News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

mickEblu

Intamins are some of the smoothest coasters on the planet. They age better than b&ms, which all start to rattle after about 20/25 years. their looping coasters almost all have over the shoulder restraints. Some of the newer ones have these wider things that are more like handle bars but that is rare from them. They build a lot of very intense coasters, and that's their specialty. While millennium force, a giga, has a lap bar and doesnt go upside down, their newer coasters are actually so intense, like Intimidator 305, that they too have over the shoulder restraints. See also anything they do at Ferrari world in dubai, Maverick at cedar point. They built top thrill dragster with lap bars but then kingda ka, basically the same ride, with over the shoulder restraints. skyrush at hersheypark has lapbars but also a completely different track configuration and some of the most intense and painful negative Gs on the planet. Superman: The Escape used to have lap bars. when they reversed the trains, they installed over the shoulder restraints.

Some coaster manufacturers are making looping coasters without over the shoulder restraints now. B&M is inching their megas into inversion territory only slightly with overbanked turns, and Rocky Mountain Construction has lapbars with shin guards for two points of contact as well as seat belts. The load time and capacity is hindered by having to check 2 restraints on those rides.

Long story short, the trains for screamin/incredicoaster are fine. They were designed for that ride and while the industry trends toward ditching shoulder restraints, intamin hasn't; they've actually put shoulder harnesses on ride types that typically don't use them. The trains fit the track like a glove and after almost 20 years, the ride is still incredibly smooth. Its banking is perfectly calculated so that for the most part, you are pulling perfect positive G's and pressed into your seat rather than side to side. There isn't any head banging so no major reason to get rid of the harnesses. No need for new trains other than a desire for a new style. New trains could be smoother and more trustworthy because they are brand new, but that doesn't mean they have to be a new model of train. Vekoma and arrow dynamics' trains' wheels dont even fit on their tracks, which is why the trains bang around so much and transfer those collisions to riders heads against the shoulder restraints. Not only would vekomas space mountain: mission 2 trains not fit on intamin track, they would likely be way worse for the guest comfort.

Finally, I'm fairly certain the loop was completely replaced. Disney actually announced that they were changing the launch and the loop, that isn't speculation, and it isn't the same as them removing it to modify the circle backdrop on screamin. I've always noticed that the loop was super rough and rattled. The loop could be identical, which would indicate that it had just surpassed its life expectancy (which doesn't make sense, given that the rest of the ride is the same). Incredible Hulk at IOA was completely retracked and dueling dragons thrown out this year because those b&ms, in daily operation with no off season, hit their life expectancy. (Most older b&m's at regional parks have seasonal operating schedules so they don't have to come down.) It could be that they modified the supports or the track profile to de-stress it. That loop was always actually very forceful, even for traditional vertical loops. It has a pretty stable diameter, and this could have been done to ensure that riders would still be experiencing positive G's at its top to so as not to scare them, but it made the entrance and exit of that loop pull really intense positive g's. I thiink they might have made the loop taller to give riders' bodies a moment of rest at the top before they level back out, the way arrow dynamics intended for vertical loops to feel when they started designing more of them back in the 70s.

Wow I’m impressed with your coaster knowledge. How do you feel about traditional loops? I’m not really a fan. They re all show, stop the momentum and just not very fun. Now inversions/ loops on smooth coasters like say Tatsu or Riddlers Revenge (in its hay day) are a lot of fun. I guess the more traditional loops always seem rickety and stop some of the momentum.

For me it’s all about the drops. Something I wish Space Mountain had more of.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Long story short, the trains for screamin/incredicoaster are fine. They were designed for that ride and while the industry trends toward ditching shoulder restraints, intamin hasn't; they've actually put shoulder harnesses on ride types that typically don't use them. The trains fit the track like a glove and after almost 20 years, the ride is still incredibly smooth. Its banking is perfectly calculated so that for the most part, you are pulling perfect positive G's and pressed into your seat rather than side to side. There isn't any head banging so no major reason to get rid of the harnesses. No need for new trains other than a desire for a new style. New trains could be smoother and more trustworthy because they are brand new, but that doesn't mean they have to be a new model of train. Vekoma and arrow dynamics' trains' wheels dont even fit on their tracks, which is why the trains bang around so much and transfer those collisions to riders heads against the shoulder restraints. Not only would vekomas space mountain: mission 2 trains not fit on intamin track, they would likely be way worse for the guest comfort.

This is what I figured. Thanks for the more in-depth explanation.

nevol

Wow I’m impressed with your coaster knowledge. How do you feel about traditional loops? I’m not really a fan. They re all show, stop the momentum and just not very fun. Now inversions/ loops on smooth coasters like say Tatsu or Riddlers Revenge (in its hay day) are a lot of fun. I guess the more traditional loops always seem rickety and stop some of the momentum.

For me it’s all about the drops. Something I wish Space Mountain had more of.
Not a fan. Totally unimpressive element. Screamin just has a loop as a rite of passage for younger guests. The element doesn't actually deliver anything to guests they can't feel elsewhere on the ride except now it is upside down. Arrow dynamics just made corkscrews and vertical loops. The corkscrews are really poorly profiled and the trains don't fit the tracks so you get you feel like an nfl player on them. Their vertical loops are the only smooth thing those rides can do because they dont change direction, but that doesn't make them fun. They also built all of their loops roughly the same size, and depending on the speed of the ride, just placed them higher in the air! Check out Shockwave at six flags great america or Viper at magic mountain to see what I'm talking about. Compare that to the b&m loop on Scream! or riddlers revenge that start at the ground. Larger loops on b&m's like riddlers revenge are really fun, but not because they're intense. They are so big that you feel like you are flying. no defensive riding, plenty of weightlessness at the top. Space mountain is more intense than most b&m looping coasters. There, I said it. Its finale is a family friendly version of Goliath at Magic Mountain's helix.

I don't mid going upside down but my favorite kinds of rides have good pacing, rapid transitions, tons of airtime. airtime airtime airtime. A ride that is just about going upside down a lot isn't fun because it's just a kit of parts of pre-designed inversions. intamin mega coasters, RMCs, B&M inverts from the 90s are my favorite. I like "defensive riding." Maverick is a prime example. The rides so intense you have to hold your handle bars and brace yourself to get through it. That and mega coasters where you are exposed and its all about the sensation of flying, but go too far in that direction and leave the forces or airtime out, and you have a dud.

I grew up on Six Flags Great America, Great Adventure, Magic Mountain. Cedar point. went to universal orlando IOA as a teenager and loved hulk and dueling dragons, stupidly skipped spiderman. Now I could care less. I've lived in Socal for 3 years and havent gone to magic mountain yet. I've been on millennium force, top thrill dragster, goliath at great america, maverick, El Toro at great adventure (was so good I walked out of great adventure without going on anything else once), and new texas giant (another RMC), and I actually love space mountain and screamin. Screamin is sufficiently fast and it actually has really good airtime out over the first hill and the drop after the loop/trim breaks. Good pacing all the way through while a lot of bigger baddier rides die after their first few elements or mid course break run. Space Mountain, despite going only like 35 mph, is an incredible coaster. While I wish it had more airtime to play up the vulnerability in the dark and outer space, its actually super intense. the entire show building radius is 220 feet and most of those turns are suuuper small radii. Super strong positive Gs and the banking is intentionally less than optimal to give riders strong lateral Gs that throw their bodies toward the wall (whereas screamin's are perfect so you don't bang your head). I gray out on the last right and final left turn into the break runs.

I used to be a coaster fanatic but I've lost interest. There is so much more depth to theme park design.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

There's too much I like about Disneyland to put into a list, though. Definitely some high points are its romantic look at American history, the feeling of being completely enclosed within the park which you really can't find at any other park in the US, and the boundaries its pushed in terms of both general theme park design (Hub and spoke, wienie, grand dark rides like POTC) as well as technology (Audio-animatronics, first steel roller coaster, Indiana Jones Adventure ride vehicles).

You didn't really answer my question, but I appreciate the response.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ure-park/?CMP=SOC-DPFY18Q2wo0419180425180027C

The Fun Wheel will become the Pixar Pal-Around

1524676726247.png

1524676746082.png

1524676772311.png

D

Deleted member 107043

What more would you like? Attractions I enjoy? Favorite areas of the parks?

What current (as in contemporary) things have they done in past decade or so do you like/enjoy? For example I'm a big fan of Paint the Night. Also a visit to the Carthay Circle Bar has been a highlight of every visit to DLR since it opened.

disneylandcm

What a stupid name. And let’s be clear: this is not a reimagining of a ride, it’s an exterior redecoration. The experience of the ride from within the gondola is the same whether it looks like the Sun Wheel, Mickey’s Fun Wheel or the Pixar Pal-Around no matter what a press release wants us to think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom