News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Hattieboxghost110

Homie, at least give us a warning before you post such graphic things.

1200px-Parental_Advisory_label.svg_.png

__r.jr

I hesitate to pin the blame on WDI. They haven’t been given much to work with.

Walt Disney Imagineering most certainly should take the blame or at the very least not be excused.

Iger, Chapek or Team Disney Anaheim may be the ones handing out marching orders however WDI is a creative group whose founding principle is to take poor or sub-par wants of management and turn them into valuable products.

Pixar Pier is clear evidence of the matter. But then again they've been broken for a while.

I still haven't forgiven them of what they did to New Orleans Square.

shortstop

Walt Disney Imagineering most certainly should take the blame or at the very least not be excused.

Iger, Chapek or Team Disney Anaheim may be the ones handing out marching orders however WDI is a creative group whose founding principle is to take poor or sub-par wants of management and turn them into valuable products.

Pixar Pier is clear evidence of the matter. But then again they've been broken for a while.

I still haven't forgiven them of what they did to New Orleans Square.
If they’re told “put Pixar into Paradise Pier” which is my guess of what happened there isn’t much they can really do with that.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

If they’re told “put Pixar into Paradise Pier” which is my guess of what happened there isn’t much they can really do with that.
That is probably exactly what the directive was...but they're still responsible for making the look, feel, and overall atmosphere of a space. To say that these renderings are the absolute best that they could come up with is...well...staggering.

Rich T

I would have preferred a cheap dark ride full of plywood cutouts based on Coco or Inside Out over any of this. Heck, I'd prefer a life-size Sam Elliott T-Rex from Good Dinosaur built for the sole purpose of hawking sunglasses over this.

dweezil78

I believe this might have been said in this thread before by someone else, but the recent pictures got me thinking about it again.

Was part of this managements attempt to put a TSL into DLR without really committing to a full TSL? I mean look at some of the new concept art we just got for stuff around TSMM, it looks like stuff you'd find in a kids backyard. Sound familiar?

Oh well, other than the Incredicoaster the rest of it doesn't appeal to me, but as others have said it wasn't a well executed area anyways.

Of course that’s all this is. It’s no coincidence they both open within days of one another.

brb1006

By the way, I put my money where my mouth is. I stopped visiting DCA once they got rid of my 3 favorite attractions: Soarin' over California, TOT, & Aladdin Show.

It sucks because I LOVE DCA and it was going in a great direction up until 2015. The last cool addition was the conversion of Condor Flats to Grizzly Peak Airfield. I thought Condor Flats was horrible and the worst land in DCA.
Then visit the Tokyo parks in the future.

SSG

Just catching up on this; been down with man-flu the last couple of days.

So if I'm getting the 'story' of the Incredicoaster right, the Incredible family have a coaster themed to them on Pixar Pier; they go to open the attraction; we go to ride the new ride; Jack-Jack escapes, then hi-jinx ensue and the Incredibles race around the coaster after Jack-Jack, with us along for the ride.

So far, so stupid.

But how will the coaster be themed to the Incredibles in the first place? If the conceit is the real Incredibles have a coaster, what does that coaster look like? Before the mayhem? Is it just going to be new colors and random decorations? You can't really theme a coaster to characters, so will it be like the various DC character coasters in Six Flags world ('just slap the Batman logo on there and call it good')? If so, this seems like a way of doing the cheap Six Flags makeover, but adding a thin layer of story over that.

__r.jr

There most certainly is. The Victorian gingerbread wood template design could have continued in addition of applying various Pixar characters. Yes, it dilutes that thematic narrative further but it would be more receptive and somewhat of a better compromise.

Speaking of Tokyo, look at Turtle Talk with Crush (queue specifically) in the American Waterfront at DisneySea. It's a stretch and not fully realized to be sure but it's a tolerable formula of how to place characters and films from a modern animation studio into an idealized time period that blends both fantasy and history.

What we should be getting is more razzle dazzle a la Toyville Trolly Park and less kitschy Route 66. Especially when the latter can be found and executed better just steps away from the pier.

No Name

Obviously neither are complete yet but I think I'll take Pixar Pier over Toy Story Land. In my opinion, the attraction roster is certainly better, the land fits the theme of the park better, and it's even less aesthetically displeasing. Pixar Pier is a cheap direct step backwards while Toy Story Land is an expensive indirect step backwards. Both are embarrassing.

But it's not a competition. I don't get why people refer to the resorts with "ours" and "yours" as though they're teams in a sports league. If you are a true theme park fan, you root for every park and every resort.

which is a fact.
That's an opinion.

MKeeler

I wouldn't be surprised if PP was considered for a TSL-revamp, but when they ran into the problem of bumping up against the lake, they probably just thought, aw screw it, we'll just throw in more Pixar IP and it'll be a great area!
This could have led to such a greater result had they followed the Toyville Trolley Park from Disney Sea. It has such a better and more transporting aesthetic while still incorporating the IP desired.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom