News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Hattieboxghost110

So we would rather walk through the mouth of a giant Woody than get in a roundup with Jessie?

ab1dd836c1e08563ab668272b5ba0635.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is a family friendly website. Peddle your smut elsewhere! ;)

Ismael Flores

what i find funny is that what they built in Tokyo where the original plans for DCA during the concept phase of redevelopment for DCA where being worked on. All of Paradise Pier was going to be a toy Story land with the orange stinger being a toy story alien attraction and Maliboomer themed to the army men.

something changed and the whole Toy story idea was dropped in favor of a more generic seaside pier idea.

The art was then used to build Toyville in Tokyo and now they are back with a Pixar idea for DCA.

they really could have continued the aesthetics they have now and just added pixar elements but like someone mentioned WDI is really to blame for this because they where probably told to add Pixar and they came up with the ideas of what it would look like to present it to Chapek and TDA.

I know we all like to blame Iger but the more i hear him in interviews the more i believe that he is really hands off for the most part and leaves the job up to his team starting with Bob Chapek.
Even recent interviews of some of the latest projects when he is asked questions he says refers to his teams/ departments as -I'm sure someone in the team is working on something for it or is thinking about it-

To me it seems like he is presented with the final ideas and then he gets involved with budgets and gives his two cents on the idea but leaves Bob and WDI to do their jobs. Most of the time we prefer that CEO do that but if this is the case it would be great if this time around he questioned the reasoning for undong something that was started already. In this case all the work that was already done on the pier previously.
Why spend more money on re-doing what works, instead continue expanding to what doesn't and use that money to make it fit the environment.

At this point the deed is done and will open in a few months, I'm just hoping that at the end the final project has plenty of whimsical detail, great lighting and a fun overall atmosphere that fits the bill of a crazy amusement pier. If they can pull off the effects inside the coaster along with the much needed movement on the water with the spray feature than that will definitely add to the area

Castle Cake Apologist

See what I'm talking about, Grand Canyon. At least us DL folks are keeping it real here about how awful PP is. You guys just keep your head in the sand and refuse to criticize the crap that is TSL.

The only one I see that has the stones to call a spade a spade about TSL is Marni. Disneyhead is wishy-washy about it going back and forth how it's value-engineered, but then praises the "rides." (Mater only works because it's a companion piece to RSR)

Legit question. Does TSL even have 1 functional Animatronic in the whole 11 acre, 9 figure budget land (not counting TSM)? Hell as crappy as PP is, at least we're getting an AA, whereas before we had 0 AA's.

http://www./2018/03/animatronic-lux...guests-entrance-pixar-pier-disneyland-resort/

You may wanna wander into the TSL thread in the WDW section before making these weird blanket statements about WDW fans. There is a very large amount of resistance to TSL. Even the posts you're quoting are clearly not over the moon about it.

Believe it or not, it's possible to think both concepts are trash.

With that said, overall execution of TSL will certainly be better than Pixar Pier. I don't see how anybody could deny that. TSL will be cheap and boring, but it at least makes SOME attempt at placemaking. Granted, that place (Andy's backyard) is boring and not an environment that anybody was really clamoring to visit, but I digress.

Pixar Pier is just... crap.

dweezil78

With that said, overall execution of TSL will certainly be better than Pixar Pier. I don't see how anybody could deny that. TSL will be cheap and boring, but it at least makes SOME atempt at placemaking. Pixar Pier is just... crap.

Pixar Pier (the overlay) is crap, no doubt, but you seem to be only focused at the overlay and disregarding the foundation of what's already there (i.e. Paradise Pier) which is a pretty great launch coaster, Midway Mania, an interesting multi-option ferris wheel, a pleasant little carousel, a solid bar/lounge (which I'm sure will still be solid even if lamely themed), and a beautiful photo-worthy location on the water.

Absolutely none of that gets taken away just because they've decided to add some new hokey Pixar decor or storylines.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

We all say it's crap now but we will all be singing it's praises when it's done. That is the pattern around here.
I can pretty much guarantee you I won't be singing any of its praises.

In fact, outside of an incidental spin on TSMM, I can safely say I won't even be going near this corner of the parks.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Pixar Pier (the overlay) is crap, no doubt, but you seem to be only focused at the overlay and disregarding the foundation of what's already there (i.e. Paradise Pier) which is a pretty great launch coaster, Midway Mania, an interesting multi-option ferris wheel, a pleasant little carousel, a solid bar/lounge (which I'm sure will still be solid even if lamely themed), and a beautiful photo-worthy location on the water.

Absolutely none of that gets taken away just because they've decided to add some new hokey Pixar decor or storylines.

Carnival games, roller coasters, food and merchandise locations, Ferris Wheels, and carousels are a staple at almost every amusement park.

Hell, Six Flags Magic Mountain has a game ride, carnival games, a launch coaster, and a carousel- so why even bother going to DCA?

The theme and execution make the product better than the sum of its parts. And in the case of Pixar Pier, it seems that the theme and execution are being harmed.

dweezil78

Carnival games, roller coasters, food and merchandise locations, Ferris Wheels, and carousels are a staple at almost every amusement park.

Hell, Six Flags Magic Mountain has a game ride, carnival games, a launch coaster, and a carousel- so why even bother going to DCA?

The theme and execution make the product better than the sum of its parts. And in the case of Pixar Pier, it seems that the theme and execution are being harmed.

I'm not saying Paradise Pier is the ideal Disney created land nor is it amongst the most immersive. But it is the idea of a California pier Disney'fied with a caliber of attractions you would not find at a regular pier amusement park and attention to detail you would not find at a Six Flags.

I'm not here to have a pi$$ing match over which is better between PP or TSL. I'm just saying the critiques when comparing them are a little unfair.

What you see below is almost identical to what you will see in June -- there's nothing that will take that away.

IMG_8145.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom