News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

DisneyRoxMySox

I know the conversation went down a DLR hotel path and I wanted to chime in.

I think a driver behind the addition of the new, theme TBD, four star property on the DtD parking lot is to add more DVC rooms.

Due to the star rating, I think there's a possibility of a full conversion of the Grand Cal to full DVC. The east coast has taught us Parks and Resort and DVC love conversions. The second possibility and I think the leader is the demolition of PPH to add the DVC property.In the end the amount of hotel rooms remains about the same and DVC rooms increase.

My dream would also add a 4th tower, the Tomorroland tower to DLH.

--

By the way, I have taken a keen interest in DLR and its ongoing more so than WDW as of late. I find I like DLR a lot better. I enjoy the banter in these threads y'all seem like a good group of peeps.

George Lucas on a Bench

As for the app showing the Mickey wheel, it doesn't mean anything. That's how it is now why wouldn't they use it? They were also using the MGM Studios Mickey water tower in paraphernalia a few years back.

D.Silentu

The original DCA logo clearly featured a bear, however the real life version is definitely open to interpretation. Legend has it, that it cursed the land, which is why the park struggles to find its identity to this very day!

Last edited:

TP2000

This is a great point! I grew up on the East coast and vacationed at several beaches all alone the coast line. When I moved to Oregon I couldn't believe it. Holy scenery!!!! If you think CA beaches are nice you should see Oregon!!!!

I have vacationed on the Oregon Coast many times. A few decades ago I got into an argument with my dentist in Boston who tried to tell me Oregon was a landlocked state somewhere near Colorado and the West Coast was made up entirely of California. This was a successful dentist with a practice in a stylish neighborhood and who allegedly graduated high school and then four years of college before going to dental school.

I hated living in Boston.

Oregon's coast is stunning, for 300+ miles, and I think Oregon nudges out Washington state to the north for jaw-dropping coastline.
IMG_7560.jpg

Paul Pressler is a native New Yorker. Ever since I first visited DCA in 2001 and saw the lame, cheap attempt at "beach" that just looks like a wimpy, lifeless beach in New Jersey or South Carolina to me, I have been convinced Barry Braverman didn't know any better and Pressler was too cheap to care.

Paul Pressler and Steve Davison invite you to a beach party bash! And next summer John Lasseter is showing up with his Pixar pals and a few kegs! And some Cabernet. Also whiskey. Doesn't this look great?!? It's a beach at the ocean!
paradise2tn_zephyr2013ww.jpg

Last edited:

nevol

I have vacationed on the Oregon Coast many times. A few decades ago I got into an argument with my dentist in Boston who tried to tell me Oregon was a landlocked state somewhere near Colorado and the West Coast was made up entirely of California. This was a successful dentist with a practice in a stylish neighborhood and who allegedly graduated high school and then four years of college before going to dental school. Seriously. I hated living in Boston.

Oregon's coast is stunning, for 300+ miles, and I think Oregon nudges out Washington state to the north for jaw-dropping coastline.
IMG_7560.jpg

Paul Pressler is a native New Yorker. Ever since I first visited DCA in 2001 and saw the lame, cheap attempt at "beach" that just looks like a wimpy, lifeless beach in New Jersey or South Carolina to me, I have been convinced Barry Braverman didn't know any better and Pressler was too cheap to care.

Paul Pressler and Steve Davison invite you to a beach party bash! And next summer John Lasseter is showing up with his Pixar pals and a few kegs! And some Cabernet. Also whiskey. Doesn't this look great?!?

OMG YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE PRECEDED THIS PARADISE PIER PHOTO WITH THE OREGON COAST. I'm not kidding when I say I was ACTUALLY GAGGING.

nevol

Fun fact! Don't recall where I read/heard it though. Oh, now I do. David Younger Theme Park Design. But the bear icon was supposed to be on the perimeter of the park, facing in, duh, so people could actually see it. Being a water ride that drains at night its typical for water rides to be on the perimeter of a park, near backstage, near draining facilities. This was going to take up a ton of room though. Somebody had a good idea, shockingly, when it came to laying out DCA 1.0: Use Paradise Pier as the retention facility. It actually gets deeper at night when the park is closed. But this also meant that the "park icon" is basically invisible to anybody that isn't staying at the grand californian (exaggerating here, they did a good job of orienting the main street in cars land so when you turn around you can see the bear front and center, but the first priority in its placement was to sell hotel rooms.)

Also why, fun fact, they cannot and have never dyed Paradise Bay. It was never dyed green, or blue. That isn't stage water a la jungle cruise, ROA. That's ride water a la splash mountain/grizzly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Fun fact! Don't recall where I read/heard it though. Oh, now I do. David Younger Theme Park Design. But the bear icon was supposed to be on the perimeter of the park, facing in, duh, so people could actually see it. Being a water ride that drains at night its typical for water rides to be on the perimeter of a park, near backstage, near draining facilities. This was going to take up a ton of room though. Somebody had a good idea, shockingly, when it came to laying out DCA 1.0: Use Paradise Pier as the retention facility. It actually gets deeper at night when the park is closed. But this also meant that the "park icon" is basically invisible to anybody that isn't staying at the grand californian (exaggerating here, they did a good job of orienting the main street in cars land so when you turn around you can see the bear front and center, but the first priority in its placement was to sell hotel rooms.)

Also why, fun fact, they cannot and have never dyed Paradise Bay. It was never dyed green, or blue. That isn't stage water a la jungle cruise, ROA. That's ride water a la splash mountain/grizzly.

I thought the Grizzly water drained into the lagoon between the Winery and Pacific Wharf.

FerretAfros

Yup. same water body as paradise bay.
They're actually two separate bodies of water, with a wall running below the Avalon Cove bridge. When Paradise Bay was drained for World of Color construction, there was no impact on GRR's operations. The area near the Wharf was designed to look like a tidal basin, so that if/when GRR goes down, it simply looks like the tide coming in. For all of the failures of DCA's initial build and budget, I agree that this is actually a really clever and elegant solution
1212-1_Paradise-Pier-f_125_2525.JPG

A similar trick was used way back in 1959 to separate the chlorinated water of the Submarine Lagoon from the park-wide green water system that supplied the Motor Boat Cruise, using an Autopia bridge to conceal the wall. During the 2005-07 conversion to Nemo, they filled in that part of the Motor Boat Cruise waterway and built new rockwork in the Sub lagoon, but the wall under the causeway remains, even though its purpose no longer does
40d584905aaee172eba8c05fd3c95657--disneyland-secrets-disneyland-th.jpg

As for the color of the water, Paradise Bay used to be dyed a rather electric shade of blue. They haven't dyed it since refilling it in late 2009 (Presumably due to the World of Color equipment, I guess? The Fantasmic! fountains seem to manage just fine in dyed water), instead letting guests look into the murky, brown, algae-filled world below the surface. The GRR water is slightly chlorinated since it splashes guests, and is much clearer than Paradise Bay
DCAParadisePier_1.jpg

al110910b.jpg

DCA3-039.jpg

hawkfam

I have vacationed on the Oregon Coast many times. A few decades ago I got into an argument with my dentist in Boston who tried to tell me Oregon was a landlocked state somewhere near Colorado and the West Coast was made up entirely of California. This was a successful dentist with a practice in a stylish neighborhood and who allegedly graduated high school and then four years of college before going to dental school.

I hated living in Boston.

IMG_7560.jpg

Paul Pressler and Steve Davison invite you to a beach party bash! And next summer John Lasseter is showing up with his Pixar pals and a few kegs! And some Cabernet. Also whiskey. Doesn't this look great?!? It's a beach at the ocean!

I have to admit, when I think of the Oregon coast (having never been there) this is what I picture.
691_1.jpg

Ismael Flores

great picture, you could actually see the two original Autopia there. The Fantasyland Autopia is the one that had the boarding area right across from the Matterhorn. The Tommorrowland Autopia boarded by submarines and that track only ran over the submarine show building along the eastern boarder of the property. what a big mistake it was to merge both attractions together.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom