News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

October82

They should have just put Star Wars Land where Paradise Pier is.

I know this was probably "in jest", but if the California theme really is being abandoned in favor of mostly a place to put things that belong in a DHS type park, they probably should have done exactly this.

San Francisco has a lovely waterfront. Just sayin'.

One of the most disappointing things about DCA has been the lack of a proper San Francisco area. There's a rich history to mine for earth-shattering ideas. Add a SF themed waterfront, potentially including elements that did make it into Paradise Pier and DCA would be very compelling.

Suspirian

I know this was probably "in jest", but if the California theme really is being abandoned in favor of mostly a place to put things that belong in a DHS type park, they probably should have done exactly this.

One of the most disappointing things about DCA has been the lack of a proper San Francisco area. There's a rich history to mine for earth-shattering ideas. Add a SF themed waterfront, potentially including elements that did make it into Paradise Pier and DCA would be very compelling.

They also have a decent amount of IPs that take place there (if you really want to sell it to them lol)

nevol

Paradise Pier has been one of the most ungodly things in a Disney theme park since it opened. At this point, I don't even know how to feel about its various incarnations. While it was positively satanic to walk into a Disney park and see this:

100_2286-S.jpg

Jesus Christ! Anyway, as I was saying, while this was admittedly at least better than Season of the Force, was it also better than the current Paradise Pier and bizarre plans to alter it further? There's at least a certain amount of cohesion here. Paradise Pier 2.0 makes absolutely no sense, not even as a Disney character version of the pier. Simply slapping a Mickey head on a ferris wheel doesn't make it more Disney. Okay, we'll give it "Victorian" architecture, bouncy music and paint Disney characters on it. See! It's more Disney now! While it was an ugly pile of junk before, it now feels like a land desperately wanting to be a land in a Disney park. It somehow feels worse to me. I know! What's wrong with me?
Chappie thinks that the elusive Disney thing people are demanding is more of what you're describing, sadly. He doesn't understand that it is about creating incredible spaces that people want to occupy, that hide dramatic dark ride experiences that appeal to our every desire and sense, and sometimes also about creating a sense of optimism for mankind. That putting more DISNEY back in EPCOT, means EMULATING DISNEY'S ACTUAL EPCOT, not putting irreverent superheroes in an energy pavilion.

D

Deleted member 107043

Chappie thinks that the elusive Disney thing people are demanding is more of what you're describing, sadly.

"Chappie thinks"? Correction: Chippie knows.

Disney Parks and Resorts ended 2016 with a 5 percent increase in revenue over 2015. In Q2 2017 (Jan - March) Parks and Resorts revenue rose 9 percent to $4.3 billion compared with the previous year. During that time domestic theme parks’ attendance rose 4 percent. Anyone who spends time in Anaheim or on a Disney fan site knows that both DLR parks are extremely busy most of the year.

We fans can kvetch all the way to the grave, but the performance of the domestic properties proves that Disney management's strategy is working.

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

California has such distinct coastlines and I always thought it was a shame that they represented them with a generic boardwalk theme. A Big Sur area would be a great transition from Grizzly Peak, or some La Jolla type rockwork would look great across from the pier.

Ding, ding, ding!!!

That has always bugged me about Paradise Pier; either the cheap stucco 2001 version or the upgraded clapboard 2011 version. It just looks and feels so East Coast to me, like nothing that reads as California, with pockets of sand and white fencing and wavy dunes grass that could be Virginia or South Carolina or Florida. Paradise Pier's lame attempt at "beach" is flat and two dimensional like most boring East Coast beaches are. I've lived in several East Coast states in towns right on the ocean, and the beaches generally look like this...

South Carolina (or anywhere from New Jersey to Florida, really)
litchfield-beach.jpg

Native New Yorker Paul Pressler's attempt at "Beach Theme" for California
24316819646_e26f5721d9_b.jpg

Meanwhile, real Californians go to real California beaches that look nothing like Paradise Pier and mostly look something like this...

Laguna Beach (15 miles south of Disneyland)
Laguna-Beach-39-com.jpg

La Jolla (90 miles south of Disneyland)
LaJolla5.jpg

Pismo Beach (250 miles north of Disneyland)
02-pismo-beach.jpg

But nothing in or around Paradise Pier has ever read to me as "California Beach". Paradise Pier 1.0 and 2.0, and likely Pixar Pier next year, all looks more like New Jersey Old Timey Fun Pier with pockets of South Carolina Sandy Beach for "theme". It's such a cheap and pointless way to say "beach" to a theme park audience in SoCal.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

Lol @ gagging.

Yeah, Ghiradellis is legit, I go there for all of my ice cream needs. Never buy a corn dog at DCA though because it seems sacrilegious.

It's also the only food service vendor to offer military discount in the parks. They seem to take particular pride in espousing that whenever we get ice cream there, lol.

Award Weiners on the other hand... worst food service in DL proper. That joint needs shut down.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Ding, ding, ding!!!

That has always bugged me about Paradise Pier; either the cheap stucco 2001 version or the upgraded clapboard 2011 version. It just looks and feels so East Coast to me, like nothing that reads as California, with pockets of sand and white fencing and wavy dunes grass that could be Virginia or South Carolina or Florida. Paradise Pier's lame attempt at "beach" is flat and two dimensional like most boring East Coast beaches are. I've lived in several East Coast states in towns right on the ocean, and the beaches generally look like this...

litchfield-beach.jpg

Meanwhile, real Californians go to real California beaches that look nothing like Paradise Pier and mostly look something like this...

Laguna-Beach-39-com.jpg

LaJolla5.jpg

02-pismo-beach.jpg

But nothing in or around Paradise Pier has ever read to me as "California Beach". Paradise Pier 1.0 and 2.0, and likely Pixar Pier next year, all looks more like New Jersey Old Timey Fun Pier with pockets of South Carolina Sandy Beach for "theme". It's such a cheap and pointless way to say "beach" to a theme park audience in SoCal.

Adding more rocks and beach scenery around the bay would do wonders for the area. Also turning the wave machine back on and dyeing the water blue again instead of letting it go dirty brown.

Slapping the Pixar brand on everything is dumber than a box of rocks but if gets us the upgrades this land needed years ago then fine.

Phroobar

Lets remember we are talking signage and new facades here only. There are no new rides. Nothing is moving from Bugs Land. There are no rocks added. This is cheap and quick. California Screamin is never going to have an AA Dash running next to you. My guess is all we are getting are pictures of the Incredibles on the walls and a new soundtrack. As for the other end of the pier, they are redressing the 2001 internal stores and turning them into yet another meet & greet and a candy store with matching facade. I would say that is an improvement over a giant ringmaster standing over you as you buy a generic t-shirt. It looks like he wants to eat the cast member at the cash register. The Mickey swing ride would just take a new wrap on the pillar and a new statue on the top with new music. These changes tie both sides of the pier together under a pixar character theme via signage. We also don't know that the Mickey face will disappear off the Mickey's Fun Wheel of Death but since they are changing the name of the wheel, it could be something generic on it or little pictures of various Pixar characters. Maybe WOC will highlight Pixar characters and needs something to show? Removing Mickey also sounds very anti-Disney to me. Anyway, as per our pattern, we hate whatever is announced. We start to reconsider it during construction and ultimately love it. (See GOTG:MB, ROA) Of course, there will be a small minority that will hate it forever.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Ding, ding, ding!!!

litchfield-beach.jpg

Laguna-Beach-39-com.jpg

LaJolla5.jpg

02-pismo-beach.jpg

Okay, I agree that Paradise Pier is crap, but why did you have to single out the charming beach theming present in only a couple locations?

Phroobar

Lasseter said (paraphrasing) "And maybe some new rides?" and Chapek said they could do that.

Of course, Chapek could have just been humoring John, like I do with my drunk cousin at Thanksgiving.
Their idea of a new ride is to quickly reskin an old one. Repainting the cars on the Fun Wheel of Death and replacing Mickey's face with Woody would be a "new ride". I wouldn't call it a new ride though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom