News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Disneylover152

I say most because I had no idea what was happening on the GOTG ride.

The GOTG ride is about how The Collector captured the Guardians of the Galaxy for his collection and museum. You are guests exploring the Tivan Collection. You enter The Collector's office, as a preshow for the museum you are going to experience, before you go in the Gantry Lift for your tour. Suddenly, Rocket falls out of the air vent, and turns of the video. He explains how he escaped from the Collection and now he needs to break his friends out of the collection. But there's one problem. He needs to use the gantry lift to reach the generator to turn it off so his friends can escape from the electricity stopping the Guardians from escaping. In order to use the gantry lift, you need to scan human hands. So you help Rocket sneak into the Gantry Lift with your tour group. He rewires the Gantry Lift to go straight up to the Generator, turns it off, and your gantry goes out of control, as well as all of the collections now being able to escape their cages and go around the Tivan Collection. Rocket saves his friends, and you go back down to where your tour started to exit your tour.

Does that help?

Why do Disney Rides need to have so much story to them these days? They need elaborate backstories now. If Peter Pan's Flight was created now, rather than just riding a floating pirate ship through Neverland, we would have to have multiple preshows explaining how the ACE Travel Group has now created Expeditions to Neverland and you are some of the first people to ride, and they had to capture Tinkerbelle's fairy friends to sprinkle pixie dust so these normal pirate ships can float. And then you have to get matched up with your fairy because Humans aren't allowed in Neverland anymore and yada yada yada.

Why can't we have simple rides anymore? Why is everything so much more complicated than necessary.

DanielBB8

I rode on it twice and never felt I needed to get the story. Imagineering adds detail to the story so guests feel like they didn’t get enough of it and want to go back and learn more. This was always the strategy. It does work because many people will go back numerous times to experience it. Few experiences all scenarios. This is no different than Pirates that has so much that you never experience it the same compared to the last time and there’s another upcoming change.

Backstories appear to serve as a foundation to build an attraction. They are not necessarily the story of the attraction itself. They are a mere additional layer. Sometimes the movie IP is the backstory to base an attraction. Again, you can just ignore the story.

TROR

The GOTG ride is about how The Collector captured the Guardians of the Galaxy for his collection and museum. You are guests exploring the Tivan Collection. You enter The Collector's office, as a preshow for the museum you are going to experience, before you go in the Gantry Lift for your tour. Suddenly, Rocket falls out of the air vent, and turns of the video. He explains how he escaped from the Collection and now he needs to break his friends out of the collection. But there's one problem. He needs to use the gantry lift to reach the generator to turn it off so his friends can escape from the electricity stopping the Guardians from escaping. In order to use the gantry lift, you need to scan human hands. So you help Rocket sneak into the Gantry Lift with your tour group. He rewires the Gantry Lift to go straight up to the Generator, turns it off, and your gantry goes out of control, as well as all of the collections now being able to escape their cages and go around the Tivan Collection. Rocket saves his friends, and you go back down to where your tour started to exit your tour.

Does that help?
source.gif

nevol

The GOTG ride is about how The Collector captured the Guardians of the Galaxy for his collection and museum. You are guests exploring the Tivan Collection. You enter The Collector's office, as a preshow for the museum you are going to experience,
Who goes into the director of a museum's office? Ever? Why is that the first stop on this tour? Especially if he isn't there???

before you go in the Gantry Lift for your tour.
WHAT MUSEUM ON THE PLANET IS VIEWED THROUGH A GANTRY LIFT?

Suddenly, Rocket falls out of the air vent, and turns of the video. He explains how he escaped from the Collection and now he needs to break his friends out of the collection. But there's one problem. He needs to use the gantry lift to reach the generator to turn it off so his friends can escape from the electricity stopping the Guardians from escaping. In order to use the gantry lift, you need to scan human hands.
So we, as guests to a museum, have unrestricted access to a fortress, the director of the museum's office, its boiler room, and its generator?

So you help Rocket sneak into the Gantry Lift with your tour group. He rewires the Gantry Lift to go straight up to the Generator, turns it off, and your gantry goes out of control, as well as all of the collections now being able to escape their cages and go around the Tivan Collection. Rocket saves his friends, and you go back down to where your tour started to exit your tour.

The least self explanatory story, EVER. It leverages nothing that makes sense, no genres, myths, stories, aspirations that guests could bring with them in their imagination, and instead asks us to suspend our disbelief not once, not twice, but like 100 freaking times. Not just suspend our disbelief, but rewrite our understanding of very simple fundamental things, like museums in the process, for all of this to work. I admit that as a theme park ride, you kind of passively go through it and the mood of the preshow is seductive. But how did this story get off the ground with the best of wdi and marvel working on it? Because this wasn't a purpose-built attraction and excuses and backstory are rewarded in this case? People think that more backstory makes the experience stronger or less imperfect?

Everything about that ride is bizarre. Why the edited welcome video with the guardians' banter? Why the second welcome video in the office, other than that is how the TZTOT began? It would make so much more sense, given that we'd already walked into the museum in the first room, that we would be on our way to other rooms when Rocket peeps his head out of the collector's office, inviting us to sneak in. No preshow video interruption. This way we aren't supposed to be in there. We are already in places we aren't supposed to be while rocket has escaped. We've already become part of the heist and would just continue to go along with it. This interruption in the ongoing museum tour would better justify our excursion backstage onto a gantry lift than trying to get us to accept that the museum tour was going to be administered on a gantry lift from the start. NOPE!

Now onto the preshow video in line for incredicoaster... what? This ONLY WORKS because it is a ride THEMED to the incredibles. Hastily themed/junk IP rides and roller coasters have preshows on TV screens. It is a roller coaster, it is an IP roller coaster ABOUT an IP roller coaster, it is on a pier. That's some meta stuff right there... Self referential theming, to inferior theme park design. They better hope people get it. It is the Simpsons equivalent attraction of DCA; a parody theme park attraction. Will people get it? Will people think it is funny? Is it supposed to be funny and making fun of theme parks, or is this truly just this terrible, the best they could come up with? Did they ever ask themselves what else they could do to tell the backstory that it is opening day and that the incredibles are there besides making some fake live news footage of the Incredibles there on opening day? Like, taking a tip from "Carthay Circle World Premiere" just up the street and dressing the area like it is opening day? Signage, balloons, banners/flags, a local news prop, a podium, etc? And if you can't tell that story with actual props or on the ride, then you should throw that plot idea in the garbage before sticking TVs in the queue. Where is my check?

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Who goes into the director of a museum's office? Ever? Why is that the first stop on this tour? Especially if he isn't there???

WHAT MUSEUM ON THE PLANET IS VIEWED THROUGH A GANTRY LIFT?

So we, as guests to a museum, have unrestricted access to a fortress, the director of the museum's office, its boiler room, and its generator?

The least self explanatory story, EVER. It leverages nothing that makes sense, no genres, myths, stories, aspirations that guests could bring with them in their imagination, and instead asks us to suspend our disbelief not once, not twice, but like 100 freaking times. Not just suspend our disbelief, but rewrite our understanding of very simple fundamental things, like museums in the process, for all of this to work. I admit that as a theme park ride, you kind of passively go through it and the mood of the preshow is seductive. But how did this story get off the ground with the best of wdi and marvel working on it? Because this wasn't a purpose-built attraction and excuses and backstory are rewarded in this case? People think that more backstory makes the experience stronger or less imperfect?

Everything about that ride is bizarre. Why the edited welcome video with the guardians' banter? Why the second welcome video in the office, other than that is how the TZTOT began? It would make so much more sense, given that we'd already walked into the museum in the first room, that we would be on our way to other rooms when Rocket peeps his head out of the collector's office, inviting us to sneak in. No preshow video interruption. This way we aren't supposed to be in there. We are already in places we aren't supposed to be while rocket has escaped. We've already become part of the heist and would just continue to go along with it. This interruption in the ongoing museum tour would better justify our excursion backstage onto a gantry lift than trying to get us to accept that the museum tour was going to be administered on a gantry lift from the start. NOPE!

Now onto the preshow video in line for incredicoaster... what? This ONLY WORKS because it is a ride THEMED to the incredibles. Hastily themed/junk IP rides and roller coasters have preshows on TV screens. It is a roller coaster, it is an IP roller coaster ABOUT an IP roller coaster, it is on a pier. That's some meta stuff right there... Self referential theming, to inferior theme park design. They better hope people get it. It is the Simpsons equivalent attraction of DCA; a parody theme park attraction. Will people get it? Will people think it is funny? Is it supposed to be funny and making fun of theme parks, or is this truly just this terrible, the best they could come up with? Did they ever ask themselves what else they could do to tell the backstory that it is opening day and that the incredibles are there besides making some fake live news footage of the Incredibles there on opening day? Like, taking a tip from "Carthay Circle World Premiere" just up the street and dressing the area like it is opening day? Signage, balloons, banners/flags, a local news prop, a podium, etc? And if you can't tell that story with actual props or on the ride, then you should throw that plot idea in the garbage before sticking TVs in the queue. Where is my check?

That's the biggest problem with these overlays. They rarely make sense from a thematic or storytelling perspective- and in the case of DCA, it lowers the overall integrity of the park.

It's also sad that since people never actually pay attention to the story of the ride, this doesn't negatively impact ticket sales. There are people out there who are genuinely excited for Pixar Pier, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why.

Since Guardians is flashier that Tower of Terror, it is more popular with the public. Since the Incredicoaster is gonna have characters people know and love plastered all over it, it's gonna be more popular. It's a formula that gets great results in the short term- but I don't expect any of DCA's rides to last 50 years like some of Disneyland's.

__r.jr

The one where imagineers shoehorn a flavor of the month IP into a purpose built attraction?

I am so grateful projects like Westcot and Port Disney never happened. One could only imagine the atrocities would befall upon them had they been built where originally intended, given the company's current direction. Shoehorning anything and everything into settings such as Edison Square, Thunder Mesa and Discovery Bay. Perish the thought.

Earlier in this thread my stance was questioned based on the assumption of why I still give my business to the same company I only later condemn. I haven't. I haven't set foot into the resort since the opening of Grizzly Peak Airfield. In addition, I admit, I've repeated myself relentlessly. Ad nauseam? Maybe so. Why?

It's because I, and perhaps others, have formed emotional connections with the content and products that Disney created; the product that was. I've accepted what has been happening. As I've too stated previously, the writing has been on the wall these last 10 years, however that doesn't mean I have to agree with it only on the merits that "Disney is a business."

I get it. I do. It is a business and businesses have to make money that sometimes involves change with it. However it doesn't make me wrong for caring about the how and why those business decisions because those decisions are affecting the things that made me love the company to begin with.

I formed strong attachments, emotional connections and important memories at Disney parks that meant so much that lead me to care about Disney, its creative choices and the future of the parks. Condemn me for being invested in this than just financially.

Goodness forbid one reads book after book from former Imagineers telling one how the parks were built and why specific choices were made only to see those principles and philosophies fall to the wayside in favor of swift, contrived financial grabs the likes of Mission: Breakout and Pixar Pier.

I will continue to hold a high standard because Disney was the one that set it from the very start.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

I am so grateful projects like Westcot and Port Disney never happened. One could only imagine the atrocities would befall upon them had they been built where originally intended. Shoehorning anything and everything into settings such as Edison Square, Thunder Mesa and Discovery Bay. Perish the thought.

Earlier in this thread my stance was questioned based on the assumption of why I still give my business to the same company I only later condemn. I haven't. I haven't set foot into the resort since the opening of Grizzly Peak Airfield. In addition, I admit, I've repeated myself relentlessly. Ad nauseam? Maybe so. Why?

It's because I, and perhaps others, have formed emotional connections with the content and products that Disney created; the product that was. I've accepted what has been happening. As I've too stated previously, the writing has been on the wall these last 10 years, however that doesn't mean I have to agree with it only on the merits that "Disney is a business."

I get it. I do. It is a business and businesses have to make money that sometimes involves change with it. However it doesn't make me wrong for caring about the how and those business decisions because those decisions are affecting the things that made me love the company to begin with.

I formed strong attachments, emotional connections and important memories at Disney parks that meant so much that lead me to care about Disney, its creative choices and the future of the parks. Condemn me for being invested in this than just financially.

Goodness forbid one reads book after book from former Imagineers telling one how the park was built and why specific choices were made only to see those principles and philosophies fall to the wayside in favor of swift, contrived financial grabs the likes of Mission: Breakout and Pixar Pier.

I will continue to hold a high standard because Disney was the one that set it from the very start.

I agree with all of this. There is nothing like letting a succession of greed turn something that once stood for quality and values into Walmart.

Plus, admittedly there is a small part of me that still holds out hope that there is a teeny tiny chance that someday Walt's frozen head will be attached to an AA body and be able to think and move again. His first action will be to go from office to office rounding up the Disney Bobs for immediate eviction from the company. Stranger things have happened, right?

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I am so grateful projects like Westcot and Port Disney never happened. One could only imagine the atrocities would befall upon them had they been built where originally intended, given the company's current direction. Shoehorning anything and everything into settings such as Edison Square, Thunder Mesa and Discovery Bay. Perish the thought.

I get it. I do. It is a business and businesses have to make money that sometimes involves change with it. However it doesn't make me wrong for caring about the how and why those business decisions because those decisions are affecting the things that made me love the company to begin with.

Goodness forbid one reads book after book from former Imagineers telling one how the parks were built and why specific choices were made only to see those principles and philosophies fall to the wayside in favor of swift, contrived financial grabs the likes of Mission: Breakout and Pixar Pier.

You fell in love with the parks and company of a different generation. Which by the way there is nothing wrong with.

Every generation is going to have their own personal struggles with the parks and the company as things they love change. I'm a realist and very logical, but I too have my own personal struggles with changes in the parks and company.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

I guess Disney nerds don't like layers to their attraction stories. It's too much for their little flying Dumbo brains to process.
Yeah, it ruins the integrity of the theme to have a complicated storyline that they ignore anyways, but not really since they know it so they have contempt for it.

Curious Constance

If the story wasn't there it wouldn't be "immersive". So Disney can't win. There is a lot of whining going on around here ever since Constance broke off with Iger.

There is nothing I can do about an ex with an ax to grind who comes here and poses as various people like "DanielBB8" and "DisneyIrishGuy" and defends literally everything that Disney does just to annoy me.

DanielBB8

There is nothing I can do about an ex with an ax to grind who comes here and poses as various people like "DanielBB8" and "DisneyIrishGuy" and defends literally everything that Disney does just to annoy me.
I’m not various people. I don’t engage with you. Not really if I can help it. I had some conversations with IrishGuy, but I’m definitely not him.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I can't speak for the other, but I can say for sure that I don't make nearly the amount the money you're ex does.

On a serious note, just because I don't express hatred or disappointment here constantly doesn't mean I'm making excuses or defending Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom