News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

__r.jr

Actually Disney has all but verbally confirmed it. They have put out several videos that show the ways Pixar movies are all tied together in one universe. If you click on the NBC story link that I posted you will see a couple of the videos.

So really they have confirmed it.

How can one reach such a conclusion when the videos are labeled and described as Easter Eggs?

Even then, one may be alluded to such a notion from Disney however Pixar says otherwise.

"This is gonna be a controversial answer. I don’t know. For me, that kind of breaks my brain, to think that they – I think of them as very different universes and that they don’t cross over. You know, I don’t think of The Incredibles being able to walk down the street and bump into Carl Fredricksen." - Pete Doctor

"We don’t believe that they are [take place in the same universe], especially when we make them, we don’t think that they do, except we have these easter eggs that translate over all these movies so it’s contradictory when we say that, too.

So it’s not one of those things that we actually have had a company meeting about. John’s [Lasseter, Pixar chief creative officer] not gonna sit there [saying], ‘I wanna make sure that all our movies are connected. Don’t pitch me a movie that isn’t connected to things.’ No, that’s not the way it goes. It’s just, we make stuff that is important to each director and then we have fun with it. That’s all it is." - Ronnie del Carmen

source: The "Pixar Theory" Proved False by Legend Pete Doctor.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I honestly think a turn of the century pier is a good idea, though. It's just Main Street USA with more to do. Charming, romantic, and harkens back to a simpler time.

However Main St. is meant to be an opening/closing "reel" into the parks. Its why it doesn't have any attractions beyond the cinema.

Also in my opinion its something that Walt himself wouldn't have liked. Because he didn't like the amusement parks, even the seaside ones, of the era.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
How can one reach such a conclusion when the videos are labeled and described as Easter Eggs?

Even then, one may be alluded to such a notion from Disney however Pixar says otherwise.

"This is gonna be a controversial answer. I don’t know. For me, that kind of breaks my brain, to think that they – I think of them as very different universes and that they don’t cross over. You know, I don’t think of The Incredibles being able to walk down the street and bump into Carl Fredricksen." - Pete Doctor

"We don’t believe that they are [take place in the same universe], especially when we make them, we don’t think that they do, except we have these easter eggs that translate over all these movies so it’s contradictory when we say that, too.

So it’s not one of those things that we actually have had a company meeting about. John’s [Lasseter, Pixar chief creative officer] not gonna sit there [saying], ‘I wanna make sure that all our movies are connected. Don’t pitch me a movie that isn’t connected to things.’ No, that’s not the way it goes. It’s just, we make stuff that is important to each director and then we have fun with it. That’s all it is." - Ronnie del Carmen

source: The "Pixar Theory" Proved False by Legend Pete Doctor.

However he isn't speaking on behalf of Pixar or Disney. He is speaking on behalf of himself, and giving his opinion. Just like we all are here.

Also since Disney is the parent company, if Disney wants to say its all one universe then thats end of story.

And in that same blog is posted this, quote from Doctor:

"But if you wanna imagine that they’re connected i don’t wanna stop you."

Californian Elitist

Actually Disney has all but verbally confirmed it. They have put out several videos that show the ways Pixar movies are all tied together in one universe. If you click on the NBC story link that I posted you will see a couple of the videos.

So really they have confirmed it.

You’re referring to the easter eggs? That’s not the same thing, and definitely not a confirmation.

__r.jr

However he isn't speaking on behalf of Pixar or Disney. He is speaking on behalf of himself, and giving his opinion. Just like we all are here.

Also since Disney is the parent company, if Disney wants to say its all one universe then thats end of story.

And in that same blog is posted this, quote from Doctor:

"But if you wanna imagine that they’re connected i don’t wanna stop you."

Pete says it's not a part of the creative process when making the films/stories. Ronnie later reaffirms that statement as whole. At the 2015 D23 Expo during the "Pixar Secrets Reveal" panel (which featured Director Dan Scanlon, Senior Producer Darla K. Anderson, Director Mark Andrews, Senior Development Executive Mary Coleman, and Co-Director Ronnie del Carmen) Mark Andrews rejected the theory.

"It's not true - come on!" - Mark Andrews

"Do you know what kinds of meetings we’d have to have to make sure all our movies line up?!" - Ronnie del Carmen

The same publishers of those videos are the same ones that published this article which those quotes stem from, 10 Secrets We Learned from the Pixar Secrets Revealed Panel.

Disney did purchase Pixar but some of the conditions was that Pixar would remain as its own entity, identity and culture.

Again, Disney never made such claims. No where in the articles and videos does Disney state all of the films are set in same universe.

One may interpret that the theory exists. Sure, no one is taking that away from anyone, but Disney and Pixar don't acknowledge it.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You’re referring to the easter eggs? That’s not the same thing, and definitely not a confirmation.
Pete says it's not a part of the creative process when making the films/stories. Ronnie later reaffirms that statement as whole. During the 2015 D23 Expo during "Pixar Secrets Reveal" panel (which also featured Director Dan Scanlon, Senior Producer Darla K. Anderson, Director Mark Andrews, Senior Development Executive Mary Coleman, and Co-Director Ronnie del Carmen) Mark Andrews rejected the theory.

"Do you know what kinds of meetings we’d have to have to make sure all our movies line up?!" - Ronnie del Carmen

The same publishers of those videos are the same ones that published this article which those quotes stem from, 10 Secrets We Learned from the Pixar Secrets Revealed Panel.

Disney did purchase Pixar but some of the conditions was that Pixar would remain as its own entity, identity and culture.

Again, Disney never made such claims. No where in the articles and videos does Disney state all of the films are set in same universe.

One may interpret that the theory exist. Sure, no one is taking that away from anyone, but Disney and Pixar don't acknowledge it.

Hey I'm willing to concede that Disney never came out and verbally said, "Hey all Pixar movies are connected in one single unified universe.".

But at the same time you have to admit that there are just too many references within each Pixar film to all the other Pixar films to be just a mere coincidence. This is more than just easter eggs, in my opinion.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Pete says it's not a part of the creative process when making the films/stories. Ronnie later reaffirms that statement as whole. During the 2015 D23 Expo during "Pixar Secrets Reveal" panel (which also featured Director Dan Scanlon, Senior Producer Darla K. Anderson, Director Mark Andrews, Senior Development Executive Mary Coleman, and Co-Director Ronnie del Carmen) Mark Andrews rejected the theory.

One may interpret that the theory exist. Sure, no one is taking that away from anyone, but Disney and Pixar don't acknowledge it.

This just came to mind, why would they admit to it now if it was true? It keeps the mystery going if they deny it but still keep putting the references into each new Pixar film. Also its not that hard to have a meeting about putting quick reference that ties one movie to another. "Hey lets put Nemo in xyz film", or "Hey let's put an image of Mr. Incredible in abc film". Point is it can be done without this massive storyboard that everyone is thinking.

Californian Elitist

Hey I'm willing to concede that Disney never came out and verbally said, "Hey all Pixar movies are connected in one single unified universe.".

But at the same time you have to admit that there are just too many references within each Pixar film to all the other Pixar films to be just a mere coincidence. This is more than just easter eggs, in my opinion.

The references are there for fun. Kind of like hidden Mickeys. Disney has been putting in references in their movies for years and years, even before Pixar. That doesn’t necessarily mean they’re all connected.

TROR

However Main St. is meant to be an opening/closing "reel" into the parks. Its why it doesn't have any attractions beyond the cinema.

I know. That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, though.

Also in my opinion its something that Walt himself wouldn't have liked. Because he didn't like the amusement parks, even the seaside ones, of the era.

I agree, but I still think the Victorian setting had its own merits. That said, I'm all for demolishing Paradise/Pixar Pier at this point in favor of something like Discovery Bay.

lazyboy97o

Well he did build a castle with a medieval theme and fill with fairytale rides that had nothing to do with a castle or a medieval courtyard. Now that was immersive storytelling and let’s not forget that’s he wanted to build a mountain made of candy but instead built the matterhorn right next to the castle at the end of a street after a town themed to Americana.
Rock Candy Mountain was a proposal for the Storybook Land area, not Holiday Hill. How though is an Alpine mountain next an Alpine castle ridiculous? The design of Sleeping Beauty Castle is not medieval, its references to the Romanesque and Gothic are Victorian era revivalism. So we see an early Victorian era castle at the end of a late Victorian era town. While a castle is not typical of America, its placement plays on an organizational pattern common to Main Streets that create hierarchical focus on an important civic institution. In older towns of the northeast this was typically a church, signifying the religious nature of the community. As American culture shifted with territorial expansion the emphasis changed from religion to republicanism and the courthouse replaced the church as the building of significance, with the railroad station often be another important building in Midwestern towns. A castle is thus a fitting highlight for a Magic Kingdom, it is accepted because it fits into the romantic image and has a similar romantic aesthetic from the same architectural traditions.

That said, this constant attempt to equate Pixar-only lands to Fantasyland ignores that nobody seems to talk about how TRON would make a great addition to Fantasyland. The land is not nor has it ever been just about any and all Disney branded movies.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I know. That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, though.

Well you were trying to equate it. So I was trying to point out that both lands have different functions.

If you want to stick to just the idea of a romantic simpler bygone era being represented, well DCA has that in Buena Vista St. Which equates directly to Main St. So having that in the pier is, in my opinion, kind of redundant. Every land should not be the representation of a romantic simpler bygone era.

I agree, but I still think the Victorian setting had its own merits. That said, I'm all for demolishing Paradise/Pixar Pier at this point in favor of something like Discovery Bay.

On this I agree, but really do we need a some land about a bay/sea/beach at all. I understand its next to a big lake, but it doesn't need to be anything more than that.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The references are there for fun. Kind of like hidden Mickeys. Disney has been putting in references in their movies for years and years, even before Pixar. That doesn’t necessarily mean they’re all connected.

And that may be. I just find it a bit more than coincidental.

Even Ronnie del Carmen says its contradictory to say its not connected but at the same time put in all these references to all the other films. So it may not have been the intended result, but by doing it they created a somewhat connected universe.

And its funny that Pete Doctor has a sheepish grin when he says, "But if you wanna imagine that they’re connected i don’t wanna stop you." As if to say we know it wasn't meant to be this way when we started but it ended up working out that way. So continue to talk about it and we'll continue to do it because it makes us more money. Lol anyways that's my take.

TROR

Well you were trying to equate it. So I was trying to point out that both lands have different functions.

If you want to stick to just the idea of a romantic simpler bygone era being represented, well DCA has that in Buena Vista St. Which equates directly to Main St. So having that in the pier is, in my opinion, kind of redundant. Every land should not be the representation of a romantic simpler bygone era.
With DCA I feel like it mostly should be. I don't want to visit LA during the Rodney King riots, yknow?

On this I agree, but really do we need a some land about a bay/sea/beach at all. I understand its next to a big lake, but it doesn't need to be anything more than that.
Kind of. The Bay Area and the beach are two important aspects of California's history and culture so they definitely should be represented in a park about the state. And yeah, I know Disney is straying from the CA theme, or any theme for that matter, but I don't care. I'm still holding it accountable until Disney admits they don't care about theme in their theme parks or at least stop pretending they do.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
With DCA I feel like it mostly should be. I don't want to visit LA during the Rodney King riots, yknow?

That is the difference, I don't want to visit some fantasy version of LA. In fact I don't really even want to visit any fantasy version of place in CA, as I live here. Which is why I'm happy they are moving away from that.

Kind of. The Bay Area and the beach are two important aspects of California's history and culture so they definitely should be represented in a park about the state. And yeah, I know Disney is straying from the CA theme, or any theme for that matter, but I don't care. I'm still holding it accountable until Disney admits they don't care about theme in their theme parks or at least stop pretending they do.
I'm a native of the Bay Area so I know the importance of it. And the park already has a representation of SF on the other side, so again having an area about a bay/sea/beach becomes redundant again. You could turn it into a fantasy area next to a lake if you want to keep the reference to the body of water next to the land.

Californian Elitist

And that may be. I just find it a bit more than coincidental.

Even Ronnie del Carmen says its contradictory to say its not connected but at the same time put in all these references to all the other films. So it may not have been the intended result, but by doing it they created a somewhat connected universe.

And its funny that Pete Doctor has a sheepish grin when he says, "But if you wanna imagine that they’re connected i don’t wanna stop you." As if to say we know it wasn't meant to be this way when we started but it ended up working out that way. So continue to talk about it and we'll continue to do it because it makes us more money. Lol anyways that's my take.

Hm, how is it funny? Notice he said “imagine.” What he meant by that was there’s no connection, but fans are welcome to come up with their theories.

We’ll continue to do what, exactly?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hm, how is it funny? Notice he said “imagine.” What he meant by that was there’s no connection, but fans are welcome to come up with their theories.

We’ll continue to do what, exactly?

Its funny, because the grin looks like he knows something that he is not saying.

And continue, as we'll continue to put in all these references to all the other movies but still claim there is no connection.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom