News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

SuddenStorm

I'm not saying Paradise Pier is the ideal Disney created land nor is it amongst the most immersive. But it is the idea of a California pier Disney'fied with a caliber of attractions you would not find at a regular pier amusement park and attention to detail you would not find at a Six Flags.

I'm not here to have a pi$$ing match over which is better between PP or TSL. I'm just saying the critiques when comparing them are a little unfair.

What you see below is almost identical to what you will see in June -- there's nothing that will take that away.

View attachment 270073

That picture doesn't show the actual pier. I can't say I'm overly fond of a 20 foot Jessie, and an assortment of random character cutout being plastered on already existing buildings.

dweezil78

That picture doesn't show the actual pier. I can't say I'm overly fond of a 20 foot Jessie, and an assortment of random character cutout being plastered on already existing buildings.

You're being a little bit literal, don't you think? Also, pretty sure those visiting TSL will also be faced with a 20 foot Jessie, even though they're supposed to be the size of toys, but are actually somehow a fraction of the size of them?

maxresdefault.jpg

The Mur

I think blame lies with Lasseter. I think he was upset that Bug Land was going to get steamrolled for Marvel and insisted that Pixar be inserted somewhere and this is the only place.

A seaside pier is no place for those characters to come to life. That said, what was there at the pier was not very good and this isn't an improvement so it is still one of the weakest areas of the park in my opinion.

Rich T

We all say it's crap now but we will all be singing it's praises when it's done. That is the pattern around here.
Not I. I'm sorry, but in this case the Emperor has no clothes. I'll be avoiding DCA completely this year (and, probably, all of DLR), but I'll be very curious to read about average guest response to this charade. I do think Disney has very much underestimated just how beloved a ride California Screamin' was in its original pre-stupid phase. One thing's clear, though: Disney'd better be VERY up-front in their marketing about Incredicoaster being a reskin and not a new ride or there'll be a lot of very unhappy vacationers lining up at Guest Services.

dweezil78

I think blame lies with Lasseter. I think he was upset that Bug Land was going to get steamrolled for Marvel and insisted that Pixar be inserted somewhere and this is the only place.

A seaside pier is no place for those characters to come to life. That said, what was there at the pier was not very good and this isn't an improvement so it is still one of the weakest areas of the park in my opinion.

I'm sure the thinking internally was -- by June 2018, we need a Toy Story Land or some variety of one in every Disney resort in the world. WDW, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Paris all will have one. Disney Tokyo Sea has a mini area for Mania, and Paradise Pier was the obvious choice here as it was already home to Midway Mania and had a few attractions/restaurants where characters could be pretty easily swapped out. Because of Midway Mania existing there, it obviously made no sense to put it anywhere else, thus Pixar Pier was the compromise.

SuddenStorm

You're being a little bit literal, don't you think? Also, pretty sure those visiting TSL will also be faced with a 20 foot Jessie, even though they're supposed to be the size of toys, but are actually somehow a fraction of the size of them?

maxresdefault.jpg

I haven't been following the WDW projects, so I'm not aware of what's going on over there. I just don't think we should be accepting of Disney changing the pier since it's basically the same thing. I'd rather have them putting money into new and original projects, not overlays and paint jobs.

nevol

No thanks, I'll take TSL over Pixar Pier. It looks like the best TSL to date (which isn't saying much) with its launch coaster and a Mater style attraction. It will finally utilize the old backlot tour area and give TSMM a better purpose than a stand alone studio. PP is a totally unnecessary overlay for a land that only needed a few tweaks instead of a cheap character change up and muddled themeing.
I'd take pixar pier over that pile of garbage. The roller coaster is themed better in california before and after the changes. It is the longest steel coaster on earth, by the way. great pacing, actually fast and forceful. Both lands have midway mania. only one has a ferris wheel, a body of water, and world of color. Could it use more realistic topography? perhaps but it beats the "immersion" of being in "Andy's back yard" where trees are somehow a stand-in for blades of grass.

A pier full of tacky junk, believable, if not desirable. A back yard full of oversized junk, maybe less offensive, but also not very nuanced. Works for 5 acres, but for 11? I really think WDW fans are overestimating how fun that coaster will be. It won't be a good coaster at all, folks.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

what I'm hoping is that once this is done, that Disney moves on to expanding other parts of the property that have overlapping themes.
Do we really need to have Buzz lightyear anymore?
Still don't understand why turtle talk wasn't moved over to Pixar pier. I still think they can easily reclaim some of the water area just west of the ferris wheel and between the Western Helix and silyy symhpny and fit a good size themed building there. The inside could be a charming theater that could be used to relocate Turtle talk.

Once done then they might as well remove the bandstand area they are working on and turn that into the entrance for another much needed darkride for the area. In this case i wouldn't mind a nicely well done trackless dark ride based on coco or even a fume ride. I'm sure they can a way of making it fit between the coaster supports and the backstage area.

consolidate as many Pixar themes as they can in the Pier minus Cars and remove Buzz lightyear and Nemo for Disneyland expansion.

dweezil78

I haven't been following the WDW projects, so I'm not aware of what's going on over there. I just don't think we should be accepting of Disney changing the pier since it's basically the same thing. I'd rather have them putting money into new and original projects, not overlays and paint jobs.

Sure we all would. Why can’t they do both though? If half the park hadn’t been redone in the past 5 years and we weren’t getting SWL and all the updates across the way I’d be furious as a Disney fan. But projects take all shapes and sizes. Some are great, some are not so great. That’s nothing new. There will always be bad decisions informed by business related motives when there are shareholders to answer to.

To say I won’t be visiting DCA over this or even MB though is a bit overly dramatic and childish when there’s also been some really great work done too.

Hattieboxghost110

You may wanna wander into the TSL thread in the WDW section before making these weird blanket statements about WDW fans. There is a very large amount of resistance to TSL. Even the posts you're quoting are clearly not over the moon about it.

Believe it or not, it's possible to think both concepts are trash.

With that said, overall execution of TSL will certainly be better than Pixar Pier. I don't see how anybody could deny that. TSL will be cheap and boring, but it at least makes SOME attempt at placemaking. Granted, that place (Andy's backyard) is boring and not an environment that anybody was really clamoring to visit, but I digress.

Pixar Pier is just... crap.

Bruh, you wanna step outside?

brb1006

You may wanna wander into the TSL thread in the WDW section before making these weird blanket statements about WDW fans. There is a very large amount of resistance to TSL. Even the posts you're quoting are clearly not over the moon about it.

Believe it or not, it's possible to think both concepts are trash.

With that said, overall execution of TSL will certainly be better than Pixar Pier. I don't see how anybody could deny that. TSL will be cheap and boring, but it at least makes SOME attempt at placemaking. Granted, that place (Andy's backyard) is boring and not an environment that anybody was really clamoring to visit, but I digress.

Pixar Pier is just... crap.
I don't think @Hattieboxghost110 visits the WDW forum as often.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom