News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

nevol

As tacky and cheap as everything was, it's nice to see footage of the park that was mostly IP-free, and when guests were still flying over California and not the Taj Mahal.

The people being interviewed were genuinely excited about the park; John McClintock said "This park is maybe a little more real possibly a little more sophisticated than Disneyland." Steve Miller's head was in the right place, though, in his appreciation of Soarin' and golden dreams' spot as the heart/soul/justification for the park being based on California. The offerings with the most potential stood out to him. Followed up by an interview with Liz, VP Brand Strategy who fully embodied the other side of the Disneyland resort roll-out, the one that didn't work, the one they'll continue to erase through the early 2020's-cool, hip, pop, downtown Disney, etc around the 15 minute mark. I'm glad wine country and the food shows are still there, but what is absent still is a more emotional and less cold justification for a theme park about California. They tried a ton of stuff that didn't work but rather than saying "California doesn't work, let's abandon it," I think that gets them closer to finding what does work, if they had the will to try again. The under-performance of ITTBAB, Muppets, Honey, I shrunk the audience provided them useful feedback about how the audience mix in California is less receptive of theater shows, whereas in Orlando people visit less so those shows have more staying power. How they approached California didn't work, as 3d shows haven't worked, but I think there is room for California still, just as there is room for 3d shows still; not in a passive movie theater format, but in Midway Mania, Battle Escape, star tours, Avengers Coaster.

+The failure of 1.0 and success of 2.0 is attributable to so many things, but the biggest takeaway by the company that they are rolling out everywhere now seems to be that
a. Theme parks with original themes are a liability, and
b. The easiest way to improve said theme parks is through IP

DL Resort runs like a well-oiled machine now, no doubt about it. It is the success of DCA 2.0 that guarantees, for the time being, that everything everywhere will be an IP-driven mashup of Disney Hollywood Studios and Disneyland/Magic Kingdom. Hopefully the new Mission: Space enhancements and restaurant are insanely popular, as well as the Disneyland Railroad when it returns, because I'm having a hard time thinking about any other projects in development right now or that have opened recently that aren't IP-driven. (Mystic Manor... strongest attraction at HKDL, but it didn't spark similar attractions elsewhere just yet) Restaurants around DAK etc aside. Not to just hate on IP's, that isn't my point. Flight of Passage appears to handle it really well and create a fantasy pedagogical attraction that is subtle but reinforces the park's values in clear ways. But experimentation is lacking and while now might not be the time to take risks, with DCA's head just above the water, so much in flux out east, Paris and Hong Kong in vulnerable states, experiences like Alien Encounter and Superstar Limo (heck, even Mount Prometheus) aren't to be expected.

I've been busy and only refreshing this thread all week; going to hop over to the wdw thread to see how everyone is feeling about the entrance plaza at epcot etc. Probably 900 pages at this point; hope I make it out alive.

Last edited:

nevol

Too bad Golden Dreams didn't get to keep it's original budget. The show was suppose to be a California based version of the American Adventure complete with AAs and rising stages. All we got in the end was a movie and projected Whoopie heads.
So much american history is California history. And it is a story with an active present; tech/innovation, entertainment, political action. Really limitless and a lot of dramatic themes to leverage. Sadly the park overall doesn't reflect that and instead went the shallow California landscape route.

tirian

The Cove Bar is nice but it would be awesome if they could expand it across the entire top floor of the building. I would also appreciate a complete redo of Arial's. The food isn't bad, but it still has the distinct dated look of a 90s Wolfgang Puck dining establishment.

DSC07372.jpg
Nemo?

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Thanks! One of our friends already told us about the elevator fiasco in that hotel, so we are planning our trip around that! We are on a budget, so that's why we choose that hotel, and plan to spend very little time in the hotel.

Also, we have experienced an elevator fiasco in a hotel in Chicago. We were on the 34th floor, and ended up having to take the stairs to avoid a 25 minute wait for the elevator. It was a mess!

The "fiasco" is not so much anymore. They've installed a new elevator call system that is much more efficient and drastically reduced wait times for elevators. I stayed there again last week and it was a breeze. It was not immediate but reasonable.

George Lucas on a Bench

The Cove Bar is awful and not because I blew $300 there in like an hour on overpriced drinks, after which we continued to drink at various other establishments in DLR until I was eventually abandoned in the parking garage. I have no memory of events between my abandonment and being slumped in a chair at the dinner table with 20 minutes to get ready for work.

Anyway, I despise the Cove Bar's lack of privacy and the obnoxious never-ending sound of screaming.

Professortango1

I don't want to bias your opinion of your stay there, but just make sure you have a plan for the elevator fiasco (typical wait is around 30 minutes). It's minimally themed for a Disney resort (because it was bought from an outside company instead of being designed by Disney) and should be about $200 less a night (think value resort in WDW). We ended up having to take the stairs from the 10th floor everyday to make sure we could get to the park on time to get fastpasses and such. Carrying a week's worth of luggage downstairs to check out 10 flights of stairs also isn't too magical.

I sincerely hope your visit is better than the normal experience and hope you guys have a great time!!

We never have any elevator issues when we stay there.

Professortango1

The Cove Bar is awful and not because I blew $300 there in like an hour on overpriced drinks, after which we continued to drink at various other establishments in DLR until I was eventually abandoned in the parking garage. I have no memory of events between my abandonment and being slumped in a chair at the dinner table with 20 minutes to get ready for work.

Anyway, I despise the Cove Bar's lack of privacy and the obnoxious never-ending sound of screaming.

I just miss being able to go to the Cove Bar. Now, I rarely see it without a 30-60 minute wait. Used to be a favorite spot, now its just absurd.

TP2000

Too bad Golden Dreams didn't get to keep it's original budget. The show was suppose to be a California based version of the American Adventure complete with AAs and rising stages. All we got in the end was a movie and projected Whoopie heads.

The American Adventure version was actually the first round of budget cuts. Originally, Golden Dreams was called Circle of Hands and it was a revolving theater Carousel Of Progress type show with lots of animatronics and lavish special effects.

Paul Pressler was not just a bad executive, he was an idiot.

TP2000

Does this trigger anybody else's PTSD?

(video title misleading; it is a collection of media, channel news, and TV promo specials for dca 1.0)

In another universe with twice the budget and half the puns, DCA would have successfully pulled off the California theme and the themes presented in a show like golden dreams would still exist.

Oh, wow. The first 25 minutes of that video is absolutely hysterical for long-time DCA fans. What a blast from the past! And I'm not talking about the wide ties and lapels on the TDA suits, and the Mom Jeans and baggy shirts on all the park visitors.

Those TDA talking heads are so hysterically funny, desperately clinging to their talking points and approved wording as they tried to be so excited about such a cheap piece of crap. And then as the grand finale' we get a happy-shiny interview with Cynthia Harriss herself! That made my whole night! Cyn-cyn, how we miss you! :rolleyes:

Here's the LinkedIn status of those DCA talking heads.

JJ Buettgen
2001: Senior VP Marketing, Disneyland Resort
2017: President, Ruby Tuesday's Restaurant

Liz Gill
2001: Vice President Strategic Brand Management, Disneyland Resort
2017: Vice President Marketing, Danier Leather

Cynthia Harriss
2001: President, Disneyland Resort
2017: Executive Vice President, David's Bridal

I wonder what the Talking Points are they use now at Ruby Tuesday's, Danier Leather, and David's Bridal?

nevol

Oh, wow. The first 25 minutes of that video is absolutely hysterical for long-time DCA fans. What a blast from the past! And I'm not talking about the wide ties and lapels on the TDA suits, and the Mom Jeans and baggy shirts on all the park visitors.

Those TDA talking heads are so hysterically funny, desperately clinging to their talking points and approved wording as they tried to be so excited about such a cheap piece of crap. And then as the grand finale' we get a happy-shiny interview with Cynthia Harriss herself! That made my whole night! Cyn-cyn, how we miss you! :rolleyes:

Here's the LinkedIn status of those DCA talking heads.

JJ Buettgen
2001: Senior VP Marketing, Disneyland Resort
2017: President, Ruby Tuesday's Restaurant

Liz Gill
2001: Vice President Strategic Brand Management, Disneyland Resort
2017: Vice President Marketing, Danier Leather

Cynthia Harriss
2001: President, Disneyland Resort
2017: Executive Vice President, David's Bridal

I wonder what the Talking Points are they use now at Ruby Tuesday's, Danier Leather, and David's Bridal?

Holy crap. TWDC needs an emergency intervention into HR at Parks and resorts. Poetic justice, but not after they trashed the place. Reckless. In other news my Youtube rabbit hole led me back to golden dreams, a film that is completely and utterly 2017. They need to bring it back ASAP. Throw it in ITTBAB until it gets knocked down for Marvel and then make a suitable ride/attraction/replacement that fills its void.

EPCOTCenterLover

That DCA promo video is almost as exciting a way to show off the park as going to the dentist. With apologies to my dentist- who happens to also be a friend.

Phroobar

How do you go from President of Disneyland to the VP at David's Bridal? Bless her heart.
Allowing Disneyland park to come under so much disrepair that Big Thunder jumps the tracks and kills guests. She was gone quickly afterwards.

I also found the first guests reactions to the park that it wasn't crowded and people should come down was funny. Even the executives were saying please come. Little did they know it wouldn't be crowded for the next ten years!

mikenatcity1

The "fiasco" is not so much anymore. They've installed a new elevator call system that is much more efficient and drastically reduced wait times for elevators. I stayed there again last week and it was a breeze. It was not immediate but reasonable.

What is the system?? The elevators were horrible last time we were there which was a big reason to not stay there.

Ismael Flores

Holy crap. TWDC needs an emergency intervention into HR at Parks and resorts. Poetic justice, but not after they trashed the place. Reckless. In other news my Youtube rabbit hole led me back to golden dreams, a film that is completely and utterly 2017. They need to bring it back ASAP. Throw it in ITTBAB until it gets knocked down for Marvel and then make a suitable ride/attraction/replacement that fills its void.

They should have kept seasons of the vine and golden dreams and placed them both inside the wine cellar. I think that if they had reversed the entrance of that small building by placing the entrance doors where the DVC kiosk is more people would see the entrance and head in and see it. It would have been such an easy change. A large screen placed at the opposite end of the building and have guests exit thru the side door.
Both where good educational movies that are now lost to history and sitting in an archive somewhere

Ismael Flores

I am really hoping that with whatever changes they continue to do to the Pier area that a new or extended mode of transportation is added. The long parade route needs some kinetic movement and adding a second trolley line or some more vehicles like on mainstreet would add a new attraction at my minimal cost.

I also think that they should consider adding some trees along the parade route between Carsland and the wharf bridge. That long section of parade route is terrible during the hot summer months or any month that the sun is out. There is no shade at all on the southern side of the parade route.

Yes it might block some view of the wharf when sitting on the terrace and having dinner but it's well worth it.

Some nice large trees would not only help to add some shade but also serve as another siteline barrier. Right now as soon as you make the turn from bugsland entrance area along the parade route all the lands are visible. The boardwalk is clearly seen along with whatever passes high above behind Screamin and Mickey funwheel.
A few large trees along the wharf section of the parade route would create a green barrier

disneyC97

They should have kept seasons of the vine and golden dreams and placed them both inside the wine cellar. I think that if they had reversed the entrance of that small building by placing the entrance doors where the DVC kiosk is more people would see the entrance and head in and see it. It would have been such an easy change. A large screen placed at the opposite end of the building and have guests exit thru the side door.
Both where good educational movies that are now lost to history and sitting in an archive somewhere
I agree, though I believe Seasons of the Vine pops up yearly at Epcot's Food and Wine Fest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom