News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Ismael Flores

Bad minutiae distracts people from having fun and pulls them out of the immersive story world. Walt didn't become the success he did by saying "F it, they'll watch it anyway." Good projects are good when people are earnestly trying to make them so.

Well he did build a castle with a medieval theme and fill with fairytale rides that had nothing to do with a castle or a medieval courtyard. Now that was immersive storytelling and let’s not forget that’s he wanted to build a mountain made of candy but instead built the matterhorn right next to the castle at the end of a street after a town themed to Americana.

__r.jr

Well he did build a castle with a medieval theme and fill with fairytale rides that had nothing to do with a castle or a medieval courtyard. Now that was immersive storytelling and let’s not forget that’s he wanted to build a mountain made of candy but instead built the matterhorn right next to the castle at the end of a street after a town themed to Americana.

The park opened with broad strokes of Americana and genre fiction in mind. In the case of Fantasyland, it can be seen as American's interpretation of European fantasy, legend and magic just as Adventureland is American's romanticization of fantasy, legend and magic of the world's exotic locales. Many Fantasyland IPs are based on public domain fairy tales and it's like Disney showing off their interpretation of said stories via films while also paying homage to where the stories come from using different architecture and music styles. Most of Disney's animated films at the time come from European fairy tales so they were filtered through American eyes when Disney made them and again when being placed in Fantasyland. It works seamlessly as part of Disneyland's overarching Americana theme.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

The theme of Fantasyland isn’t Medieval.

Ismael Flores

Well the general theme of Fantasyland is fantasy not medieval knights so

So the general theme for Pixar Pier is a Pier with Pixar Characters
So overal the main theming of a Pier is there filled with a collection of Pixar Characters.

KInd of seems like the same thing.
a fantasy land filled with a collection of fables and fantasy characters but then there is IASW.
should the fantasy aspect of IASW be that there is no way we as humans can ever be happy as one world or is it the striped hippos and other oddly painted animals.
Just trying to understand how one is ok and not the other when both lands have a unifying theme

Last edited:

__r.jr

So overal the main theming of a Pier is there filled with a collection of Pixar Characters.

KInd of seems like the same thing

Exccept it isn't. Pixar is not a theme. It's an animation studio in Emeryville.

No Pixar film is alike nor do they have a shared universe - and none take place on a pier. Even the Pixar theory has no basis on all those characters existing in some random turn of the century seaside attraction.

On top of that, Disney doesn't even know the source material. How is Anger, a personified emotion from a young girl, able to manifest physically from her and interact with our perceptive reality by serving hot dogs when all he ever talked about in the film was pizza?

Insular ideas are fun and have a charm to them somewhat... Then one realizes these are for a Disney park, right next to each other and it's just taking it back to the original California Adventure of mishmash ideas but now with characters.

Last edited:

TROR

KInd of seems like the same thing.
a fantasy land filled with a collection of fables and fantasy characters but then there is IASW.
should the fantasy aspect of IASW be that there is no way we as humans can ever be happy as one world or is it the striped hippos and other oddly painted animals.
Just trying to understand how one is ok and not the other when both lands have a unifying theme
World peace is definitely a fantasy. Truthfully, though, I kind of find it odd they didn't put IASW in Tomorrowland. I suppose it was a space related issue. I know New Tomorrowland wasn't for another year after the opening of IASW, but it had Mary Blair murals on its buildings so it definitely fit the aesthetic as well the optimistic vision that Tomorrowland '67 presented.

D

Deleted member 107043

Exccept it isn't. Pixar is not a theme. It's an animation studio in Emmeryville.

And Disney was a movie studio in Burbank that lent it's name to Disneyland. I understand and respect the point you're trying to make, but to me it feels a bit like you're grasping at straws in your effort to make it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Exccept it isn't. Pixar is not a theme. It's an animation studio in Emmeryville.

No Pixar film is alike nor do they have a shared universe. - and none take place on a pier. I mean even the Pixar theory has no basis on all those characters existing in some random turn of the century seaside attraction.

On top of that, Disney doesn't even know the source material. How is Anger, a personified emotion from a young girl, able to manifest physically from her and interact with our perceptive reality by serving hot dogs when all he ever talked about in the film was pizza?

Insular ideas are fun and have a charm to them somewhat... Then one realizes these are for a Disney park, right next to each other and it's just taking it back to the original California Adventure of mishmash ideas but now with characters.

First its Emeryville, not Emmeryville. Sorry but as a Bay Area native I just have an issue with people getting it wrong.

Second, there actually is a well known theory that states all Pixar films are tied by a thread that goes through all movies within a shared universe.

http://www.pixartheory.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixar_universe_theory
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/movies/pixar-s-one-world-theory-all-movies-are-connected-n708621

mlayton144

I agree with all of this. There is nothing like letting a succession of greed turn something that once stood for quality and values into Walmart.

Plus, admittedly there is a small part of me that still holds out hope that there is a teeny tiny chance that someday Walt's frozen head will be attached to an AA body and be able to think and move again. His first action will be to go from office to office rounding up the Disney Bobs for immediate eviction from the company. Stranger things have happened, right?

OMG this is the post of the century!! 👍

Californian Elitist

First its Emeryville, not Emmeryville. Sorry but as a Bay Area native I just have an issue with people getting it wrong.

Second, there actually is a well known theory that states all Pixar films are tied by a thread that goes through all movies within a shared universe.

http://www.pixartheory.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixar_universe_theory
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/movies/pixar-s-one-world-theory-all-movies-are-connected-n708621

This theory hasn’t been confirmed by Disney. It is just that, a theory.

Ismael Flores

No Pixar film is alike nor do they have a shared universe. - and none take place on a pier. I mean even the Pixar theory has no basis on all those characters existing in some random turn of the century seaside attraction.

It is still a Pier though with a collection of characters which in this case are all Pixar characters.

Would it make difference then if they had just dropped the name of Pixar Pier and kept the more generic name of Paradise Pier?
Or how about we change it to character pier or let’s just go a further step and call it Fantasy Pier.

Any way we put it it’s still a Pier. A pier which in reality never had a unifying theme whenever and wherever they were built around the world. They were filled with fantasy, horror, true life characters wether they were created from fables or studio entities.
A Pier has such a generic theme behind it in reality that anything can fit and therefore even Pixar creations can as well

Are we not over thinking this? we accept a land that was originally built with a mediviel theme but populated with characters that had nothing to do with it just because it had the name fantasy in it.
We accepted the Fantasy as a theme yet in theory Fantasy is a genre.

This is similar to the same original argument that Little Mermaid ride didn’t fit the theme of California or Paradise Pier. It was another argument that really made no sense.

The attraction didn’t have to fit the California theme because at that point the attraction was within a Pier setting/ land which represented an era where California became a pleasure trove filled with amusement parks at many of its beaches.
So in theory it never broke away from the theme of California.

The the little mermaid break away from the theme of the Pier? No it didn’t

The structure that it was built in was in perfect theme to the Pier setting and the overall idea of a mermaid ride also fit the theme of the pier. Why because almost every pier had some kind of ride based on the stories of mermaid at sea. Could Disney have built a generic mermaid ride sure but why do that if you have a hot property based on it

TROR

It is still a Pier though with a collection of characters which in this case are all Pixar characters.

Would it make difference then if they had just dropped the name of Pixar Pier and kept the more generic name of Paradise Pier?
Or how about we change it to character pier or let’s just go a further step and call it Fantasy Pier.

Any way we put it it’s still a Pier. A pier which in reality never had a unifying theme whenever and wherever they were built around the world. They were filled with fantasy, horror, true life characters wether they were created from fables or studio entities.
A Pier has such a generic theme behind it in reality that anything can fit and therefore even Pixar creations can as well

Are we not over thinking this? we accept a land that was originally built with a mediviel theme but populated with characters that had nothing to do with it just because it had the name fantasy in it.
We accepted the Fantasy as a theme yet in theory Fantasy is a genre.

This is similar to the same original argument that Little Mermaid ride didn’t fit the theme of California or Paradise Pier. It was another argument that really made no sense.

The attraction didn’t have to fit the California theme because at that point the attraction was within a Pier setting/ land which represented an era where California became a pleasure trove filled with amusement parks at many of its beaches.
So in theory it never broke away from the theme of California.

The the little mermaid break away from the theme of the Pier? No it didn’t

The structure that it was built in was in perfect theme to the Pier setting and the overall idea of a mermaid ride also fit the theme of the pier. Why because almost every pier had some kind of ride based on the stories of mermaid at sea. Could Disney have built a generic mermaid ride sure but why do that if you have a hot property based on it
I actually agree with you, but I think you've opened my eyes to what my real problem with Pixar Pier is: A pier is just an awful place for a theme park setting. I don't mean a turn of the century era pier, that's a great setting, honestly. But a modern day pier like Santa Monica pier. That's a terrible setting. That's what Pixar Pier is, though. Yes there are a few Victorian elements, but overall we're just back to DCA 1.0's Paradise Pier now with Pixar characters (and the out of place Mickey Mouse). It's completely reverted back to what made it a failure in the first place.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This theory hasn’t been confirmed by Disney. It is just that, a theory.

Actually Disney has all but verbally confirmed it. They have put out several videos that show the ways Pixar movies are all tied together in one universe. If you click on the NBC story link that I posted you will see a couple of the videos.

So really they have confirmed it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom