News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Suspirian

or
upload_2017-7-19_10-30-2.png

TP2000

Okay, I agree that Paradise Pier is crap, but why did you have to single out the charming beach theming present in only a couple locations?

Because that is part of the crap. New Jersey is not California.

We all know that rocks and cliffs are part of the California beach scene, but that's more expensive than just dumping sand on a flat beach and then putting dunes grass and some erosion fencing around it like they have in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, Wildwood, New Jersey, Outer Banks, North Carolnia, etc, .etc.

To actually make a California beach, Pressler would have needed to spend more money. So he made it look like the East Coast instead and saved a few bucks.

nevol

Lets remember we are talking signage and new facades here only. There are no new rides. Nothing is moving from Bugs Land. There are no rocks added. This is cheap and quick. California Screamin is never going to have an AA Dash running next to you. My guess is all we are getting are pictures of the Incredibles on the walls and a new soundtrack. As for the other end of the pier, they are redressing the 2001 internal stores and turning them into yet another meet & greet and a candy store with matching facade. I would say that is an improvement over a giant ringmaster standing over you as you buy a generic t-shirt. It looks like he wants to eat the cast member at the cash register. The Mickey swing ride would just take a new wrap on the pillar and a new statue on the top with new music. These changes tie both sides of the pier together under a pixar character theme via signage. We also don't know that the Mickey face will disappear off the Mickey's Fun Wheel of Death but since they are changing the name of the wheel, it could be something generic on it or little pictures of various Pixar characters. Maybe WOC will highlight Pixar characters and needs something to show? Removing Mickey also sounds very anti-Disney to me. Anyway, as per our pattern, we hate whatever is announced. We start to reconsider it during construction and ultimately love it. (See GOTG:MB, ROA) Of course, there will be a small minority that will hate it forever.

I love the look of midway mania in tokyo, and the color palette in the concept art. Maybe if Mickey goes away, it will be replaced with nothing at all? Rather than red and black on the wheel, it becomes more neutral beiges with green or purple being the primary and the other being the accent color a la the pp concept art. Something evocative of pixar without a giant logo. I'd be fine with that.

I'm super color-sensitive. I love all the mint green and salmon and pink and baby blue that alternates around main street, new orleans square, and fantasyland, and how beautiful and subtle they are as accent colors in NOS under the giant emerald green tree canopy. Not too many primary colors. I think just by way of extending those particular color palettes that are abundant in disneyland to the pier, in addition to the types of color mixing in the concept art, would go a long way toward subconsciously making it feel more "disney."

Last edited:

nevol

Because that is part of the crap. New Jersey is not California.

We all know that rocks and cliffs are part of the California beach scene, but that's more expensive than just dumping sand on a flat beach and then putting dunes grass and some erosion fencing around it like they have in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, Wildwood, New Jersey, Outer Banks, North Carolnia, etc, .etc.

To actually make a California beach, Pressler would have needed to spend more money. So he made it look like the East Coast instead and saved a few bucks.
These disneyland presidents have too much power. There needs to be a disney parks congress :joyfull: I'm kind of kidding, but not really. It seems that whoever becomes president of parks and resorts and the particular resorts has far too much say in things that should frankly be planned 5-10 years out with minor room for change.

alias8703

dkjh01.jpg

Anyone notice anything interesting on the brand new MAXPASS page?
Disneyland = Castle
DCA = MICKEYS Fun Wheel

Hmmm... Perhaps they really can keep the bay side Mickey since you can't see it from the Pier and Put a Pixar Character(s) on the Pier side! That would be awesome.

Last edited:

October82

Hmmm... Perhaps they really can keep the bay side Mickey since you can't see it from the Pier and Put a Pixar Character(s) on the Pier side! That would be awesome.

It really seems like Pixar Pier should be the stretch from toy story midway mania to the old maliboomer location, exempting the fun wheel. In effect, a subarea much like those at real seaside piers. The decision to retheme the entire pier, and hence the fun wheel as well, seems to come down to a poorly considered desire to give Screamin' an IP tie in for marketing purposes. The concept art certainly suggests an upgrade to the currently disguised 2001 era structures on that part of the pier, and including a Pixar meet and greet or theatre experience seems like a reasonable choice alongside a (possibly) trackless dark ride at that end of the pier.

I expect that the Mickey dark ride for DHS will find its way to DCA, probably in the backlot area, but the concept art suggests that it could fit here as well. Which again raises the question, why Pixar for the entire pier as opposed to the stretch around TSMM?

D

Deleted member 107043

It really seems like Pixar Pier should be the stretch from toy story midway mania to the old maliboomer location, exempting the fun wheel. In effect, a subarea much like those at real seaside piers.

From the Disney Parks Blog:

Pixar Pier will feature a brand-new look for the area now known as Paradise Pier, as some of your favorite characters come to life on this seaside waterfront. You will discover whimsical neighborhoods filled with your friends from “The Incredibles,” “Inside Out” and even more of your pals from “Toy Story.” Building upon the evolution of Disney California Adventure park that began in 2007, we are building more new worlds for you to step into and enjoy your favorite stories.

What I get from this PR piece is that the Pier will be divided into different seaside themed segments each devoted to a specific cast of Pixar characters. It's too early for me to decide whether I like this idea or not, but it does sound intriguing.

Curious Constance

Ding, ding, ding!!!

That has always bugged me about Paradise Pier; either the cheap stucco 2001 version or the upgraded clapboard 2011 version. It just looks and feels so East Coast to me, like nothing that reads as California, with pockets of sand and white fencing and wavy dunes grass that could be Virginia or South Carolina or Florida. Paradise Pier's lame attempt at "beach" is flat and two dimensional like most boring East Coast beaches are. I've lived in several East Coast states in towns right on the ocean, and the beaches generally look like this...

South Carolina (or anywhere from New Jersey to Florida, really)
litchfield-beach.jpg

Native New Yorker Paul Pressler's attempt at "Beach Theme" for California
24316819646_e26f5721d9_b.jpg

Meanwhile, real Californians go to real California beaches that look nothing like Paradise Pier and mostly look something like this...

Laguna Beach (15 miles south of Disneyland)
Laguna-Beach-39-com.jpg

La Jolla (90 miles south of Disneyland)
LaJolla5.jpg

Pismo Beach (250 miles north of Disneyland)
02-pismo-beach.jpg

But nothing in or around Paradise Pier has ever read to me as "California Beach". Paradise Pier 1.0 and 2.0, and likely Pixar Pier next year, all looks more like New Jersey Old Timey Fun Pier with pockets of South Carolina Sandy Beach for "theme". It's such a cheap and pointless way to say "beach" to a theme park audience in SoCal.
This is a great point! I grew up on the East coast and vacationed at several beaches all alone the coast line. When I moved to Oregon I couldn't believe it. Holy scenery!!!! If you think CA beaches are nice you should see Oregon!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom