zorro fame all on its own merit. Nothing was built or altered or copied just because of the show success.
Think of it this way, imagine if Disney decided to only have original park content , no more IP based rides, BUT their movie division existed solely to promote the park's content. So movies were only made if they were copies of a park ride. No more original movies, or movies based on books or comics, nothing. If it's not a ride at Disneyland, it's not being made into a movie. That would get old real fast, wouldn't it?

mickEblu

Hey guys, I have a confession to make....

F1CB5DD9-EB26-4A62-8847-D18349DC625B.jpeg

Yeeaaaahhhh. So that’s me and my Pixar pal, the alien popcorn bucket on Indiana Jones.

Ok don’t judge. To be fair we had no intention of buying this. We walked into DCA Wednesday morning- my wife saw it and I told her about the refill situation. She decided to wait in line to buy one while I went on Soarin with my cousin and his girlfriend. She waited a solid 40 minutes in line but over 2 days we probably got 5 refills and will undoubtedly get a lot more use out of it over the next couple months. They were all over the place at DCA Wednesday. At Disneyland yesterday they were nowhere to be found and a hot commodity with people asking where we got it all day long. Sooooooo... I took it on the ride with me because I didn’t trust leaving it on the stroller.

SIDE NOTE: this popcorn bucket entertained my son for hours. He’s really into the Toy Story trilogy right now.

Kiwiduck

View attachment 280943

Yeeaaaahhhh. So that’s me and my Pixar pal, the alien popcorn bucket on Indiana Jones.

Ok don’t judge. To be fair we had no intention of buying this. We walked into DCA Wednesday morning- my wife saw it and I told her about the refill situation. She decided to wait in line to buy one while I went on Soarin with my cousin and his girlfriend. She waited a solid 40 minutes in line but over 2 days we probably got 5 refills and will undoubtedly get a lot more use out of it over the next couple months. They were all over the place at DCA Wednesday. At Disneyland yesterday they were nowhere to be found and a hot commodity with people asking where we got it all day long. Sooooooo... I took it on the ride with because I didn’t trust leaving it on the stroller.

SIDE NOTE: this popcorn bucket entertained my son for hours. He’s really into the Toy Story trilogy right now.
Seriously, I know you are half joking but you don't owe anyone an explanation or apology for buying a popcorn bucket. Your money, your choice.

Curious Constance

View attachment 280943

Ok don’t judge. To be fair we had no intention of buying this. We walked into DCA Wednesday morning- my wife saw it and I told her about the refill situation. She decided to wait in line to buy one while I went on Soarin with my cousin and his girlfriend. She waited a solid 40 minutes in line but over 2 days we probably got 5 refills and will undoubtedly get a lot more use out of it over the next couple months. They were all over the place at DCA Wednesday. At Disneyland yesterday they were nowhere to be found and a hot commodity with people asking where we got it all day long. Sooooooo... I took it on the ride with me because I didn’t trust leaving it on the stroller.

*sharp, slow intake of breath*

Ismael Flores

I think you're missing the point. And it blows my mind that you don't think it's any different today.

First , no one is saying Disneyland shouldn't promote its other divisions.

Second, no one is saying that cross promotion didn't always exist within the company. You can't deny its always been there.
Cross promotion makes good business sense. When you go to the parks, it makes sense to see Disney characters from movies. They are Disney characters, and it is Disneyland.

Just like when I go see a Disney movie, it makes sense that I'll see a Disney parks commercial and other Disney trailers before the movie begins. Makes sense, right?

Cross promotion = more $ for the business.

But there are stark contrasts today compared to Walt's time.

Walt had Zorro's success he wanted to promote at Disneyland. Did he make a Zorroland or a Zorro ride? No. He didn't. He held special events in a land that he fit into that was built before the Zorro fame all on its own merit. Nothing was built or altered or copied just because of the show success.
Think of it this way, imagine if Disney decided to only have original park content , no more IP based rides, BUT their movie division existed solely to promote the park's content. So movies were only made if they were copies of a park ride. No more original movies, or movies based on books or comics, nothing. If it's not a ride at Disneyland, it's not being made into a movie. That would get old real fast, wouldn't it?

He probably didn’t build a zorro land because he had no money. Most of his promotional stunts were made because he saw them as a source of revenue to his cash crunch. It is the same reason he farmed out his team to the studio and ABC to help build television sets and why he also farmed his team out to help produce and create episodes for things like zorro.
In the same sense that is why he worked with ABC. So that he could promote their shows in the park for income

It really is not much different except for the fact that nowninstead of just using the parks to promote other studio content they are using them to promote their own. They also do not need to worry about money because now they do have those billions to build a land instead of just a simple promotion.
By the way those promotional stunts done by Disney were very effective because they were broadcast. It was a simpler time when the idea of such promotional stunts on tv were a big deal that caused families to gather and watch it. Then afterwards go out and buy those zorro outfits for the kids.
It was a Walt using the same tactics as today but but on a budget and with a format that worked in the 50’s -60’s

Actually looking back it was a tactic used by every studio and major corporation. Does anyone ven remember a major show that did have a promotional commercial tagged to it?
Almost every show was basically a 1/2 commercial for something

I would guess that if he had the money he would have built many more things that were based off his animation studio. Instead he filled tomorrowland with attractions based on corporate sponsors promoting their product

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

He probably didn’t build a zorro land because he had no money. Most of his promotional stunts were made because he saw them as a source of revenue to his cash crunch. It is the same reason he farmed out his team to the studio and ABC to help build television sets and why he also farmed his team out to help produce and create episodes for things like zorro.
In the same sense that is why he worked with ABC. So that he could promote their shows in the park for income

It really is not much different except for the fact that nowninstead of just using the parks to promote other studio content they are using them to promote their own. They also do not need to worry about money because now they do have those billions to build a land instead of just a simple promotion.
By the way those promotional stunts done by Disney were very effective because they were broadcast. It was a simpler time when the idea of such promotional stunts on tv were a big deal that caused families to gather and watch it. Then afterwards go out and buy those zorro outfits for the kids.
It was a Walt using the same tactics as today but but on a budget and with a format that worked in the 50’s -60’s

Actually looking back it was a tactic used by every studio and major corporation. Does anyone ven remember a major show that did have a promotional commercial tagged to it?
Almost every show was basically a 1/2 commercial for something

I would guess that if he had the money he would have built many more things that were based off his animation studio. Instead he filled tomorrowland with attractions based on corporate sponsors promoting their product
The money was there to build a land. As more money was made the parks division focused more and more on creating their own content. This idea that Walt couldn’t think up the idea to only repeat himself is just bollucks.

Practical Pig

View attachment 280943

Your Pixar pal doesn't seem to be enjoying his view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom